Bubble shields in PA:T?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by philoscience, August 24, 2015.

?

Would you like to see bubble shields in PA:T?

1. Yes

63.5%
  2. No

36.5%
  1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Now we all know that for the vanilla PA vision, shields were a hard no. But so were experimentals, and the titans have added loads to PA. Some are calling for various nerfs to the new units, but I think we should revisit the role of shields in PA. Anything goes now, right? With the extra powerful new units being available, the intensity of PA:T could well warrant the introduction of bubble shields. They'd need to be carefully balanced, ideally so they are still less effective than being on the offensive. We don't want to turn PA into a turtle fest. But Shields might make it so two closely matched opponents have a bit of back and forth in the final confrontation, rather than just dropping a nuke unit or titan from orbit. Shields give these extra big units an even bigger purpose - smashing through defenses to wreck the enemy commander. I think it could make a great addition!

Shields could be T2/T3, expensive, and draw a lot of energy (20-30k each maybe?). You can only fit so much in them, so if a player attacked your energy somewhere, boom go the shields!
    Last edited: August 24, 2015
    tatsujb and PhoneySpring646 like this.
  2. Matster

Matster Active Member

Yeah, that's an awsome idea. It would be great to have at least limited shields that would allow you to hold a chokepoint or something much longer then now. In SupCom it was really the most epic thing when you had hundreds of units attacking your base and you could just barely hold on with the help of shields and maybe even turn the tide of war at the end.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I supported the idea of stuff that Uber didn't want in base PA being in TITANS, but I really dislike the notion of bubble shields. I don't feel that the increase in mechanical depth offsets the potential balance problems shields in general present.

The problem with shields in any form is they're essentially ablative HP. This means weapons have to be balanced to a) account for the possibility of shields while b) still remaining balanced against shield-less strategies. This is an initial concern.

The second is how they're implemented; what do they draw from in terms of resources. By tying shields to either resource type, you're buffing the turtling strategy straight-off (regardless of how useless turtling currently is in PA) and encouraging players to sink resources into doing so. Which presents the problem of if turtling is more efficient, more players will do that because it's easier (and always will be, in any game) than mounting a strategic offensive. There is an axiomatic problem in that even if it isn't efficient, players will still try it anyhow, get smashed, and complain that shields are too inefficient. Thus feeding back into the former issue of efficiency if they ever got buffed as a result.

Experimentals are a new class of unit. Offensive (mainly), resource-intensive and mostly game-changers. These are good, because you can account for balance on a unit-per-unit basis. Shields affect the entire dynamic of the game, in a defensive manner, and will tame the rather uniquely-aggressive game design that both PA and TITANS manages so far.

Of course, this is mostly opinion.
  4. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I voted yes but really I'm not sure. We certainly don't need them, but another defensive structure or mobile unit would be cool, and I for sure think that it would be possible to balance them. I would be slightly concerned about there usage in terms of covering whole bases, because the area build doesn't work too well for stuff like umbrellas (when trying to build lots in a cramped base), and moving individual mobile shield units to equally spaced positions sounds like a pain in the arse (and then you select your army and accidentally move the carefully positioned shield units aaaarrrrghh). So yeah, don't worry about balance, worry more about "would it be fun or a actually a giant pain in the butt"?
  5. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

why not have a titan static base shield that works like the cybran bomb bouncer experimental(i.e. only blocks shots from above) but on a larger scale that can only block artillery, orbital weapons fire and the orbital titan teleporting units but would not stop an orbital fab constructing a teleporter and to counter this shield we could give the SSX the ability to penetrate the shield
    billthebluebot likes this.
  6. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

Maybe not bubble shields, but something that can do similar stuff. Because shields are simple - you need to think only when placig them. Maybe some close-range AOE high damage turrets, some anti-progectile pulse laser orbital platforms will do the trick.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

8. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think i'm rather content with fast unit production and of constant trading than with having ablative HP.

Having free HP is just a rabbit hole I don't really want to get into.
    xanoxis, igncom1, MrTBSC and 2 others like this.
  9. huangth

huangth Active Member

The wall is indeed a shield which only blocks the horizontal fire.

I am not sure should we have a shield which blocks the fire from all directions.
    This may hurt the game.
    It may neutralize the arty, air and orbital units.

And we already have the healing units which can follow the troop.
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Shields could solve some balance issues with orbital and especially the Helios.
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

What we really need are some nice Giant Sandworms.
    vyolin, maxpowerz, tesseracta and 9 others like this.
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I must admit, after being defeated last night with a helios drop, I think some stronger anti orbital defences might be in order.

Esentially I think there should be something to prevent a helios spawning *above my commander* and gating in loads of t2 units around him in the middle of a heavily defended base.

I have circa 10 umbrellas, anti nukes and lots of t2 missile bots + orbital fighters and destroyers and couldn't stop that thing in time.

I love the helios, think it's a brilliant idea, although I think the fact is it's far too easy to go for the quick win with it.

Really an anti helios defence (e.g. an orbital shield dome?), should be *very expensive to run* and provide only defence of a small-ish area. That way it means that when you attack late game with a helios, you have to attack from the outskirts of a base.

I think this will improve game play for one thing- as I had a huge army that would have looked so epic clashing into the one my opponent dropped on me, helios overhead. However currently it's just *find com -> Appear overhead -> drop t2 -> win* without the epic fight :(

The other Titans are far better balanced as they can't just emerge from space transit over you like that.
    Greendolph, Elate, tatsujb and 2 others like this.
  13. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I think if only helions had a cooldown on orbital arrival of a few seconds like any other orbital unit it would be good already. Now you literally have an manhattan on the floor the instand the helion arrives and that is pretty much bs.
    vyolin, Elate and proeleert like this.
  14. temeter

Well, anti-orbital defenses are something different. Maybe we need just some stronger anti-orbital cannon? Moar bluehawks?
    igncom1 likes this.
  15. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Post Titans I'm more open to shields - even more so if stacking could be prevented.
  16. huangth

huangth Active Member

I think we just need an advanced umbrella with area of effects like the T2 flak cannon.
  17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

stronger orbital defenses yes ... shields, no
  18. temeter

Yep, might be a good idea. Something expensive just to fortify the most important places.
    igncom1 likes this.
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

No. NO! God no!
    xanoxis, stuart98, tunsel11 and 4 others like this.
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I would personally be more keen on a 'directional' shield- like an anti orbital only type thing, as otherwise bases will become almost inpeterable.

That way, it means you *have* to get a foothold away from a base on a planet, and send in land

Well the word 'shield' is perhaps the wrong term for what I'm trying to confer... I would like something that prevents a helios being able to spawn above my base and open it's gate- it's high health mean it can withstand masses of anti orbital fire-power, and I don't think that should change. Maybe a 'teleport inhibitor' would do the trick? Something so that my opponent has to sortie his forces from somewhere *slightly* further out to give me time to respond (even if I have no hope of defeating the incoming invasion, it's nice to get the opportunity to try and have a great battle in the process, the helios over com scenario prevents that imo).