Ashes of the Singularity

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by cwarner7264, March 5, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well he is right in some respects.

I mean I'd take a good old match of FA over one of AOTS or PA Titans anyday of the week.
  2. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

The problem is that I have many old RTS games that I could play. Consisting of TA and its various mods, Age Of Mythology, Age of Empires 2, Supreme Commander, 0.a.d, Dawn Of War and etcetera.
    But I would like to see a new good RTS nontheless. Whilst TA Zero itself is good it is not debatable that the old TA engine is marred with issues that really get on my nerves for example the moment I would like to alt tab the game black screens and I can't get back in, or music not changing or muting when I adjust it in the settings. Also whilst TA Zero does have pretty good gameplay I see the claim that "it is superior in gameplay to all the recently released rts games" to be entirely subjective (Not saying its bad, but just that opinion may vary from person to person).

Well anyway I've gone offtopic, I am still really really wanting to see another good (According to what I like) and moddable RTS come out (PA is the only recent RTS that has kept my interest). Heck a TA 2 would be awesome as long as the user base is able to mod it (Hope they don't pull **** like supcom 2 moddability wise again).
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

From your post i can see that you never tried Zero. Zero adds a lot of comfort functions and is almost comparable with games like supcom. Sure there are still some limitations but if you would have tried it you would know what i am speaking about. For example: You cannot build infinite but you can build 100 units with one click. Also massing 1 unit type does not work in Zero... you will lose badly.

It is no claim it is just fact. No offense but how many games did you play? 2-3? Does not qualify you to judge Zero at all.
    REgarding the blackscreen problem. True, it is a bug with Win 8 and 10 (it works perfectly fine on my Win 7 machine). The TA modders are working on a solution though (there is a temporary trick somewhere on the forum too).
    I also understand that the music bug is annoying. I deactivate music in TA and use a mp3 player for ambient music.
    Last edited: November 28, 2015
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

So first you say that I can queue 100 units at a time, and then you follow by saying that you need a mix of units in order to win. So how is having a factory monospam going to be helpful again? Infinite build is being able to queue a set of units up and having them continue building in that order m8, not just having a single unit being monospammed out of a factory for forever.
  5. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

I see. Then Zero does not have that feature.
    I never used such a feature and i do not need it anyway. I am fast enough to build the stuff i need.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Tash, I can see you are a dedicated TA Spring fanboy. From my experience, TAZ and its counterparts are very, VERY complex games built to a specific audience. Ashes is the exact opposite at the moment. It's a game with little complexity with a little depth. I'm suspecting it will grow from here, but saying that TA:Z and its friends are the best RTS games ever and amen is super subjective. It's also far from the truth - they just have the most complex systems.
  7. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

Spring fanboy? ROFL. Do you even know what you are talking about? TA:Z has nothing to do with Spring. This also tells me that you never tried Zero. Why do people always talk about stuff they have no clue about?
    Yes you are right that is very subjective but the latest released games Grey Goo, AoA and Etherium are quite bad games. It is not even a matter of taste. They all are lacking in several aspects...

In my oppinion Starcraft Broodwar is the best game ever made (i played it for about 10 years). But in contrast to most guys around in the rts scene i am not focused on one type of rts. I am open for new stuff and try most rts games. AFTER i tried it i judge and decide for myself if i want continue playing it or not. But here are so many people claiming and assuming stuff it hurts.

IF you guys would have tried Zero and tell me it lacks in specific areas or you just do not like it in general... fine but without having a clue?...
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. tatsujb

I was waiting for this comment. I knew TA:Z wasn't Spring due to me knowing all 9 Spring extensions. Zero isn't one of them.

Also Ashes while not complex is currently objectively much harder to play then TA. (or even spring for that matter).
  9. mered4

Bullshit. It's mechanics are buggy, sure, but the game itself is much simpler with less unit types to muck about with.

Lol yeah you picked up on that. Look, try to be objective, will ya? This TA FLAVOR X IS BEST GAME EVAR ALL ELSE SUCK thing was old when tatsu stopped months ago. Stuart still does it tho.

We get it. Stop beating a dead horse.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Not trying to comment on what's better than what, just out of curiosity has there ever been a version of zero for the spring engine? As far as I'm aware spring supports everything ta does and adds more advanced features like seamless zoom, repeat orders (for everything not just factories), line commands, area commands and so on.

I personally think it really enhances the existing TA based mods and I can't see any major draw backs...?

@tatsujb 9 flavours of spring?! There's a few more than that haha. Many failed projects though, the EE mod (expand and exterminate) mod looked good for a while then kinda died out for example (although it's still technically possible to play these older mods you'd have to find a corresponding version of spring to go with them)...
  11. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

And you are doing it again. You are not even taking my comments into consideration. Who is the guy not being objective here? Not going to continue argueing with someone like you.

There are reasons behind it i guess.
    I guess the main problems are:
    1. Fog of War is horrible in Spring
    2. The seamless zoom is something the TA modders do not want

But i am no modder so i am not 100 % sure about the true reasons.
    Last edited: November 29, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. mered4

Lol. You didn't make comments or an argument - you just went down a rabbit hole of your own opinion for a paragraph and a half.

What exactly do you think being objective means? I don't understand your sentence there at all. I'm not even throwing my opinion into this.

No one here appreciates people who fail to consider opinions other than their own. Thanks.
  13. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

Your comments were based on false assumptions so what are YOU talking about?
    You think you are qualified to be the vox populi?
    Last edited: November 29, 2015
  14. tatsujb

It actually requires an inhumane amount of micro to play correctly. note I tacked on "objectively" up there. it wasn't without purpose. I did recognize the game is less complex. but less complexity doesn't necessarily equate to easier. in it's current unfinished state and with lack of any macro tools whatsoever. to be efficient in map control on a big map in ashes is mind-bogglingily hard.
  15. mered4

Micro to play correctly? What?
    Since when?

And yes, they've yet to add any significant macro tools, but it's still tons easier to pick up than TA:Z or Spring. I mean, there are only four unit types in T1 and T2, each filling the basic roles with no upgrades or sidegrades.

I remember when I tried playing ZeroK for the first time. Holy cow. I got wiped by some unit I'd never heard of while I tried spamming raider bots in the early game. I appreciate that complexity, but it makes the learning curve akin to a cliff.
  16. mered4

No one is, but I believe I can speak for common sense :)
  17. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

So you played TA:Zero already? Or how do you assume that TA:Z macro is harder?
    On the other hand easier does not mean something is better.
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. mered4

Neither is harder :)
  19. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

You are a master at dodging questions... I doubt you even know what TA:Zero is.
  20. mered4

I don't know the specifics because I haven't downloaded it or played it, but it looks like a player-modded version of the old TA with better features and balance etc from the original. Sorta like the FaF project.

And, like I said, neither side of the coin is harder. That's an irrelevant and useless metric. I'm referring to its ease of use and learning curve.