A tournament to celebrate the first patch of 2014 - Such prize! Saturday 18th Jan!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cwarner7264, January 16, 2014.

1. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

... Okay thanks.
    I will play but seriously I cannot play so long, I'm really sad about that.
    This would be 1 am in the middle of the night for me and my parents would kill me if I do :/ lol. but if I get one of the pro-player of the tournament in the first round- I probably will lose and sleep in peace. ;)
    Edit: every tournament starts at this time..maybe one of the next tournaments could start 5 hours earlier?- this would be better for European people, or for younger people here... Or will this not work with the other time zones?
    Last edited: January 17, 2014
  2. bradburning

bradburning Active Member

I was to. :p

Did not even get to play the new patch begore it went down. Well at least the heatwave I have been through this week has broken 45c all week was a nightmare.

Can't wait to see some replays.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Even if you tell them you're playing for a $30-$40 prize? :p
  4. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

My Chances are not really high but I could tell them ;) but all the tournaments are still a little bit late... Maybe I do one a little bit earlier next time :)
  5. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid of disconnects :( they have been happening to me almost every game recently and I have to re download the freaking map every time i try to reconnect which usually takes 10 minutes. Is it just me or is everyone having that problem and what should we do if it does happen to us?
  6. cwarner7264

Good point. I'm not sure on how stable the build is overall. I'm thinking that connection issues generally mean either restart the match if the conclusion isn't certain or ask an officiator to make a judgement call.
  7. iron420

If we aren't getting casted who could make that call?
  8. cwarner7264

I'm hoping that most games would be casted. There are 6 officiators and a few more casters floating about. If anything occurs outside of that I think we'll have to take it on a case-by-case basis.
    iron420 likes this.
  9. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

Hi, can we add this to rules?
    It's to prevent 1 planet vs 1 planet stalemates which can happen easily and are probably unsolvable.
    zaphodx, Clopse and omgdude177 like this.
  10. cwarner7264

Probably. I'm just drafting up some rules now with a bit of help from others :p
    Clopse likes this.
  11. iron420

Maybe all planets in the match should me movable. THAT would prevent stalemates...
  12. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Games that are stalemating could be decided by the officiant after a review of stats at the end of the game based upon some kind of objective criteria...
  13. iron420

14. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

PA Stats mod?
  15. iron420

yea.. I'm saying what stats are we using to determine winners?
  16. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I think a jury would have decide about that. There are some cases that are very clear, and some that are very close. They should'nt give the win to someone, just because he produced 100 more metal than the other guy.

So in the really close cases, they might want to make them play another game.
  17. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Yeah, if it's "too close to call" then you rematch. But if the stats show something like a 2:1 ratio of units built? Maybe something like that could be considered "decisive" differences in gameplay?

I was watching a game last night and Godde's APM were crazy high. He won that game, but had that game gotten saturday night fever, I can say from having streamed it and watching it develop... I knew he was gonna win, long before Matiz knew he was gonna lose. :) And the stats definitely reflected that.

edit: and maybe it doesn't end up having to be decided by the officiant either - two players who are honest about their stats and performance might be perfectly willing to offer up the obvious answer themselves with the clearly poorer performer being willing to concede the match. It wouldn't hurt an officiant to ask. ;)
  18. iron420

I would think kills matter more than production, and right there we have to totally different ways of seeing a victory. Whatever stat we decide wins the game should be decided before hand to prevent disputes and make everything crystal clear. It's just bad organizing not to be clear on victory conditions, even if everyone is assumed to be a good sport. If you don't wanna pick a victory stat then it has to be all or nothing. No com death = no victory.
  19. cwarner7264

At the end of the day, it's very difficult to make a call on the game before it's actually over.

However, in this situation, we have to conduct all games at a reasonably fast pace to make sure we get it all done in one evening. It's going to be hectic.

We've got a good team of officiators who I'm hoping will be able to make decisions on each case to keep the tournament running smoothly but fairly.
  20. GODJESUS

GODJESUS New Member

Wouldn't win conditions be just... winning a game? I understand there are other important factors to the game, but ultimately the game is about trying to be the last commander standing. Sure, you could play a really great game but have some random luck and get taken out early, but that's true for any competition.

Football isn't decided on yards, racing isn't decided on best laps. Unless people decide that the PA win system is flawed beyond use, I feel like it should be about who wins, period. Anything else is objective
    beer4blood likes this.