Clan Wars - 4v4 clan league

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, August 24, 2014.

1. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

They call it the "Avatar iPhone" because... you know... you can bend it
    squishypon3, Clopse and reptarking like this.
  2. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

I watched, (and normally play) on a projector, so just under 3 meters wide. :p
    they all look like experimental units to me.
  3. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Looking forward to saturday ! The Cult vs. Promethean
  4. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

We played an in-house practice game with Saturday's team going up against bunch of us using Cult mega base strats on their home planet.

Was actually fairly close match, we (the team acting as the cult) managed to take out 2 of their comms early game, but then just got out-eco'd and surrounded. Still, worked a lot better than I expected.
    cdrkf and proeleert like this.
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cult take advantage of this belief that their play style is known and try something different. Unpredictability can be a very useful strategy.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

That would be the ultimate bait and switch. Would laugh if they legitimately hustled a game of PA this way and won.
    cdrkf and cptconundrum like this.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It wouldn't really be hustling. I just think making assumptions about how another team will play can be dangerous because you might forget to practice dealing with something unexpected.
  8. thetrophysystem

Could legit see Clopse using a boom bot snipe on enemy startup/com, while the enemy builds air assuming that Clopse would build air so you can rush a hummingbird to shoot down his air fabber.
    Clopse likes this.
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

True, though as a team we're pretty used to the 'normal' strategies used (which is essentially spread out and take as much territory as possible). We just thought it would be a nice experiment to give the 'Cult method' a try. As @lapsedpacifist said it was better than we expected (2 coms down with a 3rd almost dead in 8 mins), imo had we been more focused on a decisive and critically *very fast* attack plan it could be a winner.

Have you every considered Promethean might be planning on doing the ol' switcheroo on the Cult and using their own strategy against them eh?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  10. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Exactly what I was going to say, if they switch up their strategies then, well they'll be playing normally (unless you can think of any other unusual spawn strats?) and we practice for that every time we play...
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. thetrophysystem

What if, they dragged you into some sort of YuGiOh style shadow game, and the game was balanced but not the same meta, and **** all did a different thing at a different strength, and naval and all worked and stuff.

Nvm, I am just being creative in my fantasies...
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

You just know Uber will drop the new patch an hour before the match :D You never know, both teams playing with a brand new balance might not be as one sided as we're expecting. The Cult guys get better each time they play :)
    klavohunter likes this.
  13. thetrophysystem

I like the Cult. They could have a better name lol. Besides that, I like how they don't use existing strategy, they use different strategy from existing opponents, and whether it works or not, they are good so it is a valid "gauge" as to how balanced the game is for strategic variety.

Yes, I am saying there should me more viable strategies. For instance, I want to build combat fabbers with my tanks. Any combat fabber use is wrong by design in this game. Tournament play should probably just remove those units from the unitlist and buildbar, because they are wrong choices no matter what. That way, at least you only see "possible" choices.
  14. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Less then 4 hours to go for the Cult vs Promethean !
  15. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

If you won your planet you can use combat fabricators to clean up the wreckages.
  16. thetrophysystem

Depends. If you have spare energy, basic fabbers still excel at that.

Heck, there is a brief moment, if you spawn with few metal points in the middle of dense forest, where you can build a combat fabber real early, and if you still manage to have enough units to defend his early units, then you gain a brief moment to double your production and use that production to gain the kill or at least some distant metal.

Then again, even that is questionable, depending on how many early units you can get.
  17. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

AND WE'RE LIVE with the sixth fixture of Clan Wars, The Cult vs. Promethean.
  18. exodusesports

Stream is over.
    Check results here : Clan Wars.

Keep checking the site for the upcoming fixtures and Mini Mods tourney next week.
    Last edited: November 23, 2014
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. exodusesports

Clan Wars will resume in January.
    Bsport and Clopse like this.
  20. exodusesports