A tournament to celebrate the first patch of 2014 - Such prize! Saturday 18th Jan!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cwarner7264, January 16, 2014.

1. iidutchmikey

iidutchmikey New Member

oke count me in!!
  2. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Why not a double elimination tourney? I can make the braket chart. edit: for the record, I wouldn't compete. Just happy to track progress.
    beer4blood likes this.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

They take too long to do in one evening - that is the only reason I decided to go with a traditional layout.

Thank you for your contribution to the prize fund. I've given you credit in the OP.
  4. nickbel

nickbel New Member

I would like to join.
    Steam/In-game name: Meat Bread
  5. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I can't take credit for the idea, it's my dad's actually lol. He used to run a business that was basically lan tourniments every saturday which were all day affairs. We used basically the same system for everything from Diablo 1 and 2, Quake 1 and 2, Doom (1 and 2), AVP 2, Dune 2000, Red Alert 1, Tiberium Sun etc.

for FPS it was 1 kill = 1 point. in RTS is was 1 kill = 1 point, 1 structure kill = 3 points, and an elimination bonus based on how late in the game you got eliminated. For Diablo it was XP = points and 1 ear = 100 points (I used to win by getting a large axe and then owning some1 over and over using the resurrect scroll LOL)

Heats ran all day until just after lunch, then Semis were filled from the top half of the players from the heats (if you were in more than 1 heat your scores were combined for the best overall scores to proceed), then semis and the finals were filled by the top players of the semis. Trophies were given to the top players of the finals and the door prize was handed out at the end (anyone could win it). I got, and honed, my skills at all games back in those days (middle school for me). My brother and I wern't allowed to win trophies by the end :p
  6. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Can i still join?
  7. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Well from the interest gathered in just a few minutes, you may have trouble getting it done in one day anyway as it looks like 32 wouldn't be tough to reach by Saturday, but I feel ya on the time issue.

For single elimination you can still do a playoff for 3rd place amongst the semi-finalists who don't advance.

edit: also, anyone who claims a baked carrot has to sign a waiver that agrees they will hold the olive harmless if they choose to ingest or in any way remove said carrot from it's airtight container, which would be quite unpleasant indeed.
  8. cwarner7264

Yup!
  9. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Simple the top two face each other and 3,4 face of for their places, after all appropriate heats.

Disregard others have I it more thoroughly covered.
  10. iron420

Wait... this is a 1v1 tournament? :( I was assuming all the players would be playing together...
  11. nickbel

nickbel New Member

Hey....
    You skipped me :(
  12. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

I so want to play, but the timing can't work for me unfortunately. *snif*
    +1 on the concept and the excitement, but sadly I cannot actually participate in the tourney.
  13. cwarner7264

Sorry! Added!
  14. iron420

PA is about grand battles and massive fights. It seems very un-PA to do 1v1 battles. Are there even going to be multiple planets in the fights? I think all heats, semis and finals should have at least 8 players and at least 2 planets and 2 moons
  15. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Okay, AND, since my name's up there, I might as well make it worth it. I've got a coupon redeemable at gamestop for a $10 Google Play card. You have to take it into a GS to redeem it, but it's as simple as that. It's also easier to ship, and arguably much more pleasant, than the carrot, but if you prefer the carrot, by all means.

So.

My official prize offering is for 3rd place in a playoff between the two semi-finalists who don't advance. Winner's choice of EITHER a baked carrot OR a coupon redeemable at any GameStop for a $10 Google Play POSA card.

:p

I love editing posts. EDIT: If the tourney structure is changed I'll adjust accordingly.

EDIT EDIT: What the heck, I'll volunteer to cast and officiate as well. Sounds fun. :)
    iron420 likes this.
  16. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

But what is when the patch doesnt come out before Saturday? :p ^^
  17. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

DAMNIT! You've discovered our secret ploy to shame the devs into releasing the patch before the weekend...

MUAHAHAHAAAAAA!
    iceDrop and FXelix like this.
  18. cwarner7264

I put a disclaimer in the orange box on the spreadsheet :p
  19. iron420

Fine, make your tiny 1v1 torunament for ants... when it's all done

[​IMG]
    carlorizzante likes this.
  20. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

So what are you thinking about time limits for rounds. This is where 99% of tournament have turned into jokes. Do we all need to be present at 19:00 on Saturday or is that when it begins? I was planning on not going out Saturday to play this, But if it's the classic set up I won't need to?