Planetary Teleport Crashes my Game client

Discussion in 'Support!' started by courtgesture, September 2, 2015.

1. courtgesture

courtgesture New Member

Hey all,
    I am loving the simple destruction i can cause with an army of support commanders. The ideal solution to get from one planet to the next is teleporters.
    Unfortunately, unless i am very careful, for some reason this action causes my game client to crash.
    If i move a single support commander through. no issue. up to a group of 3, no problems.
    I move a group of 5, i find 2 get stuck and confused, and dont move through, as they have all tried to mash through at once.
    if i tell a whole army (10-50+) to use the tele, almost immediately the game client will crash. i have tried waiting for 5 mins. no avail. it does not respond.

Has anyone else had this issue? Otherwise my system has no problems with any thing large scale, so i cant figure why this would be an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    CourtGesture
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I can reproduce some of the Colonels getting stuck:
    colonels_1.jpg colonels_2.jpg colonels_3.jpg colonels_4.jpg
    There are 34 of them and in the last screen shot you can see that five of them got stuck. So that's a pathfinding bug.

But I don't get a crash and I've sent them back and forth at least eight times. What do you mean by crash by the way? Do you get the "this program is not responding" message from your OS? Or can you still move around the planet and it's just the units that are not moving anymore? Or does PA simply quit on its own?
  3. courtgesture

courtgesture New Member

Yes, i figured the pathing was just an oddity, but thought it worth a mention.
    But yes, when i say crash, the game is not responding. I cannot interact with the game in any way. eventually yes, Windows reports that the application is not responding. Choosing to wait does not seem to avail me anything.
  4. DeathByDenim

Could you post a PA log from a session where PA gets stuck? You can find those here "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log". You can just copy-paste that in the address bar of Explorer.

Could you also post a DxDiag.txt? You can make one by pressing <WinKey>+R, typing "dxdiag", and pressing "Save All Information...".

You can use the "Upload a File" button on this forum to post them, as there is a character limit for posts.
  5. courtgesture

courtgesture New Member

Attached as requested.
    Thank you for your assistance :)

Attached Files:

6. DeathByDenim

From your DxDiag.txt, I see that Steam itself hangs a lot too, is that correct?
    You may want to start with checking your system files. Windows provides a tool for that called SFC. Instructions are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

And from you PA log, I see that's from a Galactic War. Do you have any Techs that alter the movement of bots? Like a 50% speed boost or something?
  7. courtgesture

courtgesture New Member

To the Best of my knowledge, no, Steam has not been causing me any problems. i have not seen it hang. but as a result of the game crashing i have been terminating steam to kill the game, as it claims to still be running. I have since found the process i need and am no longer doing that. I will run an SFC as you suggest and let you know the results.

I don't believe that i have any speed tech running. will look shortly.

Cheers,
    Court
  8. courtgesture

courtgesture New Member

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

So yeah. No errors there. Didn't expect too. recently upgraded to Win 10.
    Also, the only "Speed" related tech i have in Galactic War is one that affect Air unit speed by 25%. not even using that at present. as i haven't got Complete air tech yet.
  9. DeathByDenim

Yeah, it was worth a check though as upgrades sometimes don't work so well.
    Another question: If you try to do the same thing in an AI Skirmish match, do you manage to get the hang as well? You can set your resource modifier to 5.0 for faster building. How often do you get it by the way?
  10. courtgesture

courtgesture New Member

In that particulare Galactic War? it happened every time i use the Tele. Even in different maps/star systems. I can save a game just before I attempt to use a teleporter, and replicate it time after time. I can now confirm that it also occurs in a skirmish.

When i next get a chance, i will try teleporting something OTHER than Colonel's, enmasse.
  11. DeathByDenim

Hmm, sounds like a bug in PA then... I wonder if it's specific to your PC or to Win10. I only tested it on the Linux client.

@cdrkf : You have Windows (10?) right? Can you give this a try?
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Sorry I'm still on Windows 7.
  13. DeathByDenim

14. courtgesture

courtgesture New Member

Cheers. I will Give the PTE a go tonight and report back.
  15. courtgesture

courtgesture New Member

Good news. PTE testing so far seems to have resolved the issue. So next patch will see me sorted i hope :D
    Thanks for your assistance @DeathByDenim
    DeathByDenim likes this.