Announcing Battle of the Beasts, The First Official Planetary Annihilation Tournament

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, March 20, 2014.

1. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I dunno, I've watched some of masterofroflness' videos and DRUNK SQUAD sounds fairly accurate ;)
    stonewood1612 likes this.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Duhreaper overrated. Just beat him in a psuedo 1v1 (Four planet system, 4v4 on alliances with one person per planet). Was actually pretty easy. Vanguard drop OP.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

ok i think it is fair to say that this video alone just put every trashmovie including danny trejo to shame lol :D ..
  4. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

It's a shame this is an exclusive event, wish more of the comunity could actually participate... Ill watch but again, i hope more official tourneys will be like the PACE ones and less exclusive.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

This is LITERALLY the first tournament they have hosted in Gamma - and according to Brad, the first one ever.

Chill out man. The reason the folks were picked was because they are all of an equalish skill level. Almost any team could beat any of the other teams. There are favorites, ofc, but upsets are quite likely.
    brianpurkiss and drz1 like this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Is this from the invitationals from the last few tournaments?
  7. mered4

Though it's possible, I do not think so.
  8. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

I am calm.
    Im just stating my opinion that the FIRST PA tourney would be more of a community experience if the community would be allowed to participate in a capacity that exceeds Audience.

Do you disagree with that?

Im not disputing the people who are playing.. hell i am looking forward to the matches.. but watching PA is not the same as playing. And the first official pa tournament is exclusive event not a public one.

My feelings are akin to sadness not anger. I also acknowlege i had no chance of winning the custom comm, but saying I got to play in the first PA tourny would be compensation enough.

My point of view is that these tournaments should bring the comunity of players together in one large competition, or my case slaughter, and let them have the chance to play and compete with eachother for the prize.

For me, the experience and getting to play in the first ever tournament of what is a revolutionary RTS game would be a prize enough.
    Last edited: March 21, 2014
    elwyn and drz1 like this.
  9. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Hey man, yeah I understand your disappointment for sure. This if I'm allowed quote garat is "Brads baby", and so brad picked the players he thinks will show case this game the best.

I have seen many of the players, myself included play with brad on numerous occasions in the open games he tends to have. That along side previous winners, ladder standings and activity seem to be how he made his decision.

As has been said this is the first tournament and most likely invitational from uber, however if you want to be considered for future invitationals from uber or whatnot i would recommend to try make a name for yourself.

Edit: uber only picked the 8 captains. They got to decide who they think/know would help them the best. So if you were overlooked by uber you ultimately had a chance.
    drz1 and Quitch like this.
  10. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

If It was I'd be in it xD (and gunshin wouldn't)

but no this will be a great event to watch and a great way to kick off the Uber Tournaments :) with the best of the best or should I say the Beasts of the Beasts... I look forward to see how it all plays out :)
  11. twigifire

twigifire New Member

I'm looking forward to this tourney. Should be good.

I'm more looking forward to when we can apply for open tournaments though :D
    Quite keen to see who the best doubles team is though!
  12. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

That's, not the point I'm concerned with. Could the tournament not be made public to all, and the developers and Zaphodx cast the individuals that they believe could best showcase the game? the individuals chosen? I don't have the time to make a name for my self in the pa community as a "top player" as i am busy with school and work. I am sure this is true for the majority of people who play videos games in general.

My point is by allowing the entire community to actively participate in a tournament (compete) 3 things happen:

1). The tournament lasts longer because more people actively participate (compete) which will spread the word of this tournament and increase publicity by increasing audience and player pool.

2). The community has the chance to throw some choice players in to the bid for the final prize, Upsets happen. Thus injecting a larger competitive pool and allowing "good" players who have yet to be identified to become identified.

3). Fosters a sense of community between all players, casual such as myself and better players, such as those selected. This will re-iterate the idea that Planetary Annihilation is a game that casual players can get in to and enjoy with a community of all types of players and not be left out.

We don't want people to think that you have to put large quantities time in to this game to be a part of the community and enjoy the game on most levels, you may not win competitively, but you can compete none-the -less.

Benefit: The primary matches from Brad's selection can still be emphasized as they will be casted by Zaphodx and Metabolical. I will be watching those. Not to mention, since the players chosen by Brad are some of the best, the tournament list should boil back down to that list along with some others from upsets and in the process, casual players such as myself can play with better players and get a chance see some more advanced strategies.

Again, my point is that, from a PR perspective, there is more to gain from allowing active community participation in this tournament then there is to lose.

Those are my opinions, if they get addressed that would be great, if not well... yeah....
    None-the-less I look forward to seeing this tournament play out but i will eagerly await the first non-invitational public tournament
    luntbox likes this.
  13. Clopse

Well more players with longer tournaments isn't necessary a good thing. I wouldn't like to see one team so much better that the other that the game is boring. Or 4 newer players face each other for a turtle nuke fest. The idea of this tournament is to showcase the game. Higher skill games are faster and better to watch imo.

Come to the planetary annihilation irc. I will happily play with you if I'm around. There is also a 2v2 tournament tomorrow, I posted last week in that thread that I was looking for an average gamer that wants to get better to team up with me for that.
    Murcanic, cptconundrum and drz1 like this.
  14. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

I signed up for that tourny but could never get a second player for a team :/
  15. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Join me in hating on clopse when he streams. I mean instead of picking me he picked, what, matizpl? I mean, why? What's that guy ranked? Number 1 on both ladders? What the hell kind of crappy ranking is that?
  16. Quitch

Also Brad needs to change his hair back. This flat top look is just freaking me out.
  17. WataCoso

WataCoso Member

That's good. Brad is the incarnation of evil. Worship him or fall into the abyss of despair.

I can't wait for this to start.

Regarding the seeds , let's not forget that a setup like this (handpicked players) is the easiest to organize while maximizing the entertainment level. Of course they'd choose this method for the first events. The next ones will be strong of a better workflow, plus the organizational feedback of the previous tournaments. At that point, the seeding will have the means of becoming public :)
    cptconundrum and zaphodx like this.
  18. mered4

I just want to point out that I'll be shirtless during the tournament.

Not that anyone will get to see my version of the cross between a nerd and a stud, since my webcam is busted.

It's full on beast mode. Heck, all 16 of us should go shirtless for this.

I mean, it is Brad's toournament
    godde, ORFJackal and cptconundrum like this.
  19. Quitch

Clopse... shirtless... not sure my desk fan is ready to handle that.
    cptconundrum and Clopse like this.
  20. Clopse

"Does he play games too? Why don't you look like that?" My girlfriend last night after watching the video.
    She's a keeper.
    shojobo, Raevn, godde and 6 others like this.