Any chance on a commander storage increase?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by gunshin, December 20, 2013.

1. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

So, i decided that PA needs to be improved at the start of the game, and probably the best move we can do, which is also incredibly easy for uber to do, is to just add say 1000 metal storage and 10000 energy storage to the commander. The actual values could be debated, but it seems pretty clear that this would allow us to go factory first.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Factory first sounds like a cool idea.
  3. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

That's a neat idea. It does make sense in a strategic way and it would be quite useful.
  4. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

I would definitely be for a factory first build. Though I think the Egg was aimed at something like this. Any news on that?
  5. TerrorScout

TerrorScout Member

I thought the plan was to have the lander that drops your commander carry a factory with it?
    But until that is setup adding extra storage to the commander would work.
    I think it would be better to add the metal storage and instead of energy storage add commander power generation.
  6. gunshin

No news on that, but i really hate the concept of the egg as an initial game opener. Build orders bring variety to the game, and the egg would remove build orders.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Why would it remove build orders? That heavily depends on how the egg is supposed to work.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  8. gunshin

I was under the assumption it gave starting buildings? Anyways, the way the egg works is another topic for discussion.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Nothing has been confirmed, but his is along the lines of what I'm hoping for, start the game, select the egg and place it and it builds itself into a factory(not instantly, but possibly quicker than would be possible otherwise) while your commander can start working on the usual Extractor/Generator Stuffs.

Mike
    bradaz85 likes this.
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/the-early-game-is-too-slow.53839/
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I am hoping for a couple different eggs to choose from once you get into the game and have a chance to see the planets. Lets you customize your start without crippling players for not knowing how to do a starting build.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  12. LavaSnake

I was under the impression that the egg would be like a battery to boost your eco at the beginning. But transforming into a factory would be cool too.
    bradaz85 and siefer101 like this.
  13. gunshin

This is not a discussion about the egg, go make your own thread for that matter. This is merely about increasing commander storage, even if only temporary, so that we are able to go factory first.
  14. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Deciding whether to increase commander storage as a balance change really depends on having the full unit set. We definitely do need a way to go factory first though, and I would expect to need at least some amount of storage increase to make that work.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  15. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Since this discussion is about starting conditions, talking about the egg is completely appropriate.

A small pile of starting wreckage can get any game off the ground.
    carn1x likes this.
  16. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

in my opinion it should be reduced

its way better to have a realy slow relaxing game in the beginning and not start spamming everything.
    gives players time to think strategies around the planet where to what build etcetc. it does not take long to start building factories anyway.
    rippsblack likes this.
  17. LavaSnake

That's an interesting perspective. I see how it could be helpful too.
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Then let's go factory first and introduce a mandatory 1 minute 30 second wait after everyone clicked ready. Same thing and equally stupid.

There's nothing relaxed about any beginning. From the second your commander appears you need to be clicking, if you're relaxed you click slower and your economy is behind mine and I have an immediate advantage. So really there's just the tedium of hundreds of games where you play the opening 1:30 exactly the same.
    LavaSnake, igncom1 and cola_colin like this.
  19. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Sounds like an easy immediate fix with big benefits. I can't see any downsides.
    +1
    igncom1 likes this.
  20. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

pffffff

yeaaaaaah right doesent matter how slow and relaxed at the beginning you are realy

if you click faster and set up a billion of Building qoue on the planet with that 1 commander it wont Go and build faster......

im against this whole factory 1st thing it just promotes rushing the enemy in early game even more. if we are at it why not just remove all these energy and mass from the game if you just want to mindlessly build and spam from the beginning lol