1.0? ...Many Linux users still can't even play...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by classic1977, August 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classic1977

classic1977 Member

http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=2392

Game is unpayable for many Linux users. The UI crashes and doesn't respond to input. It's one thing to release a game without matchmaking and ladders (though as I have pointed out before, it's a bad idea), it's another for your game to be nonfunctional on one if it's "supported" OSes.

If this is 1.0, I want my money back. That isn't hyperbole - I WANT MY MONEY BACK. 1.0 means no more beta, it means a finished product. A finished product should work. I literally can't finish a game, and the cause is in your code, or specifically your code's use of coherentUI.
    tatsujb and Shwyx like this.
  2. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

Can you not judge what is coming with what we have? You don't know what will be like in the released version right? Why are you so angry?
  3. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

The game is one build away from going gold and unplayable on an entire platform. There also has been little attention from Uber's side to all issues Linux lately.

Is it really that surprising that people get frustrated?
  4. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

I'm affected by this issue as well, but I am less upset at this point. I expect there to be a fix in the next patch.
    dukyduke and shootall like this.
  5. shootall

shootall Active Member

I'm also one of the linux users but i have to say that i fully expect uber to keep up their great work so far and fix the issue. I see no need to call for a refund. I've been playing since early beta and most importantly, i have no doubt it's just a matter of time before i will be able to play again.

With that said, i miss playing and i'd love to see a fix as soon as possible :)
    Last edited: August 26, 2014
    jeffwadsworth, dukyduke and nateious like this.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

As I mentioned in another thread, they hired a dev purley to work on the Linux build, so I'm certian this is being worked on. This perticular problem is harder to fix than other issues and can only be resolved at Ubers end, which is why a fix for this hasn't been as quick as other problems (SXX has been able to sort many of the smaller bugs espetially with things like the open source graphics drivers).

I would at least wait until the 'pre gold' build is released for us to test before getting too worked up, the build we have at the moment is actually quite a few versions old (remember there was a PTE build or 2 that have been disabled between the current Stable and the new build due to go live)
    jeffwadsworth, lokiCML and shootall like this.
  7. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

I am not surprised but now I am after seeing your post... and how negative your attitude can be? I am not surprised as The 1977 dude is new to the forum, but what is your problem?
  8. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

get Windows, problem solved ;)
    Linux isn't developed for gaming
  9. Brokenshakles

Neither was Windows, Tweenstar. If you knew anything about software design, you would know that a general purpose operating system is designed to run a specifically formatted set of arbitrary instructions, pulled from memory. Since games are just another set of these instructions, all general purpose operating systems are technically designed to run games.

Also, Linux >>>>>>> Windows.

And considering my other 20 Steam titles all run flawlessly on Linux, this little inconvenience would hardly convince me to switch.
    Antiglow, lokiCML, gerii and 4 others like this.
  10. cdrkf

I dual boot with Windows and Xubuntu, I'm waiting patiently for the linux version to be polished up then I'll probably switch over to it.

Been playing Spring on linux for years :) Sadly I need a number of propriotry application for work so I'm stuck with a windows partition.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

because contrary to you he doesn't have a game when it WAS (this time) a legitimate promise that he would.

I don't know what planet you come from but on Earth you can't sell a 1.0 title that won't even start up, there are certain limits to the "discover it while it's coded" thing
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Diablo 3? :D
    shootall and nateious like this.
  13. tatsujb

that's not quite the same. some of these are errors that have been springing up in the game industry more and more.
    In the case of Diablo it was too many people springing onto the servers at once. (they could have done a clockwise release)
    here it's legitimate incompatibility and linux code being insufficient.
    Personally for me the game runs, and pretty good, but it is in a pretty broken state. most of the UI is alpha-level. lots of buttons I can't click on.

The password box doesn’t work.
    There is no GUI launcher.
    there is no icon.

LOOOOOOTS of non-negligible work.

I think it's a valid concern.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Oh I agree, only messing around. Maybe you guys should try out the steam version for linux? It means no broken launche, and it updates easy. Or you could just skip the launcher altogether and use the .ex- oh wait... :p
  15. tatsujb

no, with steam we'd have to wait longer for each update.

using terminal is fine. it's the clean way (not the "broken" way) to do it. But the same level of comfort as on windows/mac would only be fair
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's understandable you're sad about UI crash issues wasn't fixed, but can you please clarify what Linux issues are you talking about?
    shootall likes this.
  17. Brokenshakles

18. tatsujb

It's fun how I'm finding linux users left and right.

You can never completely let go of windows but virtualisation and wine goes a long way for you not to have to dual boot anymore.

Also apparently windows is gonna be making office for linux. And Steam? they're not gonna turn back now. too far down the linux road and Gabe Newell is dead set on making every game in steam run on linux. at least all the ones made by valve.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. cdrkf

Sadly I doubt my engineering CAD software will come to linux any time soon (and things like WINE can only get you SO far... TA runs under wine for example, but many other programms have too tighter dependnecy on Windows that to get them to work you have to OWN a copy of windows to get all the required files from).
  20. tatsujb

what about this : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768

tricking graphic card into forgetting it's in emulation to get 100% and then streaming the apps through steam to your linux desktop?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.