Star Wars BattleANTICLIMAX

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, April 17, 2015.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I can already smell the inevitable gameplay this or that flamewars. LET IT BEGIN.

I'll be trying it later tonight I think
  2. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

@Gorbles Looks pretty good. I feel like they should adjust the textures though, the close ones seem a lot like plastic. The shadows in the second one made the top half of it look like a picture of the Grand Canyon! Not a fan of the UI though. I feel like it should be a bit more unified, even as minimal as it is.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

The screenshots actually come out rather flat; the lighting is genuinely far better when you're actively playing the game. I've recorded some video but it'll prolly be the weekend before I can upload half of it (3.75GB raw happens when you forget to turn off ShadowPlay for five waves).

Got the screenshots from recording it, viewing the video and print-screening that. My only bloody complaint with Origin over Steam :p

I can see the UI complaints - flat UI is very "in" at the moment so I'm not going to complain (part of my job is frontend development, and flat UI is a vast improvement on the bubble UI of the '00s), but I can definitely see how people would feel it's too flat.
    Geers likes this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Oh dear god no, if you play it.. The textures are GORGEOUS, like I mean amazing.

I myself am having issues though... Can't connect to EA servers, yet it says I'm connected. *sighs* this kind of stuff always comes up for me.
  5. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Just played it, my thoughts;

Audio is fantastic
    Don't like unlock system
    KOTH Pod mode is totally forgettable and dull.
  6. squishypon3

Don't forget the wonderful shooting and movement mechanics. <3
  7. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

I still prefer it over the Hoth mission. I kinda understand having terrible mouse controls for vehicles etc. at this point but the overall balance of that map should've never made it past internal testing.
    wpmarshall likes this.
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I actually hate the Hoth map. I tend get less than 10 kills there, compared to my usual 30-40 on Sullust.

I mostly hate it because the long range combat is terrible and the vehicles are mediocre/boring. It really needs a bit of Halo style vehicle combat to spice it up imo.
  9. squishypon3

I disagree on the long range combat bit, I think it's great, maybe you just need a bit more practice with it?

(Das me)

The only thing bad about the map is the balance for the Rebel side, there aren't enough ways to really damage the walkers. Also I agree on the vehicle point, we need to see these on the rebel side or something! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Imo it's a lot more fun than the KOTH map, as it's so much more dynamic and you feel like you're in a real battle.. You feel like you have a purpose. In no battlefield have I felt I had a real purpose. Nor do I in the KoTH map.
  10. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I like the unlock mode. It's similar to how Black Ops did it. With a credits system you don't need to unlock a ton of useless crap to get the one thing you DO want.
  11. Gorbles

I'm quite happy with the unlock system, you seem to accrue levels and ingame credits pretty easily. I managed with it in BF3 and I'm sure I'll manage here.

Certainly, beats the limited-slot extra-points cost classes in Battlefront 2 (sorry to anyone I may enrage). Hated people nicking off with the three Clone Commander slots and feeding them to the enemy at 4 reinforcement points apiece.
  12. killerkiwijuice

Well I'm good at longe range combat but I don't think it's fun. Maybe that's because there's only one proper sniper though.

Also power ups make it feel like an arcade game.
  13. Geers

That's the point?
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I played a bit but I'm getting my *** handed to me.

other than that the gameply is (lemme stress this) IN-DEN-TI-CAL to the previous battlefront. I'm starting to debate internally how much of the old engine and assets were reused.
  15. Geers

16. Geers

U wot m8? I have absolutely no idea how you could call it identical. It's REALLY not.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  17. Gorbles

The gameplay is similar, yup. There are some key differences but the gunplay is rather similar (sorry Geers).

I have no idea how this relates to the engine and ingame assets, though.
  18. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I regularly get a 3.0 KDR with at least 20 kills per match on Hoth. Sullust is around 15 kills and a 2 KDR. Maybe you should try flanking?

I do love mowing down three guys with a smart rocket, then running into the back of Echo Base with Darth Vader. Best times ever. They don't notice me until Vader is mowing them down, and if he misses, I don't. Quite amusing TBH. :D

And yes, the gunplay is quite similar to the old battlefront with half the cheese :D
  19. killerkiwijuice

I don't find it anywhere near as appealing as Battlefront 2.
  20. Geers

Similar absolutely. But he said it was "identical". Well, "indentical". Whatever the hell that means :p.

Get gud.

2015-10-08_00029.jpg
    2015-10-09_00011.jpg
    2015-10-09_00022.jpg
    2015-10-09_00043.jpg