Noob looking for advice/ leasons

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by chiller99999135, August 4, 2015.

1. chiller99999135

chiller99999135 New Member

So I've owned pa for a while now and I've game the concept is awesome but I'm just not good at the game and I want to get better soon here looking for advice.

Thanks for your time
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I'd say always use the Chronocam to review the game you just lost and see what they did to win. Also install the PA Stats mod, which brings with it PA Chat, which is a global chat lobby where you are likely to find people willing to have a training session with you. (Mod installing goes through PAMM.)
  3. jables

jables Uber Employee

ArchieBuld likes this.
  4. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

add me ingame name is gandaif yes with an i, i capitalized it to look like gandalf since someone took my tag
    stuart98, elodea and ArchieBuld like this.
  5. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

"This is the night b****es die"
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. Greendolph

Greendolph Active Member

Scrub here to tell you how to play the game :)
    PA is all about going faster, harder, deeper, (snow)ballin'er than your enemies.
    Bootstrap, harass, expand, observe, counter.
    Bootstrapping: You start at the bottom and gotta pull yourself to the top mate. The more you make than your enemy the more you can make than your enemy.
    Harass: You gotta use dat make, son. If you is leaving your army in your base thinking "I'm gonna go out with this huge force and wreck them" then by the time you attack bam *MINES* son, and your enemy has all the metal, and T2, and has pushed their com with a line of factories up your doorstep.
    Expand: Natural expansions are a myth. "My mex / their mex" is a myth. Every metal is yours and your enemy is stealing it. Claim what is yours. All game long. Don't expand at the start and then focus on battle. Expand all game long.
    Observe: Build radar. Build lots of radar. They are cheap and super effective. This will allow you to never be surprised and position your units to maximum effect.
    Build air scouts. They are OP.
    Never build a land army without land scouts. They are cheap af. They can see mines. They give extra vision which will allow you to see your enemies composition early and know weather to kite or to push. (Know weather to kite or to push, experiment with different compositions in single player or with a friend)
    Counter: experiment in single player against good bots (I recommend the queller AI mod). Learn what counters what. Learn how to adjust your builds quickly to counter your enemies. Know what different build orders can do. Heavy bot openings for example can go mass dox for harass and area control, mass grens for countering tanks, and boom bots for taking down exposed commanders moments after spotting them. If your enemy is mass dox you need a counter to that - that counter can be air, naider+ant armies, T1 turrets..
    If your enemy has a massive air force set 1 or 2 ground factories producing spinners and scouts and planet patrolling. This will give you the vision they have as the air player and make it impossible for them to move their air out without taking damage (but can cost a lot of metal - 2 factories can add up very quickly, but could potential negate 7 or 8 air facs depending on other game factors).
    If your enemy is not building any air, don't build spinners.

Watch high level games - particularly ones that have some back and forth - to learn good counters.

Good luck, and enjoy the best game in the world :)

EDIT: Think of EVERYTHING in terms of opportunity cost. "What else could I have done with this metal? Would it have been more effective?" Sometimes for the cost of a T2 factory you could've won the game.

EDIT 2:
    pa-db.com
    http://exodusesports.com/guides/the-planetary-annihilation-pyramid/
    http://exodusesports.com/guides/planetary-annihilation-strategy-guide/

PA Mod Manager:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pa-mod-manager-pamm-cross-platform.59992/
    Last edited: August 11, 2015
    stuart98 and dom314 like this.