The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Aaaaand we're back to Trump implying that Russia did in fact meddle:
    So what, now they are meddling? Does he have alzheimer's and not know what he said about previously? Can he hold a thought at all? Does he even understand his own narrative?
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yet, if I call you libtard, God forbid the word sounds stupid anyway, then you say your actions supporting liberals doesn't dictate the total of your feelings. Of course, because you've totally supported conservative anything at any point ever. Shining beacon of unbiased here.

Biased thinking, hasn't gotten anyone very far. Talk about Trump being impeached/executed/the body defiled, good talk from liberals with no action or success to back it up. Just as mundane as the arsanine shtuff Trump says as well, who's an idiot for talking tough shtuff like a stupid arsewipe, according to the words of some loving liberals who are talking tough shtuff like a bunch of stupid arsewipes themselves.

Ironic, magnetically bipolar in division, yet so similar in action.
  4. tatsujb

we actually don't want trump impeached because the whole line of succession is everything worse than trump get your facts straight
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah at least Trump is so chaotic that is kind of slowing everything down and makes it really obvious how incredible incompetent he is.

But some of the people in the line of succession seem much more capable of going through with their agenda.
    As in they actually have a consistent agenda, just a very problematic one.

As is the best possible outcome likely is that the Trump administration just continues being ridiculous for the next 4 years and by then even most Trump supporters will have been backstabbed enough by Trump to no longer support him.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Is he really slowing things down?
    I'm not so sure, he's a really good distraction sure. The focus is too much on Trump, instead of the behind the scenes things that are happening (healthcare, tax reform)...

7. cola_colin

They're at attempt number two of the healthcare thing. I would not call that fast.

I am also really confused at how they want to get that through the vote. All the "write it in secret and keep it hidden as long as possible and then have horrible things in it" seems to be really a bad idea if you want senators to vote for it.
    I don't understand that strategy.

At the end of the day the healthcare/tax thing is pretty sad for US citizens.
    We're both not one of them. Lucky us.

In terms of worrying climate change issues and stupid foreign policies are more pressing from our non-US-citizen viewpoint.
    elodea and tatsujb like this.
  8. Devak

From what i understand, using part bullying, part indirect bribery and part duty.

Essentially, they hope that the republicans hate obamacare enough to replace it with anything, or will act like a good republican and pursue party ideology despite self-interest, or will simply follow self-interest (since Trumpcare is essentially a huge tax cut for Trump's own demographic).
    America has a lot of problems, but they're being pushed down the line by ever more extreme political polarization. solving it's problems would require broad and extensive solutions, and it's doable, just not when your political agenda is "not the other guy". Hell they're even extremely anti-cooperation, as Obama tried that tactic and got nothing but a shut door from the republicans.

Issues like police violence against black people (nowadays it seems like even black cops aren't safe) can't just be solved by a few fancy laws, it would basically require a complete culture change in america.

Seems like we're in an age where The West reaps the results of 500 years of foreign policy mismanagement.
  9. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Oops

- Why would Russian state actors hack the dnc and then leave a direct russian ip. Come on, let's be adults.

- Did you know Obama knew about "russian hacking of databases" for a year prior. I thought he said the election was unhackable? What did he mean by this?

- who flynn? What russian collusion? I thought they had transcripts of his conversations?

- I don't even know what to say about this. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel if you think it's collusion to tell the russians "hey, ISIS has a way of using laptops to blow up planes. Just letting you know".

Honestly, i could mine this thread for days with the amount of quotes from people gobbling up the cnn propaganda. Heck, you're already starting to pivot from trump is a russian puppet. Won't be long now.
    Last edited: June 27, 2017
  10. elodea

Finally, someone made an actual legitimate criticism of trump. Hallelujah, there is still hope afterall
  11. cola_colin

Clearly cnn is the only actor in here who has ever spread propaganda. ;)

These whole "Russia this, Russia that" thing(s) are somewhat amusing to look at from a safe distance. Utter chaos. Russia sure got a lot out of doing whatever they did, which at minimum was just having a harmless talk with some Trump people who were incapable to handling the situation. Probably also various attempts of hacking the US, because let's not ignore reality the Russians are hacking everybody.
    Or as Putin puts it "independent Russian patriots that are totally independent from the Russian government ... ;)"

Just going "yep I did talk to a Russian, so what" is impossible instead Trump and his team rather do stuff like this:

I mean how BAD is this. "Will you make sure to investigate any attempts of our sort-of-enemy Russia to influence our government?" "Oh yeah I don't know about such attempts and btw I really just need to say I never even spoke to the Russians. I promise!".

... just to later have to proof show up he did have a talk with some Russians.
    I mean he wasn't even ASKED about his own potential talks with the Russians, but he has to make up a lie about it on the spot for ... reasons?!

