Will Human Resources ever return?

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by xEnderxLoneWolf, July 28, 2015.

?

Do you want Human Resources to come back?

1. Yes

82.5%
  2. No

17.5%
  1. cyrnakka

cyrnakka New Member

Also i do not think, that win button would be OP.
    First it would be a really advanced structure which you do not build at start and it needs some time to summon a god so you can still destroy beacon and destroy it before the devouring commence.

Also idea for a Machine unit!
    -Nano Carrier- This is second level unit and it creates a cloud of nanobots. It can bassically heal units and kill enemies. Nanocloud acts like shield in which units can hide but when it was destroyed (Not by ancient melee, but by magic) then unit is very vulnerable.

And also Ancients units.
    -Gargoyle- Fast, flying, nasty. What you need to know more? It has melle attack but it can take smaller units and throw them on ground. Swarm of these and Machine leader will need to spend some humans to build AA.
    Nasty.
    -Long hand- Ancients do not have normal firing unit, there can be some acid spitter, but i would prefere them on close range, like my Big ones hunters. But this unit has a really long tentacle to shot down so nasty Machine gunships. Wont work on fighters, but against gunships they are perfect.

Also how to build biggies? All big units shown in trailer (Cutter, Walker, Nugg) were too big for some factory.
    There are three ways: first you can summon them like a ability, second from multiple builders (machines can go with more advanced factories) ,and third we can use building but it would be a really big so it wouldnt be a factory but some kind of techno/magic portal (really big portal).
    Last edited: October 20, 2015
  2. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

It be a big financial risk I'd imagine, unfortunately some things that get shot down stay dead. That's why it's very important to think before you shoot lol.
  3. sarais

sarais New Member

I think everybody would like it back as it was a unique and intresting concept (And when the hell has there been a Lovecraftian RTS?). and it's humorous take on everything, The art style is good too.

I think the real problems were just the time of the kickstarter, and the other issues floating about at the time, Everybody wanted the game, but it was not the correct time to do so, and it's one of the most well known bouts of kickstarter game failiures, and prehaps the most stinging.

Human resources could of been a really fun little thing. I think if they went the route of "hey, you know those DLC skin models or whatever? well we're also sending you a toy of it too", or units that the community really loves or requests a lot. Nothing complicated, just something simple.

Prehaps that could be another lure of TA-style games? The TA game maker made toys, so maybe we should go full circle and make toys of iconic units?
  4. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

[​IMG]
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  5. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

This thread is a proof that necromancy isn´t always a bad thing... :p
  6. sarais

sarais New Member

oh christ i didn't even realise the date.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

there isn't realy much to say on it though

would people like hr?
    Heck yes

will it happen ever ?
    mayyyyyyyyy be .... sometime .... in the far future ....

and that's pretty much thread ....
  8. sarais

sarais New Member

Still, it wasn't that the idea wasn't liked- I'm sure everybody liked the concepts of HR and PA. however their initial executions left something to be desired.

Now that PA:T and it's legion mod is out, prehaps they could talk to the legion guys, see if they can bring them onboard, and kick this thing back into gear.

Unfortunately, relying ENTIRELY on kickstarter was a poor idea. RTS games are starting to pick up again. Now is the time, Uber. Make a game that's worthy of a spiritual successor to C&C.

You should also put some sort of playable prototype or concept in people's hands this time, even if it is just a preset scenario on a single map with a handful of units. Doing this worked for System Shock, as it was essentially a demo for the whole product. Work on one single map and the basic stuff for the factions, and then see if it works.

Furthermore, at the time, you had just launched PA. It was not a good idea to then immidiately hurl another out there.

The desire and demand for the game is obviously there (seriously, people are just becoming more aware of this game now and are pretty sad), it's just a question of all manner of factors. If it was started again with some sort of playable prototype then that would be lovely.

Furthermore, you also need to be aware of the Tumblrinas trying to slander-post. That has ruined many a people, game, and so forth. Mainly because people are so dumb they'll believe anything on tumblr.

What you could also attempt is doing something a bit more unpresedented and unheard of so far; Whilst kickstarter helps fund games, we lack a service where the community is DIRECTLY a part of the game's development, helping to contribute and build up the game. Some people don't even WANT to be paid, as it's something they love and care deeply about, and want to see it succeed. Some merely want recognition, and others don't even want to be mentioned at all.

Mod-Makers are probably key to how many RTS games need to be developed now. You need to involve the community directly in developing and building the game. While you work on one part, have the community help with another, then patch in the work that the others did. Go back and forth. Present concept arts to the community, tossing a wide variety of concept art up, saying "This is what we worked on today, this is what we created. We will be putting this in regardless, but another perspective could open up even more opportunities, and even potentially create ideas that neither party could of thought of on their own. So, here are our various little designs, if you like any of them that we did not use that you would still like to see at some point, let us know, if you get an idea by combining two diffrent peices of concept art, let us know. Toss on your own thoughts to the designs. If the line between Player and Developer is blurred, then perhaps this could solve things?

I say this as a result of Legion. This mod has brought a good feel of another faction into the game. It's quite fun. I feel that if Uber played along with the release of Legion (as in, create updates back and forth between the makers of legion and the uber team, where one party will create a small content update, do a bit of a flair-y backstory and minor promotional work, and then fling it at the other. Suffice to say, it's like a war story being told through content updates. Say one faction's meta tends to build a lot of one type of unit or cluster of units, or one particular strategy. Then this can be considered for an expansion or major update, as one faction "develops new strategies and technologies to counter the new threats posed by our enemies". Cavedog used to release single units over time, so maybe Uber releasing 1 unit, then Legion Team releasing 1 unit, and so on and so forth. This will easily create a shifting balance and meta. Eventually, there will be a pool of units so large, that players will then be tasked with loadouts akin to Galactic War, swapping out units before a match out of their pool of availible units. (See: Airmech, except we're just swapping out units on the hotbar for other units, not capping them at 8 units to take into a match)

Furthermore, like RTS games themselves, RTS game development must be very cautious. You must focus on how to get Revenue Over Time rather than all at launch. What you should be aiming for is low initial sales, and then exponentially increasing over time.

