windows 10

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, July 30, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The best console is a pc! (sorry had to :p).

As for Linux, distros like ubuntu have made it really easy to use for basic tasks, to the point i've dual booted several friends machines who were repeatedly picking up web viruses on Windows (in defence of Windows they were the cause by trying to get things for nothing whilst not having a clue what they're doing). They didn't have issue using it.

Where Linux falls down is there are too many cases where gui tools haven't been implemented when you get to complex / sysadmin type tasks, which as a very experienced Windows user is frustrating. I mean using the console is easy enough (i started out with a 286 on dos ), however the downside to text based commands has always been the issue you have to know the command in order to use it whereas gui systems make it possible to find solutions with just a good base knowledge of a task, in Linux you have to consult documentation or a guide first.

Things natively ported work well in my experience (i get same performance in PA between Linux and Windows for example). The software catalogue is also decidedly better than it was.

Windows is still a necessity though if you want access to everything.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

true, but i think it can be better.

From the context of linux, Apple and Windows, i thought it was clear that this is about PC's. But yes i was excluding servers and phones. Especially since servers, by my previous definition, fall under special cases. And doesn't android use some linux kernel or something? It gets complicated real fast that way. So yes, pc only.

popular games isn't all games. steam isn't all games. Linux support is becoming more commonplace but it's more often than not an extra feature.

For the sake of keeping it to windows 10, that's all i will say on the matter.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'm sorry but so long as you continue to use the wrong terminology, you'll keep hitting yourself.

no it isn't. linux is. being run on a server doesn't remove from it's appellation, which is : desktop OS.
    which games?
    to my utmost pleasure, I might add. But at least I can recognize that I am.
  4. tatsujb

android is a linux build. plain and simple. you could run a couple sudo apt-get commands on it and have a unity or any other linux flavor desktop on it if you so desired.

It, of course has elements switched out to be able to work with an ARM processor architecture rather than an i386 one.
    no.

if all the games YOU personally play are supported native on linux, then doesn't that argument go out the window?

added to that there's the fact that this is a phenomenon with wild growth right now. it's getting better and better and not stopping.
    Last edited: August 1, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I could see Linux becoming the OS of choice for gamers if Valve continue their push and get Steam Machines off the ground (as it would become a first class citizen in terms of development target, rather than a nice 'extra' that it is now). I mean when you're spending lots of money on a games machine, the last thing you want to do is reduce your budget by £80 to get a copy of Windows.
    tracert likes this.
  6. tatsujb

wich explains why windows is now free.

seriously praise lord gaben, without him linux gaming would be nothing like what it is.

did you know the vulkan api was a valve initiative?
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

windows is best for pc

if you use a mac, I would recommend iOS tho
  8. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I've encountered my first issues with Microsoft Edge.

The lack of adblock+ support slows down several important sites that I go to significantly. Most importantly Bulbapedia. For most sites I've been leaning towards preferring Edge, but this might be a deal breaker for now.
  9. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Same. If someone gets an adblocker going for edge (thats free, and undoubtedly they will) I may migrate over from chrome.

Oh and on my laptop it took 13 hours to download win 10. No this is not an exaggeration.

When I downloaded the iso later on the desktop it took only 4 hours.
  10. tatsujb

guys before you go on a rant, have you tried adding fanboy's tpl?

http://fanboy.co.nz/ie.html

(which is, btw, what made adblock+ really work, so if you have it you essentially have adblock+)
  11. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

From what I understand this is for ie9 not edge which is completely different. May have missed something as I just took a quick look at it.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Which really isn't the programs fault, hopefully we can get some extention support/ adblock.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Double post, but this seems promising?

http://winaero.com/blog/block-ads-in-microsoft-edge-browser-project-spartan/
  14. tatsujb

it's not supposed to work with ie 10 or 11 yet it does. it's just a tpl.

tpl is a text file

even if the hotlink doesn't work you can always copy paste the actual content into edge's list file.
  15. tatsujb

no because you don't wanna be using microsoft's own blocker because it will be a preferential type blocker not an integral blocker. microsoft will obviously have it's own personal interests added to deals cut with this or that person.

as I said the list fanboy created is and has been the norm of adblocking that everyone serious bases their blocker off of.

as you can see he also has a tracker blocker list as well. And these two lists are always the most up to date. With that your protection is complete.
  16. arseface

I have no idea how to add this to Edge.
  17. tatsujb

you click on view then google "edge tpl"
  18. arseface

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I'll get right on it.

/sarcasm
    tunsel11 likes this.
  19. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

In October Windows 10 shall be getting major updates and making the OS more for customers, so if you're doubting Windows 10, wait until the update is released in October.

Windows 10 was always going to be function complete in October, but waiting until October would miss out a "Back to School" promo and fighting iOS 9 which is being released in September.

The current build you have is Windows 10 build 10240, which was the most stable Insider Preview available when Microsoft had to deliver the "RTM" version (release to manufacturing).

After October we'll continue to receive new content and features, as Windows is no longer a product but a service - WaaS: Windows as a Service.

Next to monthly improvements we'll see annual big innovations which would normally be Windows 11, 12 in Steve Ballmer's Microsoft, but with Satya Nadella's WaaS it'll be free upgrades to Windows 10.
  20. tatsujb

I copy-pasted this from DRjbhl on the AOTS forum :

"
    The first and worst? From MS’s Privacy Policy Statement:

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to […] protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.”

This (to me) says my computer now belongs to them. Sorry, this is completely unacceptable.

The second? Cortana:

“To enable Cortana to provide personalised experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device. Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lockscreen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more.”

Cortana will also collect your speech data, to “improve” speech recognition. Shades of the Barbie Doll. So, when does your own private MS spy stop “listening”? Does it ever?

Third: Your browser (sorry – their browser): When you sign in to W10 with an MS account, the OS will automatically sync

“some of your settings and data with Microsoft servers”. This includes “web browser history, favorites, and websites you have open” in addition to “saved app, website, mobile hotspot, and Wi-Fi network names and passwords”.

This you can change…there is a way to deactivate that in your MS account settings>”Sync your settings”. That should be set to a negative as the default, not the opposite as MS has done.

Fourth: Advertisers can use your data to send you targeted ads. To me, this is Superfish all over again. You can turn this off in Settings|Privacy and flick the first switch to “off”.

“The ads we select may be based on your current location, search query, or the content you are viewing. Other ads are targeted based on your likely interests or other information that we learn about you over time using demographic data, search queries, interests and favorites, usage data, and location data.”

Lastly (and perhaps worst of all): Your encryption key is automatically sent to your OneDrive account.

So, if OneDrive is ever breached, you’re screwed. Why? Because with device encryption turned on, Windows will automatically encrypt your drive and generate a BitLocker recovery key. This key is backed up, again automatically, onto your Microsoft OneDrive account. If someone changes your data are unrecoverable creating the ransomeware situation.

Don’t you think someone should be asking your permission to do these things? Also, I don’t know about you, but I’m not the property of some corporation, and neither is my computer.

No W10 for me, thanks very much.

Source:

http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/micr...dows-10-privacy-issues-you-should-be-aware-of"​