Kickstarter 2.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by DeathPhoenix2, October 3, 2015.

?

Would you like to see a Kickstarter 2.0 happen?

1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
  1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Aren't all of those from 2012/2013? Hardly a good measure for the present.

Other than HBS, who seem to have made Kickstarter their entire model, we won't see much coming from KS. Some, yes, but nothing like that brief gold rush period.
    stuart98, Bsport, cdrkf and 1 other person like this.
  2. DeathPhoenix2

DeathPhoenix2 New Member

I think it would! To me, it look like a good game. Having a campaign would make it totally Uber!
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

How about make a game that has the flat maps.
  4. Quitch

I guessed you napped through Human Resources.
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  5. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I can't get any of my friends to play planetary annihilation. I got them to buy it but none of them play it because they all say the sphere play sucks.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The sphere play is easy though :s
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  7. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Now with the Awsome Dx 12 unik game that all are talk about has the best RTS game released this last years like SCForged aliance series ,Ashes of singularity in a FLAT MAP and some others no one will care about the Big fail kickstarter

So i hope they will make new one so they can see players like me are right!!!!
  8. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Most people seem to be turned off the whole spherical play IMHO.
  9. DeathPhoenix2

DeathPhoenix2 New Member

I love the spherical play. It makes the game unique. If you want to trully make it like a flat map, it's much easier to use the Pole Lock camera. Locking your camera using this setting is making it much easier to know what is where.

I think that a spherical map makes it more realistic and challenging. Those are Uber scales combats! I love that :)
    Last edited: October 12, 2015
    squishypon3 and cdrkf like this.
  10. underscore1112

underscore1112 Member

i would buy in on a second kickstarter, if only to support a larger team that uber can put more resources into bug fixes and improvements to the UI. I would hope to see any second kickstarter as a gambit to get the game presentable to a larger audience. All the foundation is there... just want to see the quality of life go up for the PA player so they don't get scared off so easily by crashes and bugs and such.
    warrenkc likes this.
  11. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

No. Uber needs to develop a new IP and attract funding the old fashioned way. Kickstarter is half the reason every step Uber takes is shadowed by vehement trolls calling for blood. It makes for an incredibly entitled and difficult to please userbase and I think is ultimately toxic for game developers. Not to mention there isn't a chance in hell they'd manage to attract any level of significant crowd funding with the hate brigade at work.
    Alpha2546 and cdrkf like this.
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah they successfully strangled human resources :( what I would say though is uber do have some supporters left, the first 2 days of the hr campaign showed that.

Also, hr lacked the 'nostalgia' factor they had with PA. It's pretty much prerequisite for a successful gaming kickstarter as far as I can tell.
    philoscience and tunsel11 like this.
  13. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

Tbh, I wouldn't lay the blame of human resources failing on ks entirely on the butthurt trolls. I think it would have had a difficult time being funded in the first place. As you say with no nostalgia to work on it was a hard sell.
    wilhelmvx and cdrkf like this.
  14. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Perhaps I should have pitched in to Human Resources. It fell at a time where I couldn't fund it though...
  15. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

New IP is harder to sell on KS.
  16. halosas

halosas Member

I would only back Kickstarter 2 if the art style changed to look more like SUPREME COMMANDER. Most of my friends I show the game don't play just because of the look of it.
    warrenkc likes this.
  17. mwreynolds

For me supreme commander looks ugly compared to PA.

You can never please everyone.
    ace63, radongog, warrenkc and 2 others like this.
  18. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

I hate to be a wet blanket, but Stardock is releasing a mega RTS "Ashes of the Singularity". No kicksarter new game engine, and a steam early access. Steam users are already calling it "the successor to Supreme Commander".

warrenkc likes this.
  19. Quitch

Which is amusing given that Total Annihilation is referenced more in their materials.
    radongog and stuart98 like this.
  20. mwreynolds

Currently Ashes of the Singularity looks a bit slow and dull to me, but since it's only just gone into early access it worth keeping a eye on.
    stuart98 likes this.