Anti nuke problems

Discussion in 'Support!' started by BallsonFire, October 17, 2014.

1. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

I had a couple of games where I was hit by nukes while I had enough anti nukes to counter the nukes. This happens specially when all the nukes are targeted on one spot but it also happens some times with an area nuke attack. I think this bug is quite old btw. I think more AN should always counter less nukes. Maybe some people can reproduce this to back this up. This AN bug happens more often than you would think and can also be exploited. I did not reported it sooner because I would expected this nuke problem to be solved soon but this is sadly not the case.

The attack was with 4 nukes and I had 6 anti nukes

Edit: I looked up replay (ballsonfire LmalukoBR Posidian sootn Mikro) to prove it:

Here you see 4 nukes coming in. There are 6 AN to shoot them down and one is already fired.
    antinukebug1.png

Here you see one nuke survived it this far and is inches away from the ground one anti nuke is launched but is way to late to counter the nuke. I still have 2 AN left.
    antinukebug2.png

The end result. one anti nuke is swirling around cause it missed.
    antinukebug3.png
    Last edited: October 18, 2014
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Is it a bug or a feature?

A large number of nukes should be able to overwhelm an anti-nuke.
    fredegar1 likes this.
  3. fredegar1

fredegar1 Member

4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

If you have 20 anti-nukes in an area and they can't shoot down 20 nukes, then that's a problem.
    Remy561 and Zainny like this.
  5. BallsonFire

Than why build anti nuke at all if lots of nukes can't be countered by lots of AN? This surely not is a feature but a flaw.
  6. BallsonFire

There where multiple AN stations equipped with anti nukes in the replay you can see there are still anti nukes left after the impact.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

We kinda need to know more about your situation. If you have one anti-nuke launcher and 3 nukes land right on top of it, the anti-nuke doesn't have a high enough rate of fire to counter those three.

But if you have 3 different anti-nuke launchers and 3 anti-nukes land on top of them and they don't counter, then yes, that's a problem.

Also, are you sure you had loaded anti-nuke missiles?

Simply need more information than what you have provided.

Nukes should be able to overwhelm anti-nukes, but anti-nukes should still work.
  8. BallsonFire

I added screen shots from a replay so you can see it for your self. You can also lookup replay: (ballsonfire LmalukoBR Posidian sootn Mikro) to see it in action.
  9. BallsonFire

That is the case in many games I played some times I even won because I knew this bug exists :p The anti nukes response time is to slow to handle lots of nukes targeted at one spot.
  10. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

If you want people to look at your replay, provide the goddamn ID :mad:
    The replay search doesn't work correctly. It's not normal people have to look at PA Stats, search OTHER players in your game, to find that ID (2159772251487126865)

That being said, you have to keep in mind that AN fires at a rate of 0.25 (as per "anti_nuke_launcher_tool_weapon.json"). That means a reload time / shot every 4 seconds.

Your AN#1 fires at 46'28'', and AN#2 at 46'31''
    AN#1 makes a second shot at proper time 46'32'' (+4")
    AN#2 makes it second shot at proper time 46'35'' (+4")

The bad luck is that :
    • AN#1 second target was N#3 instead of N#4 which was slightly more in deep your base at that point
    • N#4 touched the ground at the exact same time AN#2 fired the second time
    [​IMG]

tldr; bad luck, not a bug, everything working as designed.

@brianpurkiss : Just FYI, rate of fire is misinterpreted on pamatches wiki page.
    It's not "4 shots per second" but rather "1 shot every 4 seconds"
    whisperr and stuart98 like this.
  11. BallsonFire

To me this is a bug in your opinion it is bad luck. How to counter all the nukes? so let say to counter 5 nukes i have to build 15 anti nukes and hope I don't have bad luck :p?
  12. Fr33Lancer

You being pissed off that happened to you, and failing to understand the game mechanic behind Anti Nuke, doesn't make it a bug, no matter how loud you claim it ...

If you want 100% probability to counter a synchronized (arriving at the same time) intra-planetary (harder to counter than inter-planetary) attack of 5 incoming nukes, you need the same amount of AN launchers with a missile ready to intercept, in the defined area (the one attacked).
    That's basic mathematics.
  13. BallsonFire

I'm not being pissed I just had a lot of the same bad luck as you call it with many games. It did not happen one time it happened many times before. so I thought I should report this. But you claim basically you have to build one anti nuke launcher per nuke to be sure to counter every nuke. that does not seem logic to me if a nuke launcher can contain 3 anti nukes.

Also in pic 3 an anti nuke (that was suppose to counter the last nuke) is twirling endless after the nuke explosion. You don't call that a bug? it does not seem normal to me, maybe it is a design flaw.
  14. Fr33Lancer

There are several key factors that even make the rule "1 AntiNuke for 1 nuke" not safe:
    1. Target of the nuke. The longer the nuke fly over the area controlled by an AntiNuke, the more reloads it allows (take advantage of the 3 silos). The contrary is also true.
    2. If a single nuke enters the area controlled in common by 2 AntiNuke, they will both fire a missile to intercept (waste of metal, missile capacity, and reload time). In short, AntiNuke works independently, they are not centralized.

This is definitely a bug, but that wouldn't have helped you in your game ;)
    Interceptor missiles should vanished / implode when triggered and their target doesn't exist anymore (I do believe it works in some cases, i.e nuke already intercepted by another missile)
  15. BallsonFire

Do you have any reference of the devs state that the anti nuke is implemented this way on purpose?
  16. Fr33Lancer

Apart from looking at the files directly (json), not much from the search I did on some uber dev about nuke.

My 2 cents :
    • Balance.
      1 AN (12000 metal) + 3 missiles (3*6750) = 32250
      3 Nuke Launcher (3*14400)+ 3 Nukes (3*50000) = 193200
      There's a huge gap here.
      If the AN was firing all missiles at once (rate of fire >3) and managed to counter the 3 incoming nukes, that's a 161K metal net loss for the attacker.
    • Technical.
      The AN reload may also be implemented to be sure first interceptor missiles got his target before firing another one.
      In above example with one AN fully loaded and 3 coming nukes, if all interceptor missiles were to be fired at once, I'm not sure the engine is able to know which nukes are being intercepted and which ones are not. At least with several ANs it doesn't.
  17. BallsonFire

Today I had a game where the slow anti nuke played up again. Now it was just one nuke :p. Why does the anti nuke even fire if it can intercept the nuke on time?
  18. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

There is only one way to figure out if it can intercept the missile in time: Trying it!

Regarding teh OP:
    In order to even fire 4 nukes at once the enemy had to invest into 4 Silo's (4x14.4k) + 4 missiles (4x 50k). [Total Metal: 257.6 k]
    With only 2 A-nukes and 2 Anti-missiles you had much less metal in defense there (2x12k for Launcher; 4x6750 in missiles) [Total Metal: 39 k]

260k Metal vs 40 k metal in defenses
    I say it is plenty effective (6.5 to 1), but being able to stop SIX TIMES the eco in an attack is way beyond what a "hard counter" should be able to do. If the enemy had that much more eco to spare, he should even be able to kill you with a terible 6:1 efficiency.
  19. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Balanced or not, i'd say it's an issue if using powerful weapons like nukes can become a game of russish roulette.
  20. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I had nukewars with the AI a moment ago an none of the AI's nukes hit. All got intercepted because I had 3 antinuke launchers all with 2 avd fabricators supporting. So I made waaay more antinukes than they could build nukes ;)
    When your economy is fine, nukes really shouldn't be a problem.