Camera controls.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bradaz85, October 18, 2013.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

There are other control schemes? WASD, Arrow, or move mouse to the end of the screen. I don't understand what's wrong...
  2. mikaelallan

mikaelallan New Member

The problem is that the control to rotate the screen is not mappable in game. Which is one of the CORE elements of the game and necessary to be able to play this game with proficiency.

"wasd" controls don't work since I use them to hotkey quick bar functions.
    Arrow keys don't work because my hand is on the mouse.

With such a simple fix to make the screen rotation button mappable in game to a different keystroke, it's clear to me the designers have a ways to go in their understanding of modern game UI controls.

Why are there so many of you who don't understand the problem?? This issue is CLEARLY experienced by a significant percentage of the playerbase who all experience the SAME ISSUE. A simple google search produces ample instances of individuals who are searching for a solution to this very problem.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Because many people do not feel the way you do. No amount of caps lock will change that.
  4. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

I'm fine using the middle mouse scroll wheel click down to rotate, I find it very initiative and easy to use. (it's not uncommon to work this way for CAD programs, and other 3D visualization software.

I guess this is like how some people like having inverted 'flight style' controls for FPS games, it's just that some peoples brains work differently.
    Last edited: October 27, 2015
    squishypon3 and dom314 like this.
  5. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I agree, it would be better to have those controls re-mappable. I am fortunate enough to have a proper mouse, so I don't face the same problem, but it would still be nice.
  6. mikaelallan

mikaelallan New Member

So the people who don't understand why this is an issue, are those that don't feel the way I do? Thus making them incapable of seeing why this would be an issue for those that do? Caps are added for emphasis. It would seem that communication, and seeing things through others point of view is something else we feel differently on. I suppose it would make sense then, for those that are confused by the issue at hand, to not be able to grasp the nature of the problem.

I have a fairly nice gaming mouse. It works quite well, and I did ultimately go into my mouse settings and remap my buttons there so that I could make the game playable for me. Like you said, it would be better for those controls to be mappable through the game options. Its just such a simple, and basic UI feature that should be included in the game.
  7. TheTopMostDog

TheTopMostDog New Member

Personally, I made it here because I want rotate (read: not pan) on the middle mouse, which is the function of holding ALT and using middle mouse. I have mapped my mouse thumb button (snipe button) to middle mouse, offering me much easier actuation in all games.

My issue is the redundance of the grab-and-drag panning when you already have other (better) methods of movement, such as (and, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread): zooming out and back in to a new location, arrow keys (left handed operation) and, of course, screen-edge panning. Why is there a fourth method of panning while rotation (debatably a highly necessary control for three-dimensional maps; Populous:TB understood this) is buried under layers of key modifiers?

[Edit: I also have no reserve in necroing a thread if its context has not yet been addressed. In this instance, I believe there is still a lot of work that can be done to improve the camera (including pitch adjustment when not in free cam; let the core of the planet remain in the centre of my screen), be that through further game development or community made fixes and modifications.]