AI Commander kamikaze

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by entz, September 10, 2014.

1. entz

entz New Member

Hi everybody,

While playing on normal, hard and relentless difficulty I've mostly won when the ennemy commander wandered off its base on its own, which isn't very rewarding.
    Is it possible to make it go back to its base when it's losing a lot of health instead of staying there shooting ?
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It should do automatically, although the AI will also abandon it's base if it feels it isn't worth salvaging.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

There is no way to control an enemy commander without enabling cheats.

I've run into this a lot as well (although it isn't as common as it used to be), and I've also run into instances of the AI just walking straight into my base.

Like I said, it's not as common, but it still happens.

The AI doesn't really seem to understand the concept of protecting the Commander.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

We just need to teach it some tricks of the trade is all.

Like unit micro.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think @sorian mentioned that there isn't a dedicated neural net for commanders I don't think which is why it does strange things with it (as it views the commander as just 'another unit' rather than the 'king').... Or I could be completely wrong on that haha.
    igncom1 likes this.
  6. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

My experience is differently. Aside from the very metal rare systems (3 planets with 3-6 mex spots each) + a same planet spawn the AI has so far been able to properly protect it's commander:
    It is evactuated off-world first chance it get's (but not into hostile territory).
    It keeps the commander in his base all the time.
    It only leaves the base to abandon it because it is overrun.

Needs some better ability to detect the danger of flame tanks, but otherwise I find they do protect thier king decently.
  7. entz

entz New Member

I figured I'd bump this thread instead of creating a new one.

Since losing the commander makes you lose the game, shouldn't commander AI deserve an extra amount of work so that the AI keeps him alive ?

There are been some amazing AI improvements since the thread started, but it is still easy to win against absurd end game because the AI commander does not back away from big forces or get protected.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I think some work has been done on the AI Commander. I think it'll dump build orders now to kick in its combat behaviour.