An Update: Beta, October 29th, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, October 29, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Improving interplanetary interaction and the ability to wage war between planets is very high on our list of priorities.
    LavaSnake, corteks, shootall and 6 others like this.
  2. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

\o/
    archcommander likes this.
  3. heyiisrandom

heyiisrandom New Member

:eek: ...... awesome!!!!!!!!!
  4. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Can't wait!
  5. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

So my question is, is this still in plan?
  6. kalser

kalser New Member

Hi guys thanks for all you've done so far but after this update I haven't been able to put my units in patrol mode is this going to be fixed soon?
  7. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

No new units :(

It's a great patch anyway. Game seems to be (to me at least) a lot more stable than before. And it looks better, too.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Actually the single laser turret only now is potentially usable so we do have a new t1 turret now.
  9. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

True.

I also just played a game with 8 planets. And I must say:

Good job guys

Man, this is running way more smoothly than before. The bare thought of having 8 planets in a system nearly made my computer collapse until now. But this time it wasn't even an issue. I had less than 0.3 seconds delay when commanding troops. That's really great for a RTS-Game though, considering that I played on the US Servers while living in Europe.

So many little fixes here and there. Also I still don't know why, but it appears that the game is looking quite a bit better now.

Btw: Did you change the size of some units/buildings?

Also we still really need an option to kick players out of the game lobby. So many times you have some afk lurking around in your game.
    Last edited: November 2, 2013
  10. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

is there any ETA on sli/crossfire support? or if its even coming? just a lil frustrating having to disable sli every time i play PA is all... Looking forward to more optimizations each build is getting better and better. Any ETA on customizable AI behavior?
  11. heyiisrandom

heyiisrandom New Member

Hi guys, Love the new up date looks great I can finally run on full graphics :D, really does make a huge difference (although i suppose that could be the update)

One problem though .. I can no longer load my own custom systems when setting up a game. Has this process been changed, do I have to do it somewhere else or is this an unfortunate bug
  12. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

You might have a lava planet in them. They've been disabled.
  13. heyiisrandom

heyiisrandom New Member

Indeed I do... didn't even think about that, yet again sly's here to save the day with a quick response

I tell you what the more I read on this forum the more I get excited about this game not only is it an awesome idea but it has a passionate involved community and a great Dev team who seems willing to interact with the community on a level i haven't seen from Dev teams before!!
    Maybe I just haven't been involved in that many alpha/beta phases... But you guys a freaking awesome!!!
    that is of course accept for the haters on https://forums.uberent.com/threads/2-months-to-release-and-the-game-feels-like-pre-alpha-and-is-a-letdown-please-delay-the-release.53290/
    shootall likes this.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

15. heyiisrandom

heyiisrandom New Member

Some of them worry (and I do agree if the game isn't ready don't release) its a valid thread... but a level of trust is required when participating in a beta game... and some of the stuff on that thread is just straight hate... like all the "they have no money they screwed it up what a fail" type of posts .... just = hate!
  16. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Just posting in this thread to offer my support for both the community in this thread, fantastic mature behaviour, and garat's amazing responses so far.

Seriously, great interaction Uber. I love these forums, even if I don't always post.

SLI/Crossfire is a tricky thing, dependent on the technology Uber are developing the overhead in accounting for SLI (or Crossfire), the performance benefit might not be worth it.

(if you believe developer responses, Relic Entertainment have some proprietary weather technology in their CoH 2 engine and they don't have SLI/Crossfire support because the ColdTech implementation would have too much overhead to make the effort worth it)

Can't you disable SLI from the nVidia Control Panel as an application-specific profile for PA?
    shootall likes this.
  17. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

yep I can and I do disable it because of the current performance hit you have to disable that, but its pretty annoying having to disable it when pretty much every other game out there supports dual cards and having to disable it for one game seems rather odd in todays tech of gaming engines to not support dual cards, you'd be hard pressed to find a game that doesn't actually support sli/crossfire that isn't a java bassed game like minecraft.
  18. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I gave an example - CoH 2 :p

Various games also have worse SLI/Crossfire compatibility than other games. Also, going on a quick Google search, not a lot of games support SLI/Crossfire well.
  19. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Can we expect the unit canon coming soon ? :p
    heyiisrandom likes this.
  20. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Some responses:

SLI/XFIRE - If it was as simple as an hour of work to turn this on, we would. As it is, it's quite a bit of effort, and honestly, very low priority. We have a lot of things that still need to be done, and the tiny (very tiny) percentage of users with SLI have a way to play the game for now. We already have messages out to Nvidia and ATI to get white listed and help to get support, but it's one of those things that will "come in when it does". Sorry I can't promise it's near the top of the list, because it just isn't.

Unit Cannon - Define soon. ;) This week? No way.