Balance (really I don't know how else to title it)

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by tatsujb, January 5, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

So i just had a *fun* game (read the irony in fun here) the only kind I ever have anymore where i was tring to use a metal planet annihilazor.

fun little introduction that unit cannon is /s

oh and I always loved the popcornyness of units and structures, dear me. /s

oh and such great pathfinding on metal planets /s

they really thought out those horizontal bars right next to the catalyst construction site /s

SO TELL ME......

Given that it takes a few t2 bots, not even a full UC salvae to down the catalyst HP in under 1 second regardless of the presence of countless t2 bots of my own and a healthy dose of Anchors....

...and that it takes around 5 minutes with a healthy dose of engies to build one

....and that you need 5

....to start firering not to finish

HOW IN GOD'S NAME AM I SUPPOSED TO GET TO FIRE THAT THING?

Seriously balance on PA is exactly like balance on a pay to win game but with the currency flux taken right out.

Which boggles my mind, I mean take ALL the disadvantages of pay to win and take out ALL of the advantages : C.F. the company actually getting money to make stuff better with, and you're left with ...PA

it's the same thing:

>introduce new unit
    >it comes out OP so that everyone buys it this is the part where something crucial was forgotten

>wait till the cow is milked
    >nerf patch this part needs some studying up on as well

>start handing it out for free
    >start from top

I'm not going to say "tatsu knows best"; but seriously if it had been left up to me I would have gone with one of two things :

either the exact opposite charge money on hats and cosmetics all the while balancing PA with stats that use very slight alterations to one another.

or keep the crap balance but at least charge users for the damn crap balance.
    Last edited: January 5, 2015
  2. tatsujb

11527659027759716721 to see what I mean
  3. Deletive

Deletive Member

I like the idea of hats and cosmetics that can slightly alter stats by very small margins. Would add some playability. Everything I have to say I sorta of disagree mainly because a giant death later isn't something that shouldn't be easy to get anyways.
  4. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

A. You're doing it wrong. (More eco! More build power! More eco!)

B. Flak cannons counter the unit cannon.
    Correction: Umbrellas counter the unit cannon.
    Pendaelose, cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  5. klavohunter

klavohunter Member

Tatsu, once you have obtained control of the Metal Planet and have a solid economy, you have essentially won unless an enemy smashes a moon into your laser.

Take a deep breath and then pretend you're a mother bird making a nest for your eggs. Before you start building Catalysts, build a solid network of defenses - Umbrellas, 3-barreled Turrets, and Antinukes.

Your Umbrellas and turrets will mow down Slammers as fast as they can land, because the poor bastards come down in a single-file line at the exact same point.

Really, if you want to invade someone's planet with Unit Cannons, you need to drop a crapload of Spinners and Slammers and Adv Fabbers somewhere the enemy has NOT heavily fortified. Then you set up a teleporter and firebase and get to smashing those Catalysts.
  6. tatsujb

had tons of them too,
    honestly I was doing as best as I could.

when you're trying to guard five strategic points like your freakin virginity it's pretty hard.

watch the replay.

and no they don't "counter" UC rate of fire is higher than umbrella fire rate.

try it, or give me a replay whith decent or rather pro players (players who will know to shoot the UC at the build points) where the Annihilazor is fired.
  7. tatsujb

I agree though the current state is the getting an Annihilazor up and running is super easy and fast

and at the same time .... unfeasable ;
    when taking into account UC drops.

so It's the stupidest mechanic ever, I can't even call it a mechanic.

If you let someone else annihilazor you it's "DUUURR, why didn't you unit cannon his cataclysts, you DURR DURR??"

and if you DO unit cannon his cataclysts it's "DUUUUR no Annihilazor for you DUUR DUUUURR!!"

it's only ever a case of being dumb, no strategy involved.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's a king of the hill mode.

It's always going to be at least a little derr herr.
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Catalysts are by far the best distraction tool ever :) use them as such and win by invasion or nukes. Works every time haha.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  10. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

maybe
    it's because you're dumb and didn't counter his unit cannons with your own unit cannons
  11. sigmud2

sigmud2 Member

you have a very offensive tone to you at all times. this is directed at the seekers.
  12. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

idk, countering unit cannons with more unit cannons seems pretty common sense to me - but I am an openly hostile person
  13. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

So glad I could help.

On-Topic

I feel like the Unit Cannon is perfect the way it is.

Its a solar system asset.

If you put it in a map, It may not be used, but it becomes an important object that is played on.

Just like igncom1 said, Its a game of King of the Hill.

But when you do fire it.

OH THE GLORY.
  14. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

First off, I'll say this.

As soon as anything, whatever it may be, alters the stat of an item, it instantly ceases to be cosmetic. Even if it has little to no effect on the field. Cosmetic is a binary word that, in PA, means visual only. I don't mind things that change stats, but it doesn't fit in this type of game where there aren't supposed to be any hidden values that make something NOT do what it looks like it should, or vice versa.

That said, I think the idea of Unit Cannon vs LightBlueLaserOfDeath isn't fleshed out whatsoever. The Laser seems very slapped together in terms of thoughts on mechanics vs the rest of the game and the unit cannon doesn't play well with it at all, nevermind it's interactions with the rest of the game. I feel they were added as individual mechanics of a game that work well by themselves but remain without too much thought put into how they interact with everything else in a real game. To be fair, they're two very different potentially game-changing ideas, so it'd be kind of hard to do that in a closed environment anyway.

One could easily just play the game as-is, but do you really want a sub-par experience? I don't. I mean, you don't know what's possible until you explore mechanics beyond simple numbers. It could be better, almost always better. I see a lot of posts saying X is fine, or Y is broken, but I think it's different experiences and 100% based on personal standards, or sometimes the lack thereof. Oh look, I'm rambling again. Whoops.
    tatsujb likes this.