Star Wars BattleANTICLIMAX

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, April 17, 2015.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I sucked for most of last night because scope-fire is ingrained in my mind and physical reflexes. Took a few rounds to get out of using a scope for everything. Kill count started to increase towards the end.

Team autobalance on Pod Defense (whatever the game mode is called) is a bit terrible though. Went an entire five Pods / complete round on a side of 6 vs. 8. Really made a difference against us.
  2. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

There's a bunch of stuff copied directly from the old games such as the fighter evasive maneuvers and some of the hero animations.
  3. Gorbles

I'm a) going to need a source, and b) probably going to need to educate the thread on how not to use the phrase "copied directly" wrong ;)
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I'd love to know how they managed to do that considering BFII is close to a decade old and exists on a completely different engine.

There's a really neat detail in the Pod Defence mode. See the badass spaceships battling overhead? The outcome of that battle is dependent on the scores in the actual match:

Here's the Empire winning:

[​IMG]

Here's the Rebellion winning:

[​IMG]
    websterx01 and cdrkf like this.
  5. poiuasd

No need to be a smart *** about it I'm sure you know what I mean by that.
  6. Gorbles

No, because in any world of interpretation you're still wrong. Even if the animations sync up very well, the animations are still brand-new, and will have been done on newly-rigged skeletons tuned to new meshes. You can't just export animations from such an old game (pre-Havok physics) and expect the data to merge well into new tech. Computer animation literally doesn't work like that.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wait what?

we aren't supposed to scope?
  8. Gorbles

Going into scope does not in any way improve your accuracy, and I'm pretty sure looking through the scope means you aren't targeting accurately either. The gunplay is designed for you to shoot "from the hip" more, a bit like the older Battlefront games.
  9. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Have you ever played a battlefront? You never have to except for extreme ranges.

I should play some dirty bomb to further decrease my need to scope in. I've been compensating in SWB by staying at range, but that's not always possible....especially in echo base.

Speaking of echo base, I plopped down a blaster cannon twenty feet down a hallway covering one of the smaller doorways. I believe I got 10+ kills in a few seconds. They kept trying to nade me and fail hilariously. I was finally killed when they overran the main entrance and assassinated me from behind.

That was fun ;D
    cdrkf and Gorbles like this.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

i had but on my brother's PC and I don't think at the time i'd been formatted by crysis/ COD/ BF into scoping. thanks for the reminder :p
    mered4 likes this.
  11. Geers

Not really no.
  12. Gorbles

I think when I get around to buying the full game, I'm going to need a few days of practise in BF2 first. I've been doing a lot of TF2 and Mass Effect and it's completely made me reliant on scoping mechanics. Been too long since I did any serious Battlefront-ing.
    mered4 likes this.
  13. mered4

I prefer walker assault to sullust - the teams are more balanced and the rebels usually lose like they are supposed to. Though I did have the privilege of fighting for a victorious rebel team....once.

We got like 8 bombers per run. Then half our team grabbed rockets or turrets and lambasted the walkers. Rinse and repeat. :D
  14. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I hope it will have more vehicles and larger maps/more players. That's my number one thing.
    mered4 likes this.
  15. Geers

My theory is everyone on the Rebel team is subconsciously losing on purpose because the Empire kicked their *** in the movie.
    cdrkf and mered4 like this.
  16. poiuasd

If only. Following HUD icons that tell you exactly what to do is too hard for your average gamer these days, as proven by every objective based shooter.
    Geers and cdrkf like this.
  17. mered4

Actually, people tend to play the objective from what I've seen.

However, lots of people throw power ups on uplinks. Like, for example, orbital strikes and the omnipresent implosion grenade.

They may not be taking it, but no one else is either.....:D

By the way, has anyone else had a laugh after both you and your enemy activated the power shield and had a staring contest?
  18. mered4

I've also found that a lot of players don't know how to damage the ATATs properly. I find lots of people shooting at them with small arms -which do basically no damage- when they should be running to the nearest turret.
  19. poiuasd

Melee/thermal detonators/cycler rifle goes through the shield.
  20. mered4

Yes, but you can only use melee at ten meters over a flat plain. Staring while performing a jump dance is usually the preferred method :D