Games!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, March 4, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Don't you just LOVE old game install sizes? I remember when I had an 800mb hdd being shocked at a game so ridiculously large that it needed over 200mb of hdd space haha.

Now we're in the age where Star Citizen is predicting the final install will be north of 200GB :p
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  3. tatsujb

I feel ya. :rolleyes:
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Capture.JPG

:D
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Mine's literally a tenth of that.
  6. Geers

>Sees giveaway for Burnout Paradise
    >Furiously decodes key (anti-bot measure) and stuffs it into Steam
    >Steam takes forever to "activate product"
    >Steam gives up
    >Finds out key's been taken after 10 minutes of ficking about trying to get it to work
    >Jumps out window.
  7. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Eh, it's not that fun of a game. If you really love racing games then I guess it might be worth it but I don't find much going for it beyond its free-roam (although the free-roam is pretty linear).
  8. Geers

So Burnout is ****? Because NFSMW 2012 is ****.
  9. Geers

Looks meh.

No cockpit view

Handling can't decide whether it's sim or arcade.

Police chases are the most incredibly unexciting things ever.

No car customization. UPGRADES ARE NOT CUSTOMIZATION.

Getting caught by the cops results in basically no penalty besides losing a few of those supposedly precious points even though I overtook the 10th guy on the Most Wanted list just by driving around and doing like 1 race.

You unlock cars just by finding them meaning you have ZERO sense of progression.

DLC cars are placed in the world to find EXACTLY like normal cars except when you drive up to them it asks you to go the store.

Whenever you crash you have to sit through that stupid flucking cutscene that goes "OH NOES U CRASHD!"

Soundtrack sucks stale pea-soup arsejuice.

You can't have a custom soundtrack. Flucking MGSV A THIRD PERSON OPEN WORLD SHOOTER let you do that.

The opening cutscene was unskippable. Which I wouldn't have cared about too much if that intro video wasn't so boring I spent the entire thing swearing at the esc key for not working.

The tutorial is one of those really shitty ones that doesn't let you do anything until the nice lady has finished talking.

Here's why the 2005 version was good:

They chose the title "Most Wanted" because it was central to the entire game, not just some list to give you a vague semblance of a goal.

The police chases were flucking EPIC with car destruction, slow-mo roadblock smashing, spikestrips, helicopters, police sports cars, and all kinds of crazy ****.

There was stuff in the environment that you could knock over like giant donuts to help you shake off the cops.

There was actual car customization. You could have YOUR car, not just A car.

The game had money in it. You could make money, get better cars and upgrades, then make more money. ie A SENSE OF PROGRESSION.

Whenever you beat one of the Most Wanted drivers you got the choose 2/3 tokens which could unlock special upgrades, get-out-of-jail-free cards, or even that driver's car which had unique decals and stuff.

When you got caught by the cops it was actually a bad thing to happen. You lost money, you got a strike on the car you were using, and if you got 3 strikes your car was TAKEN AWAY! Whoa! STAKES!

The game was an arcade racer and knew it. The cars were fun to drive, and there was a slow-mo button for that split-second shift in direction to avoid spikestrips.

Now I'm not entirely sure if this is a valid argument over MW2012 because I just haven't been paying attention but MW2005 had an actual STORY. There was a reason you wanted to beat all these drivers. There was a motivation to what you were doing. It wasn't just a case of rocking up in town and going "duhh I wanna bee da bestest racr heer".

CHECK

MATE.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  10. Geers

Wahh.
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. xankar

xankar Post Master General

"Am I still exist?"
  12. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

GameTrailers has closed down, they alerted their employees a few hours before doing so which seems like a **** move.
    45.jpg

It's honestly kind of sad to see them go. C'est la vie.
    Geers likes this.
  13. tehtrekd

Also, on the topic of that Content Patch video.
    Holy ****, good on Ubisot and Massive for adding the option to gimp the visuals for a higher framerate on the Division's console release.

That is quite literally one of the greatest things any game dev has done for the console demographic and the fact that it isn't common practice is insane. Hopefully other developers look at this and follow suit.
    Geers likes this.
  14. tatsujb

"It's the basis of about 60% of France's economy, people are stocking up on baguettes, you can't get a fukin crêpe anywhere!"

I died. x'D
    Geers likes this.
  15. Geers

tatsujb likes this.
  16. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

17. tehtrekd

The Wii suffered? Didn't it sell like a shitzillion units?

That aside, as much as I'm jealous those rich bastards with their fancy i7 hexa cores and GTX 980's I do agree that blind platform loyalty is a little bit dumb.
    Admittedly that's a bit hypocritical since I will never not buy whatever Nintendo puts out, but I wouldn't be enraged at Nintendo if they one day decided to port Legend of Zelda games to PC.

I'd be extremely confused, but not enraged.
  18. Geers

The Wii is the butt of 70% of all video game jokes. Plus plenty of AAA titles omit the Wii/WiiU because of its fairly weak hardware and its reputation of "the family-friendly console your toddlers play mario on".
  19. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Yeah, but both systems still have amazing games.

The issue is when they got them. Nintendo publicly admitted that it's the lack of strong first party titles that butchered the WiiUs release. I forget how quickly the Wii got good games, but it didn't need them because of an insanely good launch.
  20. tehtrekd

Last edited: February 16, 2016
    stuart98 likes this.