Uber Weekly Update - August 5, 2014

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, August 5, 2014.

1. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Can any of the Toy Rush devs comment on the struggles of getting the game to the Android platform?
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It could be improved slightly. At the start of a galactic war show the player three sets of three random technologies. Let the player choose one of those and then start the game but don't bother leaving empty systems to claim. You can make players fight for every system, let them know which techs they start with before they get too far in, and still keep the random aspect that makes GW interesting.
    japporo, ArchieBuld and tehtrekd like this.
  3. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I appreciate the passion, but this is the kind of question I really don't like answering. The whole jab + great idea + legit question combo is tough to handle. What am I supposed to do, you know?

But anyway, that's a great idea. Not currently in the cards. (Fun fact: we've talked about doing this in the past.)
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

It's an honest and legit question with a meme-worthy jab behind it. Don't read into it bro - this isn't politics lol
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I think it was a light hearted jab. ;)
  6. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Fair enough, although that wasn't so much a jab as it was a lighthearted... okaymaybeitwasalittlebitofajab.

EDIT: Ninja'd. CURSE YOU SQUISHY!!!
    EDIT2: That picture is slightly less sfw than I had anticipated.

Attached Files:

squishypon3 and ArchieBuld like this.
  7. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Nice update, looking forward to the polish, gas giants and especially new annihilation options!! ^^
  8. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Ooh ooh ooh, can we rename Galactic War to this? I'd *LOVE* to play that campaign!! :cool:
    cptconundrum and ArchieBuld like this.
  9. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I really like the addition of the Tags! I do think we may need a few more. Like "Tournament" and "Learning/Teaching". I'm sure others have some ideas as well. The idea is awesome though. It is exactly what I was asking for a while back.
    lokiCML likes this.
  10. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Will the interface rework continue? Interface has improved a lot with the last update, but right now it is integrated a bit like ModernUI in Win8:
    You cannot go without the new one, but the old one isn´t already gone and both are lacking functions...
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Criticism ≠ jab/attack.

Just because a player doesn't like a certain functionality doesn't mean he/she is attacking you or the company or the game.

And I very much agree with tehtrekd. The Galactic War itself doesn't have much strategy to it. It's just a string of skirmishes with limited tech. I very much want there to be actual strategy to moving your units and when/what/where to attack.

Essentially, I'd love to have Galactic War operate a lot like Risk. Where we and our opponents move around our Commanders each turn and then the battles are actual battles rather than the rolling of the dice.

It'd take quite a lot of work, but it would be nothing short of epic.
    cdrkf, japporo, stuart98 and 3 others like this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Okay, compare cptnconondrum's post to his.

Or

Which ones more constructive sounding? :p

Edit: what I see as the jab is the last bit, even though I see it as being a lighthearted one rather than being a very serious one, something said more to get likes than much else. ;)
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  13. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Misunderstanding of meme aside, I just see that stuff as rude.

But let's drop this pretty please and just focus on the update. That'd be rad!
  14. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

That would be amazing....all the support for a risk kind of Galactic War
  15. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Just another random question...

Are we gonna get some more lore released this year?
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  16. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

You mean like it was on rise of nations?
    mjshorty likes this.
  17. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

So, Uber, what are the plans for Gas Giants? Resource planets? New orbital units?

Giant atmospheric whales?
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

not so keen on possible superrobots to be honest ...
    but i`m looking forward to see what gas giants will bring to the table ...
    Last edited: August 5, 2014
    Fr33Lancer and brianpurkiss like this.
  19. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

You know what would be nice an element of asymmetry added to Galactic War (and PA itself). Along lines of @neutrino's original idea for the commanders.* It would increase depth within PA. Although due to the uproar over commander differentiation which would apparently it would destroyed competitive play because it would be inherently unbalance.:rolleyes: Which makes me a sad panda.:( Which would've made the commanders much more useful in the game but you know.:rolleyes:
    I nearly fell out of my seat. Yes. Yes. Yes. "Gas Giants!":cool::D

*https://forums.uberent.com/threads/commanders-and-what-we-know-so-far.43415/
    Last edited: August 6, 2014
  20. japporo

japporo Active Member

I think Brian has an excellent idea.

Let's say that each controlled system could produce one point per turn and let's also say that (off the cuff) you could purchase 50 unit control slots for one point, a commander for 5 points, a basic technology for 5 points, and an advanced technology for 10 points. Battles could only be initiated between commanders and losing the battle means that the commander is destroyed along with all resources attached to him (technologies and unit control slots). Resources could be transferred between systems at the rate of one hop per turn.