What I may be unwittingly saying is this:
    If you want to develop an RTS game, you have to develop like the development is an RTS game itself. You have to fight a pretend war with another team.

Aka

To create an RTS game these days, you need to have the development teams split and focus on one faction per, and then compete against the other team of developers.

Two different development teams. Sounds like a lot, right? But prehaps the salvation of RTS games is, ironically enough, all RTS game companies banding together into one single massive RTS juggernaut, and strategically battling eachother with development, like mocking real wars: you're always trying to outplay, outstrategize, outdevelop, and so on, the other team.

RTS games also need to be designed, ultimately, with the idea that "One faction could win this game permanantly!" in the lore- You'll still be able to play it and everything, but the menus and other various material will change to reflect this.

Whilst Planetside 1 never really was an RTS, it was ultimately an endless battle, however, one side ultimately did win at server shutdown, the Vanu Soverignty.

My point is, Uber should really get into serious talks with the Legion Dev Team, and then start flinging fictional barbs at eachother to encourage the Uber/MLA development team to beat the Legion Development Team, having them create official updates for legion, whilst Uber makes official updates for MLA, however both of them are trying to beat the other. Uber should henceforth, simply record a responce video to the Legion expansion, but from an in-game perspective.

Another thing, RTS games need to engage and immerse the player just as much as FPS games. The series that did this best was, unquestionably, C&C.

A company creating a promotional video for a Mod your community made, with existing content already in the game? Nobody's ever heard of that before!

If Uber wishes, and reads this, I could toss together a quick voiceline for a potential PA Campaign- Differing from the Galactic War in that GW is a roguelike form of RTS, and Campaign is traditional gameplay- but gives you a story and a whole bunch of scripts to go alongside it, introducing the player to the universe, trying to indoctrinate them to allying to a fictional faction, and caring for this faction. It will also serve as an advanced, better tutorial, breaking down every element and slowly introducing everything over time through the missions.- of which I can aid if they desire.
    Last edited: July 19, 2016
    Nicb1 and tunsel11 like this.
  9. MrTBSC

there is idea and there is neccesity ...

the thing with the HR KS was that it has been used to keep the staff occupied that formerly finished the work on PA .. and as you might remember a good ammount has been layed off after the failed KS ..
    PA ´s early release may have also been because of budget reasons or something regarding a deal with nordic, that we simply can´t realy know ..

if Uber didn´t attempt the KS that simply means that staff would have been layed off earlier as it now has happaned anyway .. so those people could have at best kept their jobs ..

edit:
    oh wait... you are the same guy from youtube .. so already told you

acording to @forrestthewoods to make a propper rts these days you might requiere a budget somewhere 15 and 20 million minimum ... according to @Scathis making pa vanila appearantly had an overal cost of 9 million, 2.3 million coming from the kickstarter among with an unknown number from what may have been gained through early access and uberstaff´s own investments ..

supcom vanila back then (considering inflationrate) had a cost of about 12 million acording to chris taylor who now works for wargaming ...
    this kinda shows of how much less uber had to work with in order to make PA .. and it´s still unknown how much they actual gained in winnings from the game ... otherwise why the HRKS ... why the lay offs? ...

how much did act of aggression cost, grey goo... or how much will ashes of the singularity cost when eventualy done if at all ?..
    Last edited: July 21, 2016
  10. maxpowerz

You also need to consider the consumer market for RTS games and weigh cost of development to it's return.
    From what i have seen there is aprox. 60,000 dedicated rts gamers out there, and im assuming most of them are willing to invest in a new RTS title.
    If all of the 60k of RTS gamers brought into HR after it was made and the game was sold for $60, that's $60x60,000 = $3.6million
    If it cost aprox. $10 million to develop an RTS engine from scratch then it wouldn't be worth Ubers time to make a new engine.
    If they can re-use the PA engine with some heavy modifications to make a new game (which is what HR was anyway) they could save a lot of money, but probably not enought to make a game for under $3.6 million.

Keep in mind even if they could make a game for 3.6 million there would be almost no profit either, the game would barely pay for itself let alone generate revenue for Uber to develop other titles in the future.
    Last edited: July 20, 2016
    Nicb1, MrTBSC and tunsel11 like this.
  11. sarais

sarais New Member

What a shame. It was such an interesting concept. And again, it's freakin' cthulhu versus skynet; the RTS. That's some unique setting for an RTS. You don't see much Lovecraft influence
    Nicb1 likes this.
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I know I have the fattest fingers on this forum but for some reason this thread title annoys me enough every time I read it to post this. Plz halp @cwarner7264 @wpmarshall
  13. MrTBSC

it annoys you ever time ???

.... :p
  14. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

There you go, dear.
    Clopse and maxpowerz like this.
  15. maxpowerz

C'mon guys, Broken English and typos are an IN thing now aren't they...

All your base are the future of english :)

(I was going to make a picture meme with the "all your base are belong to us" picture, but i'm too lazy)

Edit..
    All your English are belong to us, would have been a good one too .....
    Last edited: July 21, 2016
  16. sarais

sarais New Member

Regardless. Maybe sometime in the future. I don't think we've seen the end of HR, nor C&C.
    Last edited: August 1, 2016