A little project I made

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by cola_colin, May 14, 2017.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

A web based stickman animation tool/game thingy. It's still pretty rough and the list of things I'd like to add is long, but unlike many other projects that died of feature creep before ever seeing the light of day I pushed through with a minimal version instead. It's pretty bare bones, but I'd like some initial feedback. Does it even work for once? :D

Also there is no explanation of how it works at all. It mimics similar tools, I'd hope it should not be that hard to understand... But I may be wrong.

Tell me if it makes any sense to you ;)

http://99stickman.com/
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It definitely works, I'm not sure how else more to test it really.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

seems to work
  4. cola_colin

But nobody made any animation and shared it, hmm?
  5. cola_colin

What browser is that?
    When exactly did the crash occur?
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Idk, if it made sprites for Megaman, I'd probably extensively use it.
  7. cola_colin

Not gonna use copyrighted assets, but planning to add other kinds of Sprites for selection.
  8. cola_colin

That's weird.

OS? Chrome version? Is this on your gaming machine or on a potato?
    All of Chrome dies or just the tab? Any chrome addons active?

EDIT:
    curious, I did test this on my tablet, which is a somewhat advanced potato and it worked ... in MS edge. Chrome on the other shows similar "omg I am gonna kill myself now" behavior, as you seem to have seen.
    Maybe I'll reduce the number of recent animations shown and/or reduce their framerate...
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    tunsel11 likes this.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

cola_colin likes this.
  10. cola_colin

I cut down the preview quality on the main page. I'll have to rethink that page later. The way it is now it still lags my tablet a little at times, but it is a little better. Rendering 9 completely different game instances is just a bad idea I guess.
    Also now only 6 recents instead of 9.

Maybe I'll make it 4 later, but with some buttons to look at older stuff.

EDIT:
    It seems the problem is specific to chrome on "weak" (?) devices. Firefox and Edge both deal with it fine.
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  11. cola_colin

@tunsel11 I've reworked the main page. Can you test it again to make sure the issue is gone?
    tunsel11 likes this.
  12. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Works fine for me currently on Chrome (Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)). Will test Firefox (Developer Edition, haha) later today. No time to really create anything with it.

Solid basic UX, buttons are nice, flat and clickable. Checkmark on tween(ing) for frames might need to be larger (styling checkboxes in CSS is an absolute pain, but doable).
    cola_colin likes this.
  13. cola_colin

Yeah, it sure is. Similar issues with the select elements and the input elements. So annoying. Might just build my own elements out of plain divs and javascript. Would probably be much less hacky as it is now. I tried to hard to get the add-type select box to fill the full height of the bottom, but the hacky css that makes it look not totally browser depended is beyond me and screws with everything I tried.
    Gorbles likes this.
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Variable height CSS is one of those dead unicorns that always seems good to be true and never seems to work out. Variable width is doable, for some weird reason.

Like, I can do variable height from scratch I think, but I'd need complete control of the environment and code, and this isn't account for things like pseudo elements like :after and the like. Basically you set a height on the document and explicitly cascade this down through the body, into the divs, and so on. And then (and only then) the height is respected (if there are any breaks in the chain it defaults to X% of 0, which gives you a height of 0). Even that might not work reliably anymore, it's been a while since I tested it.