Give Linus a call see if he's down for hosting some PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, May 29, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

This guys really doesn't know what to do with his spare time or his money or his horsepower. All of which he has unfathomable amounts of.

Anyone down for convincing him to host a PA game, see if his godrig is any different?

I mean for christ's sake he thinks this build is purport to video rendering.
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    zihuatanejo, FSN1977 and cwarner7264 like this.
  2. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I bet he can render at stupidly fast speed at least. Jeez. I like the baby Noctua heatsinks though.

Edit: theyre actually slow cores along side mediocre RAM. And you also know he's a computer guy because there is barely enough room to stand. I'm shocked he isnt building it on boxes.

I spoke far too soon.
    zihuatanejo and stuart98 like this.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

This is actually a really good idea. Instead of just saying "can you host", make it a challenge.

How many players can he support without dropping the sim speed significantly?
  4. Greendolph

Greendolph Active Member

fixed :)
    klavohunter and stuart98 like this.
  5. tatsujb

x'D yeah. Linus vids are tough to watch.

this core can easily be overclocked. And I recon it can be overclocked alot with the current low temps and voltages it's running at.

6. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Eh, easily overclocked and substantially overclocked are very different. Even with the tiny amount of voltages running through that, 18 cores will get hot fast. For 24/7 use, you might not see the high temps, but you'll really notice when stress testing. What would be cool though is to disable like 9 (just going with half for simplicity) and then overclocking it. These are already likely very high binned chips, and dropping the thermal potential in half could go a long way. As it is now, I'd bet you need some serious water cooling (not AiO; a custom loop) to get this up above 4GHz for 24/7 (turbo is only good if it stays there).

PA being the weirdly optimized game that it is, being optimized for many threads, but the sim is only on one, really would do best on a dual 4 core set up I think. you'll get the high speeds required to run the sim well, and the number of threads available to not stall out anything else.
  7. tatsujb

the way I see it this chip is a potential champ at overclocking. low starting temps is already a plus but with low voltage it means you'll only ever increment voltage a tad if at all to attain higher clocks, and as you well put it you could easily tone it down to nine which is STILL an insane 18 threads but then it's like IMPOSSIBLE to overheat it. And Linus aint exactly short on top-of-the-line cooling anyhow, he even has liquid nitrogen (as I recall).

Seriously though, someone down for hitting him up?

I don't know what angle to hit him at and I'm not exactly a diplomat so I don't think I'm appropriate for the job....
  8. tatsujb

are you kidding? I'm surprised he isn't using them as table stabilizers by now.

the fact he's okay with wagering the life of two 4500$ cpus a the server board capable of running them by removing the metal motherboard cpu clips and holding the cpus down with the pull of the heatsinks tied with zip ties ....common now!!!!

he kinda looks surprised at the end when it doesn't post. I know I wasn't.

heck by now I more than expect his next video to be announcing us the sad news of the death of one or more 2699's possibly also a motherboard.
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Diplomatically speaking, usually guys like this get numbers of posts and it interests them. He has a youtube, no? Post comments in recent videos, send him a message through his about me section of his youtube channel. A few hundred messages of redundancy, he might see what the hubbub is about.

Has he done one of these on SupCom?
    tatsujb likes this.
  10. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Dear God... the fractals I could render with that thing...
    xankar likes this.
  11. tatsujb

hell no. This guy doesn't game much to boot. the way I see it, in the life of a gamer it's COD -> lol -> (if you keep going) RTS -> RTSSP (^=^). Linus isn't even able to COD. so why expect him to even have heard of SupCom.

No his thing is just having a lot of money and liking hardware, but it's never too late to convert a man ! : D
  12. tatsujb

see that would be a better use of that machine already. Anything but the dust-accumulation he currently has in mind, please dear GOD.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  13. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Too much overkill
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  14. tatsujb

I posted my comments on both of his vids, your turn guys.
  15. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Suddenly, the SETI@Home project came to an end as all known data was processed overnight...
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  16. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

He's actually going to use the server as a rendering box for his video product team, so people can send completed projects to the server to be rendered.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  17. tatsujb

I know that I said that in the OP. That's basically accumulating dust for this machine. they aren't exactly producing (nor processing) a terabyte of video a day.
  18. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I doubt video rendering, which is a vague term anyway, would utilise the two GPUs anyway.

Whereas when I finally implement support for CUDA/OpenCL, i could definitely take advantage of two Titan Xs....! :D
  19. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

They are producing video for 3/4 different channels now, ever tried rendering 4k aftereffects footage or transcoding 4k video to different format? that stuff takes incredible amounts of processing power. he just built a 100TB storage server 4k eats hdd space for breakfast.
  20. tatsujb

Dude if you tried making and uploading your own vids you know it doesn't.

and if you're encoding to some stupid heavy format, you're wasting your time anyways because youtube re-encodes it to h.246 if it isn't in that format already.

so if you're encoding to h.246 a codec that is hard coded to most modern cpus anyways this is something that you'll have over with in a 1 - 1 ratio video time - encoding time and why the hell would you be recording in anything other in the first place.

Listen man there is just NO AMOUNT OF VIDEO that would ever warrant this machine. and a puny 3-4 channels is something MY machine could handle.
  21. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member