[REL] Battleship

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by elodea, April 10, 2015.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

@Diaboy made an excellent buildable missile model if you want to talk to him about getting a better model than the air scout for the kamikaze plane.
    [​IMG]
    elodea and tesseracta like this.
  2. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

That's a cool design for a missile because it looks as though the missile is activated when that red glowing thingy is pushed into that device to make the missile explode
  3. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Shouldn't you change the description of the kraken in the op?
  4. elodea

elodea Post Master General

yes i should :)

As a testament to how scatterbrained I am,

Changelog 2.2.1
    Bugfixes
    • Pelters can now shoot stuff
    • Teleporters cannot be built on land to glitch ships to any location
    • Combat fab can no longer move over land
    • Depth charges now shoot in a proper arc
    • Astreus can actually transport everything now
    • Dummy weapon added to sonar to show ranges
    • Fix for frigate weapon not doing damage in some cases
    stuart98, Clopse and cwarner7264 like this.
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Can't wait to find more bugs later. :p. Have you tried astreus a ship on land?
  6. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

The dummy weapon for the advanced sonar isn't exactly a "dummy"
  7. elodea

LOL. well looks like rate of fire = 0 does not mean what i thought it meant.
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. elodea

Changelog 2.2.2
    fix for adv sonar shooting infinite torpedoes everywhere
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

why u fix
    killerkiwijuice, stuart98 and elodea like this.
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Yeah dummy weapons are no damage no model no trail fx.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

[​IMG]
  12. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Isn't it great that, if we don't like the balance of this game for whatever reason - we can make a mod and change things? :) One of the main reasons I backed this game in the first place - mods!
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. elodea

yea it is great! Though I didn't make battleship for the reason of balance. For example, by no means am i suggesting that uber add a giant orbital battleship that drops deathbombs haha.

This is just a minimod that has a slightly different, more involved naval gameplay. I've always loved ships and naval battles and have tried to make it a more fun experience. There is alot more play/counter-play potential here, and that's all i wanted to achieve :).
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  14. elodea

Hey that's pretty unfair.

to the people who play the mod. I don't even test it in production, they do
    stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  15. zihuatanejo

Thanks for clarifying! I'm perfectly happy with Uber's balance, but i like that people have gone for 'total balance conversion' mods like RCBM and Statera (?), and others have just done silly, fun, small-scale kind of things like boom bot wars, dox4lyfe, etc. And your mod which is sort of in the middle somewhere i guess! I must play it soon ;)

What is it about naval battles that you think allows for more counter-play?
  16. elodea

Yea exactly, its not that I think there is anything 'unbalanced' about vanilla naval, it's just perhaps not so engaging.

With the counterplay, in vanilla naval battles there is not much of it. The equilibrium comes down to adv torpedoes to kill kraken and t1 sub, frigate and flak to kill air, battleship to wreck everything else, and holkin to finish the game. A golden composition that doesn't change, with players not really responding to each other as much as they are following a build order. Might as well be playing singleplayer.

In battleship mod, i aimed to make alot more player interaction both on the micro and macro layer.

On micro layer, everything has a 'counter', and everything 'counters' something else. There is no golden unit composition that you can do blindly. The players are responding to each other alot which I hope ends up creating very dynamic games that 'evolve' quickly to stay fresh. Partly the idea of perfect imbalance

There is also some good micro potential to give the feeling of always having something to engage yourself in. Never should be any feeling of "well im going to sit back now because there's nothing else i can do to change an outcome". But at the same time you can definitely still do one move order and it will be quite effective if you have build a correct unit composition. Also if you micro too much, you will definintely lose out on macro because the positional stuff you need to do is very involved and sustained. It's not random dox dancing, but something that is very much a calculated response to some input. Like dodging visible torpedoes, combat fab reclaiming, spreading gunboats so they don't all die to frigate flamethrower aoe, submarine turning/fanning to maximise spread of torpedoes against targets, or keeping unit ranges and engagement timings.

On macro layer, there are many different viable build orders, and all of them will give advantage if your opponent does not respond to it well. For example early sxx to shut down navy expansion, or a teleporter play, a t2 hero ship rush, a t1 rush, a nuke rush, an orbital battleship rush. Many different viable ways to kill your opponent that are likewise counterable so that outcomes come down more to player vs player execution instead of build order win like in vanilla pa.

Other stuff like combat fabber being useful for repairing ships means if you expanded alot of eco but found yourself being rushed by alot of units, you can build a few combat fabbers and have a better chance making a last stand with your small group of ships. Ofcourse you will have mobility issues, but this way it is not all down to who can rush the most ammount of units and snowball a win like in vanilla pa. Counter-attack and defending counter-attack are important considerations.

With the t2 hero ships, the counter play might be a kraken to sneak around and launch a nuke to come back into the t1 navy game. Or he might have good sonars and gunboats everywhere so you might want to go carrier instead. You can also use the carrier itself offensively as a mobile anti nuke platform but that will leave it vulnerable to attack by your opponent if he wants to respond that way. Or your opponent might already have good defense and you need a battleship to wreck it for your t1 navy.

Orbital is important now too, with control providing you with certain benefits like orbital radar (vision is important to maximise ship ranges and determines where you can engage), solar array, sxx control. The game is not over if you lose it, but the aim was to create counterplay between how many resources each player were investing into either orbital or naval units.

TL;DR
    Battleship has lots of viable choices. Winner is determined by who makes the best string of choices, given the choices of the other player, and also a bit of who can execute their choices better.
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah I like this. Having only played a few games I can see this mod suiting my gameplay really well. Choosing between micro and macro makes for real fun team games and the battles are a lot more interesting than in vanilla.

Some questions mighty maker. Is there a figure for the commanders resistance to nukes? Nuke plane does 5k damage, but seems to just tickle the commander. Not against this as I thought I had found a sneaky rush snipe build. Does the anti air missile only shoot when it faces the target? If this is the case I love the idea, if not then it needs some tweaking. What's the cost of the nuke on the nuke plane? Did you increase combat fabber price from 150 to 250 or am I mistaken? I agree with the change. But a change log could be nice for number guys like myself practicing for the tourney. I'll be home in ten minutes if you wanna play some.

Oh and the 600 radius map with the land is unbalanced. On one of the rivers there is 1 mex on one side and 2 on the other.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  18. elodea

thanks for pointing out the mex :p.

yea the nuke plane ammo had 0.5x against commander modifier or something. I think i removed it in next version, but i don't really wanna keep putting out updates haha.

Yes well spotted the cf price to 250 and health to 300, had to do something about the efficiency of hp per metal healed when they were healing each other.
    Clopse and zihuatanejo like this.
  19. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Well this is just jolly good fun.
  20. zihuatanejo

Crikey! You've clearly put a lot of thought into it. I'll definitely check it out!