Why was Friendly Fire Splash Damage not included in PA?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by coldboot, April 28, 2015.

1. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I'm wondering what happened with FF (Friendly Fire) AoE (Area of Effect) splash damage during development of Planetary Annihilation, and what was the rationale behind excluding it.

Just to clarify, there are two completely independent types of Friendly Fire:
    1. Friendly Projectile Collision:
    Whether or not projectiles fired from friendly and/or allied units actually collide with and do direct damage to friendly and/or allied units.
    2. Friendly Area of Effect Damage: Whether or not projectiles fired from your own and/or allied units that do splash or AoE (Area of Effect) damage will damage friendly and/or allied units the are close to the location of impact, which can be either the ground or some unit.

Note: I'm only asking about the second point, Friendly Area of Effect Damage. Why was it not included in Planetary Annihilation?

I found two previous discussions on Friendly Fire from AoE splash damage here:
    Friendly Fire Artillery: August 25, 2012
    Friendly Fire on Splash Damage: January 30, 2014

But no Uber employee ever weighed in on either of those discussions. Do you guys have any input, @jables @tvinita @scathis ?

Note:
    Neither Planetary Annihilation, Supreme Commander or Total Annihilation had "Friendly Projectile Collision" (unless you specifically targeted your own unit), and it seems like it would only lead to more micro. [1]
    stuart98, ace63 and tatsujb like this.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Nukes do though. Jig explosions too, I think.
    It might be just too much micro to have it for other things because you would need to keep your own units out of the fire of Shellers for instance. So you wouldn't be able to group select Ants and Shellers and run into a base with them for example, but you would need to control them separately.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Because it's kinda awful to have your guys killing eatchother, the micromanagment required would just be simply unfun.
  4. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

It worked rather well in TA and it was fun....
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  5. mabn

mabn Member

It's plain stupid that anti-nukes do not work against nukes launched by yourself or your teammates.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. DeathByDenim

Why would you fire an anti-nuke against your own (or allied nukes)? I mean, usually you would build an anti-nuke near your nuke farm to prevent enemy nukes from nuking your nukes. I guess you could create an exception to not fire anti-nukes at nukes launched from inside the anti-nuke radius, but then what about nukes that fly over your base en route to the enemy target? The latter case holds true even more so for allied nukes.
  7. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Since a nuke is not auto-firing, and people generally aren't dicks to their teammates, having friendly-fire splash damage from nukes is not so much of a problem. Sometimes you need to nuke your own base, or your ally may need to nuke your own base, to stop an advance from the enemy. This shouldn't be disallowed automatically by anti-nukes, but you also shouldn't be able to avoid penalty from nuking your own base.

I think you shouldn't also be able to avoid a penalty from shelling your own base or units with Shellers, Pelters or Holkins, but with those units needing to be set to auto-fire to be effective, it could be too easy to exploit friendly splash damage by dropping units in the middle of someone's base with the Unit Cannon.

If there wasn't a Unit Cannon, I guess it would be difficult to sneak a small amount of harmless units into a base such that surrounding splash weapons would surrounding friendly buildings. Perhaps if you had enough laser defense, it could take out any invading units before the splash damage weapons would fire enough to destroy your base.

It would be interesting to make a mod with friendly splash damage and see if it's actually exploitable.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

because that's anti nuke's job? keep you from dying?

that's what they did in SupCom
    as well as in SupCom
  9. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

When you're nuking your own base, it's usually an act of desperation that's carried out in a panic. If your anti-nuke will automatically fire own your own nukes, allied or your own, then the only way you can nuke your own base is to first figure out which anti-nukes are in range, then disable them. This isn't something you're going to get right in time while in a panic.

You're basically sacrificing being able to easily nuke your own base to destroy an invading force for the sake of protecting against griefing allies, which almost never happens.

Nukes aren't really what we're discussing here, we're talking about splash damage. Let's stay on topic.
    klavohunter likes this.
  10. DeathByDenim

@coldboot :
    I'd say nukes are the pinnacle of splash damage, but I see your point. :)

@tatsujb :
    Well, don't nuke yourself if you don't like dying. Problem solved! And you ignored all of my stated reasons against it. ;)
    (Also, the images in your signature are broken.)
  11. tatsujb

Last edited: April 28, 2015
  12. igncom1

TA had barely any friendly fire.

And SupCom had barely any friendly fire.
  13. tatsujb

I think you're thinking of supcom 2 again while I'm thinking of supcom 1 which had the most out of the whole simulated projectile RTS lineage.
  14. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

What? Both those games had massive friendly fire and collateral damage to your own units when stuff exploded (which one may also count as friendly fire).
    tatsujb likes this.
  15. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

To be fair, Dropbox doesn't claim nor want to be a public file distribution service.
  16. tatsujb

yeah as a matter of fact you could even say ColonelSheppard's youtube channel is devoted to almost exclusively this :

17. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

Nukes.... @scaf
  18. igncom1

But it still had barely any Friendly fire.

Artillery FF, sure, a bit, but other then that.

Little to no FF.

Not really, most units in TA shot through each other, and so couldn't commit FF.

But I'll be stubborn about this, FF is a very bad mechanic that is really un-fun to have.
  19. tatsujb

you're wrong on the whole line.

in this one @1:15 you can see an anti nuke hit his own gunship that was landed too close and clipped it, thus allowing the nuke to get through.

and if FF was unfun sheppard's videos wouldn't be devoured like this. it's your say against 1,281 subscribers and 189,507 views.
  20. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

@igncom1 We've already established that none of the games have or should have Friendly Fire Projectile Collision. We're only talking about Friendly Fire Splash or AoE damage.