Anything like Command and Conquer?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by adamjohnson, June 18, 2017.

1. adamjohnson

adamjohnson New Member

I grew up with C&C: Red Alert 1, and I own practically all the game (missing the first and the last...assuming you count C&C 4). Love 'em, but, while I can get them to play on GNU/Linux, I can't get them to work with the Steam Overlay (so no Steam Controller for ring menu for numbers...BIG problem). I'm looking for an RTS to replace it, but I don't know of any RTS like C&C. They mostly are clones of Warcraft, or some RPG Hybrid like Spellforce.

If not, what RTS is this like? I've also played the Dawn of War series, Spellforce series, Warcraft 2 & 3, Universe at War, AI Wars Empire Earth 2160, Age of Empires, Empire Earth series, Homeworld 2, and Ground Control 2. Technically, Stellaris, which I've been playing the♥♥♥♥♥♥out of, is an RTS. Technically.

Dawn of War 2 is a bit too fast paced chaotic for my old brain, and GC2...something about it wasn't to my liking, though it's been years since I last played it. Favorites are the "traditional" ore/tiberium harveting C&C, Homeworld 2, Empire Earth 2, and Warcraft 3.

edit: I also played a bit of Supreme Commander but the 1.5 second command delay drove me insane. Also Metal Fatigue. LOVED Metal Fatigue.
    read more: tai nhac chuong mp3, tai nhac chuong em chua 18
    Last edited: June 26, 2017
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hi, So PA is closest in style of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander- just a side note though... 1.5s command delay????????! What? I think there was something very wrong with your copy of the game (or your hardware was well below minimum spec) as SupCom issues commands instantly- as did TA (if working as intended).

The thing with Planetary Annihilation is if you are looking to play online vs other players, it is *very* fast paced. That said if you are happy playing against AI (or co-op) there is opportunity to take your time more.

This game is nothing like the 'craft games (which is about micro managing loads of abilities and a handful of units)- it's all about scale. To play it well, you set all your factories on 'repeat' and *never* stop making units all game. You can easily have a few thousand tanks / robots / ships / aircraft at the end of a PA match. You don't need to do much in terms of controlling the individual units- this title is all about 'macro' game play. That is you have a planet (or several) and it's about the larger view- controlling territory and moving groups of units around between different fronts on different planets. It's awesome if you can get your head around working in full 3D (if you are a home-world fan like me then I don't think that'll phase you once you get used to the camera).

The only thing I would warn you about- this game requires serious PC hardware to play well, it's not especially gpu intensive (if you don't mind lower settings a bit) but it needs a fast cpu (ideally with at least 4 cores, preferably 4 c / 8 thread e.g. an i7 or Ryzen 5) and *lots* of ram. The amount of ram you need depends on the type of map you want to play on, a small map with say 2 planets and 2 moons will work fine on 8gb of ram. If you want to play bigger you really need 16gb to play comfortably. The other thing is the linux version of the game is.... a special snowflake :p It works- just depending on your hardware config, which driver stack you use and a few other things there are various work around you'll need to get everything working correctly (and even then I think some of the fixes have annoying side effects like leaving you with a black screen after a match which is fixable by flicking back out to desktop and back into the game again).

@DeathByDenim is more familiar with the linux version than I am (I tried it quite a while ago, however more recently I've been playing the Windows version as needed Windows for some other things anyway).
    remy561 and lulamae like this.
  3. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

This might give you an indication (Note this was before the Titans Expansion)
    remy561, lulamae and cdrkf like this.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

For me the Linux version works fine. I can play it quite comfortable on my laptop. The black screen after a match has something to do with a special parameter called --software-ui which was needed in the past to get PA to run. However, that parameter should no longer be required. I don't have serious issues anyway, so there is your anecdotal data point. :)
    I think it just works for most people though; there have been numerous fixes.

Also, the game uses a client-server model, which means that the client does the graphics and the server does the simulation. The game allows you to choose between off-line play and on-line play for single player, so if your computer struggles while running PA, you can use on-line play to lighten the load on your computer.
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

SupCom1 has an order queue rather than all units being given an order at once; on weaker systems this would result in massive delays before some units received your commands.
  6. grandhomie

grandhomie Member

PA can be fast paced for sure but you don't need a crazy APM to do well and enjoy the game. Also it depends on who you're playing against.. if you're in a game with top ranked players it'll be super fast but there are players of every skill level in the community.
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

True, I was thinking of when I used to play heavily in the 1 v 1 scene... the top guys in this as so fast :p I was fun though- a 1 v 1 on a single large moon vs someone like @clopse was just such an intense fight...
    Clopse likes this.
  8. n00n

n00n Active Member

Last edited: June 25, 2017
    mwreynolds, Clopse and wpmarshall like this.