2nd Playtest 1/13/2014

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metabolical, January 14, 2014.

1. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

2. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

SoonTM
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  3. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

When will then be now?
  4. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Are units supposed to be able to walk through the walls? I noticed that in both this and the previous vid that bots seem to be able to march right through.

Also, did anyone catch what the new units at the advanced bot factory and orbital launcher were?
  5. hohopo

hohopo Member

Jodark there was an advanced medi bot and a defensive unit (not sure if it moves or not... )
    I am enjoying the look of the next few patches based off these play tests, orbital is finally now happening "early" and can be used throughout the game, for more then a moon drop....
    Soon indeed
  6. equinoxiswin

equinoxiswin Active Member

I actually sort of like that bots can walk through walls but tanks can't. I think that's an interesting mechanic.

So far, known new units include obviously the gunship and the flak turret, but there is also an orbital defense platform and a medic-bot/mine-layer that will be in the upcoming build.
  7. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

I wonder how the advanced medic is different from the basic medic.
  8. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

The description says that the basic medic builds mines, while the advanced medic can build certain structures.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Perhaps they could be compared tomorrow?
    drz1 and stormingkiwi like this.
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

If you watch that chat in the first game, you clearly see scathis saying "we have to fix bots walking through walls"
  11. hohopo

hohopo Member

You can also see him trolling us at the start of this one with "Ready up, I think this might be it"
  12. RoboticPrism

RoboticPrism New Member

I would just like to point out that while the teleporters do fix the issue of moving troops between planets, the player we watched was very easily able to secure both planets almost immediately once he built teleporters there. How will players invade enemy planets once they become heavily fortified?
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  13. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I lolled when he went back to look for his units on the moon that had been set to area patrol and they had the enemy outpost completely surrounded.

Area patrol looks like it's gonna be awesome.

I also like that the teleporters are super quick to build. That + able to build from orbital fabricators should make it feasible to get useful numbers of units in on fortified planets. Unless you show up REALLY LATE to the planet, it should be possible to get a shooting war started pretty fast, using your main base to supply units. And even if a planet gets super fortified, unless every part of it is covered by laser turrets it seems feasible that you can get a teleporter down and some units through before the catapults hit it.
    aevs likes this.
  14. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Not sure what teleporter health is like but they build so fast that I would think someone could fly over there with an orbital fabricator, build a teleporter faster than any wandering patrol-bots could kill it and start driving through his own units. Once you've driven through with a concentration of even 10 or so Levelers, they'll be able to cause more than their weight in damage as bots wander into them one by one.

Plus he shouldn't have taken it so easily. Orange just had what appeared to be zero defenses down and no troops.
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Levellers can't shoot down nukes

Considering how pointless that made tanks to attack a fortified position, I'm going to bet that that was a sensible post by him, rather than trolling.
    aevs likes this.
  16. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

So excited for the patch this week. Keep up the good work Uber!
  17. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

This is just one of many patches and changes to come. There will be more things, we know about a unit cannon. And I'm hoping for more orbital options to help with this kind of things (both the def. and the offense). Also right now you could nuke a spot and then build a beach head in the rubble.
    crankone likes this.
  18. RoboticPrism

RoboticPrism New Member

Of course, both a nuke beach head and a unit cannon drop would work within a war taking place on a planet orbiting the main planet. My concern, however, lies in how to invade a separate planet, where nukes and the unit cannon (assuming it works similar to nukes) cannot reach. Please realize that the situation of such a heavily fortified planet is relatively rare, but still can happen. I would just like to see a way to resolve it eventually.

This being said, in the mean time, battling in a system where all other planets revolve around a single planet no longer poses stalemate issues thanks to the strategy you described. So I am thankful for that :)
  19. duncane

duncane Active Member

Okay... so I watched the whole thing. What happen at the end? My guess is they realized your teleporter drops on each planet and area patrols basically owned the moon and metal planet?
  20. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

If we're talking about invading a fortified planet then nuking my teleporter would be awesome and I hope the person I'm invading does it. Because I probably built my teleporter as close as possible to some interesting stuff I was hoping to destroy. He'll be nuking some of his own stuff.

Plus it's using a 30,000+ metal missile to destroy probably 10,000 metal worth of teleporter and units I managed to get through. As long as my factories are running and my orbital fabricators are still around, I'll just keep building teleporters til I run him out of nukes (which may happen quickly if he keeps nuking the energy plants and metal mines that I keep building my teleporters next to).

My only concern would be planets that are thick with Umbrellas. I hope the orbital fabricators can take a few hits or are cheap enough for me to send dozens at a time.