The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Climate scientists say we'll be seeing direct effects from climate change within decades to centuries. Having a substantial percentage of that period deviate from the data isn't something you can just hand wave like this is the syfy channel. Don't bullshit me on the scientific method, Devak.
    xankar likes this.
  2. mered4

Right, because you have a different opinion. Just the usual vitriol from Tatsu, I see.
    xankar likes this.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Huh? Glaciers shrinking, longer heatwaves, flowers blooming earlier, among many others are all direct effects from climate change that are happening now.

You can't be naive and argue that it's not happening. Whether it has to do with greenhouse gases or just the earths axis tilt I'm not 100% sure but I'd tend to agree and trust the scientists.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. Devak

Devak Post Master General

An opinion can't be wrong, that's why it's an opinion.

Can people also not pyramid quote? It's annoying getting notifications that i'm quoted, only to find out it's a 5-layer quote and it's not even tangentially related to what i (and others) have said.
  5. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

O
    Of course opinions can be wrong. You should be banned for such a clear lie. I'm serious about that. Please people stop polluting the forum don't imitate politicians.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. mered4

Saying someone is wrong without using facts or reasoning to back up your claim is just shitposting. It's why 4chan was invented.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Pot, meet kettle.
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Murrica politics thread, filled with savage posts since 2015.
    squishypon3, mered4, tatsujb and 7 others like this.
  9. mered4

You believe climate change is an immovable fact. That makes you blind as a bat, just like every other euro I know.
    /s

Dude, you aren't even trying. You aren't right and you're position isn't infallible. There's a reason I disagree, and it isn't because im a stupid American. That's just shortsighted and incredibly naive.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That brought me to this

Apparently it is a problem to some americans to have a photo id or something?
    Now I am confused. Around here you need to show your id, which has a photo, to be able to vote.
    Have Americans not a mandatory personal id kind of card that has a photo by default?
    It's like a requirement to being a living person here to have that kind of card. It costs like 20€ every so many years to renew it xD
  12. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Drivers licenses are our primary forms of ID. Many people in cities don't drive so they never get them.

This effects predominantly black and democratic areas, so there are accusations of racism and political shenanigans as a result of pushing for legislation that requires photo ID.
    stuart98, tatsujb and cola_colin like this.
  13. cola_colin

Interesting. "You need a drivers license to vote" is indeed kinda ridiculous to me.
  14. mered4

It's not about the driver's license imho.
    There are other forms of ID that don't have a prerequisite.

They aren't any more difficult to get than a driver's license, and it's just something everything has to go through. People complaining about the process are just ridiculous. Seriously, what do you do when someoene asks for your ID at a bar? *sorry I don't drive?* I bet they'll get an ID to buy vodka or cigs. But to vote? Lol.

Bottom line: Anyone I hear against the whole voter ID thing immediately goes on my "sketchy af" list, because the only legitimate and non-trivial reason to be against requiring IDs to vote is that you are participating or benefiting from voter fraud.

JO made some good points in his vid about documented voter fraud, but he isn't covering the people we don't catch. We really don't know, and it would be best for all parties (except the cheaters, ofc) to close as many loopholes as possible.
  15. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Still it's really weird an ID is not a requirement for all citizens in the US, like most countries in the EU.
    You guys have pretty invasive laws (patriot act) but you have no ID requirement is pretty weird to me.
    tatsujb and mered4 like this.
  16. mered4

It's super weird tbh, because we have all these other rights directly tied to an ID (guns, cigs, alcohol, medicinals, welfare) and these peeps are saying it shouldn't be required because it's inconvenient.
  17. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

You can go to your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicle) and get a non driver ID. This is your photo ID you would use. You can get one when your 14 in most states and they cost roughly 25$ with no renewal fee. Not that big of a deal.

Cars in the USA are a necessity to own so having a driver's license is the most convent to ask for. Actually, not owning a drivers license, even if its expired or suspended, basically means you are either a minor or an immigrant that came here illegally. In either case, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

As an American, having a driver's license is possibly one of the most important things to own. It is a requirement to show to most potential employers, since it indicates your ability to identified and show your ability to get to work. What's even more extreme is that many employers ask for insurance to see if you even own a vehicle to PROVE you can actually get to work.

Even in the extreme case where you can't afford a car, you should still have a license. There are other transportation options available like motorcycles and mopeds that require a license.

Seriously, if you can't get a license....... Well I'm sorry to hear about the severe misfortune. I will strap you to the back of my motorcycle and drive you to the DMV to get a non driver photo ID so you can vote.
  18. cola_colin

Interesting stance. I do have a license, but I last drove a car maybe 4 years or so ago and would be hesitant to operate one right now without preparation.
    Since then I worked for 3 years and now studied for nearly 2 years and I've never needed more than a bike. A car seems totally pointless to have to me. I have friends at university who do not have a drivers license at all for the same reason: No need for a car at all. Everything is reachable at worst by bus, usually by bike or even by foot. I walk to university and used my bike to get to work. The stores I buy food at are at the other side of the street.

Sure if you live on the country you probably need a car -that's why I have a license, my parents live on the country- but if you live in a city? Unusual.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  19. cola_colin

Oh I am sure there is not a single person on the planet who would take a car to the store I walk to. Taking the car would involve basically starting the engine, leaving the parking area, return to the same parking area and stop the engine. :p
    I do think that having a car is very helpful on the countryside though. Sure you don't absolutely NEED it. But it makes things a lot easier. Going out to get groceries would be a real pain in the *** without a car, if the next store is 10km away. Sure you can do that with a bike, but that'll cost a lot of time each day. In cities a car won't even save you time in many situations, as I described.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I don't really think that's true at all... I've lived in many European countries as well as the US- The difference isn't people can't ride bikes here, it's the distance needing to be traveled in the US is much larger. Most European countries are built rather close and squished together.
    mered4 likes this.