Anyone else playing PA with a steam controller?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by trashmanf, January 16, 2016.

1. trashmanf

trashmanf New Member

After learning PA with traditional KBAM I've been playing with a steam controller the last 40 hours or so of gameplay.

It was difficult at first but there was a published binding that was pretty close to good... I made some tweaks and was curious if anyone else is doing the same.

Pros: camera movement on thumbstick means I can mouse around independently at the same time as panning around planet. Also rotate is mapped with zoom to left trackpad which is great, I rarely rotated with KBAM because of all the modifiers. (Usually just locked north pole)

Other pro, playing on my living room 50" TV means I can turn icons to way zoomed out. Hate when the strategic zoom turns all those awesome models into little icons :-!

Cons: I can't think of a good way to map/visit more than a few camera points and frequently accidentally map a view to a new point rather than visiting my old point. Also can't capture/recall groups currently, just not sure what to bind it to.

Worst feature is losing the keyboard for chat - I find myself leaving a keyboard on the footstool and leaning forward to furiously type "ping commander ive got a nuke!". Etc. There is an OSK but its hunt and peck, obv can't pause online games to type haha

Is anyone else doing this, can you share tips? Or better yet publish your bindings?

Thanks!!!
    johndewy and Remy561 like this.
  2. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Been trying it out with the steam controller but I'm finding it difficult to adjust since I can't have hotbuild within it (at least not in an intuitive way). Overall it's pretty neat. Especially playing RTS's that have most of the ui components laid out on the screen by default like in Age of Mythology. Very Nice.
    johndewy likes this.
  3. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

bu....we have to keep the PC master race pure and non filthy console clean....why would you do that....

(No I haven't thought to use a controller for an RTS, it could work but halo wars taught me early that they sometimes just dont blend well)
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

This isn't any console controller though, it has a lot more exact movements. Not as well as a mouse, sure.. But certainly more accurate than an Xbone or PS4's :p
    g0hstreaper likes this.
  5. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

THE PC MASTER RACE IS PURE AND CONTROLLER FREE! ;)
    stylisticsagittarius likes this.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Apart from the various hotas systems, track ir, hand position trackers for vr and so on...
    So yeah definitely no controllers on pc /s
    g0hstreaper likes this.
  7. n00n

n00n Active Member

I've considered making a mod for efficiently using the steam controller with PA. But I don't think I'd ever really use it myself so haven't put too much thought into it. If there's interest/demand I may reconsider making it.

I'd be interested in how you guys are currently setting it up? Using dual pads for mouse, mouse regions, gyro? And how you think the perfect interface would look/act?
    Furballman and andreasgg like this.