Trump and his people are really good at being stupid like this, which may be the biggest factor in why this whole drama has gotten this far.
    You would think the possibility of the Russians meddling with US politics in any way would be a serious thing that the US intelligence would take under a serious investigation. Like be adults about it and stop the drama.
    Instead Trump turns it into a circus by going "Comey you're fired because ... ummm you were mean to Hillary.... umm I mean stop investigating the Russia thing I don't like it".

The Russians don't even have to do much at this point to bring chaos about the US government. They sure must be happy. In a way it would be "nice" for the Americans if this really were a complicated Russian plot. At least they would have somebody to point fingers at about this clusterfuck. If the Russian really did nothing then all this chaos is "Made in the USA". Congratulations.
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  12. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

If you called me a leftist I wouldn't refute it. Liberal, I would, because that's a more centrist term misused by folks on the right as anyone leftwards of, I dunno, moderate Republicans.

Therein lies the difference ;)
    tatsujb and stuart98 like this.
  13. Devak

Seems to me they got way more than they bargained for. An openly pro-russian idiot or someone willing to fight Putin's nonsense, the kremlin's choice was clear. The puppet thing was before we realized that trump really listens to nobody, not even himself. I thought he was at least somewhat competent, but he seems hellbent on destroying every shred of credibility he has.

You make it sound like the best hacking tactic there is. Just leave the address, nobody believes you.
    That he was wrong? Although with the hostile republicans blocking his every move, the only way Obama could've done anything about it was openly praise the Russians so that republicans would sanction them out of pure spite.
    I'm just pointing stuff out. Because trump himself seems to think he's under investigation, and when his lawyer was asked to clarify, he said he wasn't and then said he was and then denied saying he was. Point is, at this point it's all really unclear if he is, since he can't get his story straight. Also the isreali apparently weren't too happy with it. Plus trump has the mother of all conflicts of interest due to all his business with Russia but also in the middle east.

Would be nice if trump could make up his mind on anything and could hold that thought for more than a few days.

Latest word from the ******* POTUS: Russian meddling is real and i'm not under investigation (although my laywer can't make up his mind).

We'll see how long that narrative lasts.
  14. elodea

Why you gotta do this to me colin? Thought you had finally recovered from trump derangement syndrome, enabling you to finally see clearly actual problems like US proxy war escalations in the middle east.

Proven wrong about muh russia conspiracy? "Oh I thought it was just nonsense all along, it's trump's fault for being so stupid and causing so much drama."

Because the drama had everything to do with trump and not something a bit closer to the heart. I don't even really care about this specific issue anymore, it's just slightly disturbing how closed some of you guys are towards breaking free from the lefty echo chamber and thinking independently for yourself. And it's not like there was a conspicuous absence of clues.
  15. cola_colin

Nothing in either direction is proven and I don't claim anything. I've completely lost track of all the various things going on there.
    I do claim that it's quite a big clusterfuck from all involved parties and I hope you do see that.
    I mean when you say "proven wrong about the muh russia conspiracy" I honestly do not even know what conspiracy you are talking about. There are too many. Some ridiculous, some not.

Yes there are other important problems. Although the inability of the US government to clear up the absurd confusion all the "Russia here, Russia there" stuff is definitely a real problem for them. If Russia really did influence the US election in some way that would be a big issue for the US democracy as a whole and it is a shame the US government just handles clearing this up so miserably bad.
    I don't personally give a damn about Russia, I just point out how absurd they are handling the issue.

Also the Comey thing: While I do think that Trump asking Comey to step down about Comey investigating possible Russia-stuff is a very questionable act I do not want Trump to be impeached.
    As said before: There is no good replacement available. Better keep the clown in office and hope until 2018 and 2020 the majority of the public will realize Trump was a bad a idea, blame the whole republican party for it and go vote ... somebody else.
    Now don't see this as support of the Democratic party please, they're mostly stupid as well.

There were discussions about these things somewhere at the start of this thread. There are actual problems there. Doesn't mean the absurdity of all the Russia-stuff isn't also a problem and a very good example of how incompetent the Trump administration is.
  16. Devak

I don't think elodea is fully up to date on the whole russia thing, seeing as he was unaware that there were multiple russia-related things going on.

America isn't really a democracy, it's a federation. The electoral college isn't that democratic to begin with.

*shudders* Mike Pence, christian extremist.

Hasn't that been the talk for years now? USA messing with countries (democratically elected or not) during the Cold War, messing about in the middle east for oil, uh WMD's, and now half-assedly intervening in Syria except not really.
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Again, more evidence to support my claims. Echo chambers exist across the ideological spectrum. Short of disagreeing with everybody on the planet at all times, you will inevitably be a part of an echo chamber at one point or another.

Keep pushing that narrative :D
  18. cola_colin

19. tatsujb

20. elodea

For every comedy central or comedy talk show video you post, i'm going to give you some real food.

Jesus, stop putting words in my mouth. Starting to remember why I stopped posting here. How old are you guys really?

If you continue this retarded strawmanning out of context, I will start quote mining this thread and neither you nor I will want that to have to happen.
    Last edited: June 29, 2017