Clan War possibilities

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by knub23, July 6, 2014.

1. knub23

knub23 Active Member

Yesterday with the tournament I saw that there are a few clans out there now. But some are more or less playing on their own. So I want to present a little idea I have in mind for some time now. Bear in mind that this is just an idea, I'm not organizing this right now (I don't own a site, I don't know casters and I don't have maps). This is just in the idea stage and I wanted to have some feedback and maybe get some clans together to play against each other. If you have the means to organize this, go ahead, I would appreciate it.

A set of rules for competitive Clan Wars.

1. Team Size
    1.1 Each clan nominates 4 or 5 players (see 1.4 for more information).
    1.2 4 of them have to be clan members for at least 2 weeks, 1 Guest is allowed
    1.3 4 of them will play in the war, 1 is a substitute
    1.4 If a team nominates 4 players and 1 player has to leave the war for some reason, the clan war is automatically lost 4-0.

2. Team set up
    2.1 The teams have to be set up according to the PA stats ranking (see example below)
    2.2 Players not ranked in PA stats have to be placed in the last seats of the team (as PA stats is mandatory for participation, they will be ranked for the next war)
    2.3 Guests have to be set on a seat according to their PA stats rank
    2.4 If a substitute has to play, he has to be seated according to his PA stats rank

3. Format
    3.1 The war consists of two 2v2 games, four 1v1 games and one 4v4 game.
    3.2 The order of the game is as followed: First game: 2v2; Second game: 2v2; Then four 1v1s; Final game: 4v4
    3.3 The 2v2 matches are played simultaneously
    3.4 After both 2v2s are finished all 1v1s are played simultaneously too
    3.5 If one team has four wins, the clan war is over. However, running matches in 1v1 have to be finished (for ranking purposes)

4. Match set-up
    4.1 Teams play according to the following set-up:
    First 2v2: Player A.1 and Player A.2 vs Player B1. and Player B.2
    Second 2v2: Player A.3 and Player A.4 vs Player B3. and Player B.4
    First 1v1: Player A.1 vs Player B.1
    Second 1v1: Player A.2 vs Player B.2
    Third 1v1: Player A.3 vs Player B.3
    Fourth 1v1: Player A.4 vs Player B.4
    Final 4v4: Team A vs Team B

5. Maps/Rehosts
    To be specified.

6. Casters
    To be specified.

-------------------------

Examples/Additions

Example teams:
    Team A:
    Player A.1 (10th on PA stats)
    Player A.2 (Guest, 12th on PA stats)
    Player A.3 (50th on PA stats)
    Player A.4 (no ranking yet)
    Player A.5 (substitute)

Team B:
    Player B.1 (4th on PA stats)
    Player B.2 (21th on PA stats)
    Player B.3 (no ranking yet)
    Player B.4 (no ranking yet)
    Player B.5 (substitute, 30th on PA stats)

-------------------------

So what do you think of this? I wanted to make it competitive, therefore the focus on 1v1 games. But there should be some team gaming in there too. I think the opportunity of 1 Guest is needed. This gives non-clan players the option to join in the format. Smaller clans will profit from this too.

Obviously I don't have ideas regarding maps, but there could be some rules for biomes or number of planets and multiplanet spawns. I'm thinking of multiplanet spawns in the final game.

Another point is the Match set-up. You could argue that it would be better to have a cross system for the 1v1 where Player A.1 vs Player B.2 and so on are the match-ups. This would lead to more close games.

I think a full distance match would take 3 hours, with 1 hour for each stage (2v2; 1v1 and 4v4) of the war. So the format is clearly not suited for an evening tournament with multiple of these matches. It is more of a league format where some clans apply and you play each other every weekend. Final question: Is there clans out there with interest in something like that? You could have a very loose schedule where the teams that match up can pick a time and date within 1 week.

Important questions:
    - Is the focus on 1v1s ok or do you want more team matches?
    - Do think a cross-pairing system for the 1v1 matches is better?
    - Do you have ideas for additional rules?
    - Do you think this is a good format and has potential for a clan league?

Thank you for your time :)