Beta Build: 55430 / 55493

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, October 16, 2013.

1. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I have to ask, when you say FSAA do you mean FSAA or FXAA due to some people misinterpreting the meaning

From http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Anti-aliasing_(AA)

In other words:

FXAA: What I force through my nVidia control panel with little to no performance hit.

FSAA
    : Original Anti-Aliasing technique with a fairly big performance hit
    Last edited: October 17, 2013
  2. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Not for me. They are on a fresh install of 13.11 and the only thing I changed was setting overscan to 0%. No other graphical settings global or otherwise.
  3. camycamera

camycamera Member

can't wait to try out dat HDR :D
  4. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

video card is not forcing FSAA, etc.
  5. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

AI is a beast with those nukes. It did not try too hard to hit important spots, but still was nuking my outskirts endlessly, and at an ever increasing frequency as it got more to send.
    HDR looks fantastic but is a bit blown out at the moment, so it gets a bit exhausting on the eyes after awhile, especially the beaches which are plateauing on max white in big patches with bands around them. I expect that to change though, so really I cant say much about an awesome feature in its first pass. Dark sides of planets look good and shadows getting contrast to a gritty cool level. Could probably use some colour in the shadows though. Like a touch of the atmoshpere colour slipped in there, I am sure that is a low priority though.
    Great patch.

ps. Raptor new favorite commander.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I had back when I started alpha and it caused ugly lines all over the planet. So since than it's all set to "do whatever the application wants"
  7. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I have only played one game with the new patch and had this problem. I'm pretty sure it happened because the unit that had the build queue died or got stuck when I needed to restart the game. Did you look at settings / chromocam/ or restart the game before this happened?

It was quite hard to notice in a big game but after a while i realized we couldn't cap about 20 mass points because of this.
  8. cola_colin

I dont think he means that some commands were stuck and the engineer could not be found anymore. His problem was that he pressed caps lock which results in all buildings ghosts and stuff to be display at all times.
  9. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Aye, it is FXAA, as it is labelled in the UI, though technically FXAA is a form of FSAA. FXAA forced on in your NVidia drivers differs from the in game implementation as it will apply FXAA to the entire view including the UI which often leads to blurred read text. The in game option applies it only to the game view prior to overlaying UI.

The resolution scaling allows for both increased resolution and decreased resolution over the current window resolution. The simple explanation of what it does is sets the resolution of the render targets to something other than the window resolution, the final image is put on a polygon that gets rendered at the full window resolution. If the rendered scene is a lower resolution it gets upsampled with bilinear filtering just like a texture on the wall of any other game. If the scene is rendered at a higher resolution you get the original form of FSAA, OGSSAA (Ordered Grid Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing).

The interaction between FXAA and resolution scaling is an interesting one as FXAA was originally written to handle the specific task of taking a lower resolution image and making it look better at full screen resolution, so if FXAA is turned on it helps smooth out the lower resolution.

I wrote a post a while back about the differences between SSAA, MSAA, and FXAA for those interested (or perhaps masochistic), though it simplifies some of the details of what MSAA and CSAA actually do.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/fxaa-ssaa-instead-of-aa.34382/#post-510290

edit: One follow up to anyone who reads that link; since writing that post we dove head long in to a deferred shading renderer, which doesn't allow for techniques like MSAA to work properly, nor likely SGSSAA mentioned by others there. OGSSAA, FXAA are possible, hence them being implemented. Basic SMAA 1x, which is Crytek's optimization of MLAA, and SMAA T2x, which is a temporal AA method (aka uses data from the previously rendered frame) should both be implementable if I can convince Steve to work on it again. :)
    Gorbles likes this.
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Just for information, the long duration black screen exists also witn Nvidia graphic cards. At some point the planets will be displayed but it can take a very long time and you get misleaded since you have the message stating you have to pick a position for you commander, while actually the screen is black.

More over, when HDR is active, displaying the world is really slower and textures will randomly take a long time to be displayed. Basically HDR increased the allready known issue about pieces of textures first appearing as black and then being rendered.
  11. Telvi

Telvi Member

I have a gigabyte 7970 no fxaa on everything on low detail.

The version before worked good but the fps was also down on low detail.

One time it worked. I've loaded a finsished system not my own. With 2 lvl 2 planets.

Later i will upload 2 parts of data packages. One with the system now and one with new drivers.

Maybe i find out whats the problem
  12. piquedram

piquedram New Member

that's not a bug, it's one of my favorite features! :p
    mabono5 likes this.
  13. cola_colin

I never said it is a bug. But it can be weird if you dont know about it.
    mabono5 likes this.
  14. halosas

halosas Member

I also have AMD 2 x HD5850 running XFIRE black screen with FSAA on evern running with XFIRE disabled still Black screen Win 7 64Bit
  15. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Can someone sum up everything that's being said about FXAA in stupid-mans terms? Do us AMD poor folks have to disable it indefinitely or is there a workaround?
  16. lokiCML

There's a workaround until it's fixed in a update. You have to disable FXAA for now.
  17. core1989

core1989 New Member

Great work guys the game looks beautiful now that I have been able to get it going without crashing.

If I load a game before it finishes loading and I then go to the solar system view then it can crash.

Also had a game just before against the AI and the AI was trying to build a metal extractor on a metal spot that was on the side of a cliff and therefore he got stuck looking up the cliff for the entire game and the only way to kill him was to nuke him I even tried to be friendly and help lift him out with a lander but he would just shoot at it.

I have also had the problem with my own commander once when the game started and my own commander was stuck in a small crater and therefore couldn't do anything apart from click him and press delete.

I would of taken screenshots if I knew how.
  18. Nasher

Nasher New Member

My graphics are screwed up as well (using a 670gtx). It looks like all the terrain is split up into small squares, with gaps in between them, I don't have FXAA on.

Edit: nevermind, there was a setting in the nvidia control panel that seems to cause it :eek:
  19. lokiCML

ctrl + n best thing since coffee machine.:)
  20. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Gotta say, i realy like how a annihilated enemys stuff dosent instantly gets destroyed like before, instead it destructs in what i can only descripe as a fireworks show.

Was watching a Zaphod video () and was like "Ohh, fireworks" when a commander died and the whole based got lit up in what looks kinda like a chain reaction or something.

Looks nice, keep it ingame.

P.s look at 36:00 for a nice fireworks show.