Still No New Content?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by blightedmythos, May 23, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Meh I think zero k has far too much stuff most of it without a defined roll. I much prefer balanced annihilation for that reason. Complexity for the sake of it isn't a good thing imo....
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Everything that I've seen in Zero-K has a use, it's all a matter of experimentation to discover what that use is.

Balanced Annihilation suffers from a problem known as the T2 timing where you can easily lose if your opponent gets T2 a little while before you do. Hm... remind you of anything?

[​IMG]

Besides, why do people even play BA when BAR is so much better to play? It makes no sense!
  3. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Because BA is technically more advanced and more comfortable to control, even though the content of BAR is far superior.

That's like the difference of winding up your old gramophone to listen to some good classics on vinyl, and listening to a mind numbing radio station just because it's so much easier just to turn a single nob.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

BAR didn't work properly last time I played it, also many people have an affinity for the old TA models, as low poly as they were...

Also I don't subscribe to the 'T2 = T1 with strange roles' concept so I don't view the 't2 window' as an issue in either BA or PA...

T2 timing was all part of the challenge of TA imo...
  5. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

Actually I had a cooler idea, it involves giving them a unit attachment per say. What would happen is that the bot fabbers could build a structure called the Comm launch Pad, then a special mech like unit called the "Comm Boxer" could be built, but the only way to build it is by connecting your commander to the launch pad, he is then hoisted into the air and the mech is built around him. Once complete, your commander can now be the means of victory or defeat.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Or we could just make coms not take forever to repair and make the uber cannon spammable if you have the eco for it and not waste time coding in upgrades.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

would definitively like a regenability for the comm when out of combat
    wilhelmvx, ace63 and cdrkf like this.
  8. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

That would make the battles feel more battle orientated and less of a Commander babysitting service. I still love this game though either way. :D
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

now imagine we just had hovercrafts and planettraversable aircraft only (because that might be all that is needed) ... yes these things would allow us to play the game more fluid but at the same time may just limit the ammount of strategies and variety we could have so i rather welcome the way the unitpool is limited ...
    i just looked at "ashes of singularity" whichs unitpool seemed to be all about small and large hovercraftsvessels and aircraft and while that might be enough to have propper combat across the whole map it feels fairly monotone as well ... having various unitypes with different limitations and strenghs brings much more to a game imo than just having one or 2 universaly useable unittypes .. kind of the reason why i found f.e. startrek armarda or conflict: frontier wars, while not bad, to get old rather quickly as both games were all about large ships, but didn´t have any independant bombers, gunships or fighters etc. and yes these games could have easily be transfered to PA´s multiplanetplay
    ... you may as well just mod them in ... wouldn´t be suprised if someone does if/when/once the tools are in ...

at the very least it would make players commit/prepare more on attacking the commander
    because if they leave him alone for too long he may just be back on full health ...
    it also would allow for using the comm offensive more often ...
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  10. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

At one point they had one. You should remember that.

Presumably, it's been toned down or removed for a reason. Possibly multiple reasons.

Before asking Uber for their own internal design documents, methinks you need to both get a better understanding of design constraints (your proposal for a new unit using a new layer is incredibly hacky, ignores any future potential issues with the implementation and also is rather one-dimensional) and also remember all the different things Uber have changed with PA, over the months (and years).

It seems to me like you're forgetting stuff that was quite explosively popular to talk about in ages past :p