[WIP] [Server] ModX

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by zx0, June 1, 2014.

1. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

@doud @killerkiwijuice Thanks for support guys!

Icons give more info, it's kinda necessary or I would have same icons for different units :)
    There's also bigger icons version on PAMM, if they seem too small.

I wanted to do flipbook explosions, but I don't know how to draw/generate it...

Yeah, I know this is weird and I'll make it so that regural advanced fabbers can build expirementals, but I want to try to make built bar work differently.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  2. raymanic13

raymanic13 New Member

Ive actually stopped playing MP and just played this mod with AI, its soo amazing.

Do you have some definitive values on unit stats? Id be willing to write up a Wiki if you do.

Also regarding Experimentals, I understand they should be super tough units, but maybe if you could look into an Anti-Experimental experimental at all? Like a big *** railgun or something that can take one out in a few shots, but is fragile in its own right so it cant be utilized like a normal experimental (maybe a medium ranged, squishy experimental with a Railgun or similar Kinetic weapon to remove any Army-clearing capabilities it might have, a slow rate of fire {0.20 APS?} which only has its main weapon as its AA or so, meaning it can deal with gunship but cannot deal with Bomber spam), because getting hit by a Experimental gunship and either a Megatank or Megabot at 30 minutes (which is entirely possible, tested it myself) is usually a game ender on a single planet map. Like its an amazing concept in its own right but they are really irritating to deal with late late game where the opponent will have armies consisting of them, and all you can do is throw endless bodies at them.

Also, is there the possibility for experimental orbital? Eg a Battlecruiser or something?
    Last edited: April 13, 2015
  3. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Glad you like it!

I'll be changing some things, there are no final stats yet.

Air defenses of the same cost deal pretty easy with gunship. Raptor and tactical missile bots good vs land experimentals. 4 uber turrets can take out experimental with 1st shot. Maybe I'll improve artillery accuracy so it becomes better option.

Orbital antiland units could already be considered experimentals :) As for orbital antiorbital superunits, we'll see.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

played the mod today again ... gotta say i am disapointed ...

why take carpetbombing out of t1?
    why can only t2 fabbers build teleporters and not t1 and combatfabbers as well?
    why no amphibius bots?

this takes a lot of possibilities away from the early to mid game and forces a techrush too much
    or simply limits your early options

many roleoverlapping units
    has many copypaste feeling units : dox, skitter, mg-boat f.e.

t1 radar too expensive even with mobile radar for compensating

too much teamcolored stuff going on ...

all of course my opinion

some units seem to not assist factorys such as navalfab and subfab
    Last edited: April 16, 2015
  5. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Not intentional, was standardizing weapons. I can bring it back if you think it was better that way.

Combat fabbers can be built by unit cannon and giving the ability to build teleporters will eliminate point of having Astraeus in late game. Teleporters can be very powerful, I don't want them to be easely acessible, so no teleporters for basic fabber either.

You mean some bots in particular or in general? None of existing bots feels amphibious to me.

Not entirely overlapping, but will be dealt with... someday.

Thanks for report, will fix in the next update.

I think power of recon is underestimated.

I don't really care teamolored or not. People seemed to like it so I did it.
    stuart98 and Nicb1 like this.
  6. MrTBSC

i feel air is missing an early AoE option to also defend against groups of units
    in that case the hummingbird could take the precision strike role
    maybe make the lategame carpetbomber (forgot name) into a single bomb large AoE bomber?

what you want to be able to is to bring in your army you have from a homeplanet to enemy territory and unless you made the austreus to be multiunitcapable then it is not usefull anyway but only for bringing buildcapacity over .. building unitcannons takes too long if you don´t have a high ecocapacity ... what that useally means is you have to techrush and always risk your t2 units ... or start building an new army again with the other sitting on your main doing nothing ...

i am speaking about the dox and stomper(?) ... you seemed to made the t2 tank into a sort of wagner instead

well should it realy cover half the planet that early?
    wasn´t that meant for the t2 radar?

well too bad ...
    Last edited: April 23, 2015
  7. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Hummingbird as a bomber, huh. I'll think about it, no promises. Single bomb for t2 bomber - it use to be a thing; but right now special thing about it is that the bomber has "torpedo" bombs and can attack subs and do more damage to naval.

I really expacted unit cannon to be able to load and fire units and that there would be properly working multiunit transports. But that didn't happen and I have to work within limitations. I won't be doing multiunit transport, because it sucks that players have to load every single unit manually.
    Didn't think about tech rush as I don't like multiplanet gameplay particurally. But you kinda actually have three options if you want to invade a planet: 1) rush Astraeus, build new base with t1 engineer, 2) rush t2, build teleporter (but enemy may be ready for you if they went with 1), 3) rush unit cannon, drop Vanguards...

I probably should add more amphibious units but dunno if it gonna be these two.

No it shouldn't, it really depends on size of the planet how big it looks. I'll consider nerfing it.

I mean, I probably would not have team colored explosions or anything if it wasn'r for a fad. I could make a non-colored or less colored version, but why is it so bad anyway?
    Nicb1 likes this.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

9. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

stuart98 and igncom1 like this.
  10. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

@zx0 do you have plans for new experimental units?:)) I really like your work. What about an experimental bomber just like the seraphim had in supcom fa? And an experimental battleship? A fatboy? Really. Your units spice up the gameplay a lot. I hope you have plans for such units.
    Last edited: April 22, 2015
    zx0 likes this.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Experimental bomber would be the easiest thing ever. =)

Fatboy is easy enough but can't make it a factory. >.<
    zx0 likes this.
  12. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I personally like all the colours and fx in your mod and wouldn't really want to see them changed to something more bland.
    stuart98 and zx0 like this.
  13. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I do have plans for more experimentals. :)
    Nicb1 likes this.
  14. MrTBSC

.... well they feel blant to me to be honest as in stuff is oversaturated with one color ... but that´s just my opinion ...

also "experimentals"/"superunits" (can we just call them heavy assault or siege? something that doesn´t sound cheesy?) could do with a bit more HP imo gunship got busted a bit too fast by a mere couple of aa fighters

i still think t3 structures should be lower in cost more like around 3.5k or 3.75k
  15. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

I does seem more fun that superunits (people have called them this way for too long, it's too late to change it(also, it's cool)) should last longer. I will try to make new ones bigger.

Probably won't happen, I don't want switch to advanced to be early in the game.
    stuart98 and Nicb1 like this.
  16. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I think I've found a bug Zx0.
    This has happened multiple times. Whenever a boombot gets destroyed by something the server freezes up and crashes. This crash happens before the fx for the boombots death display. If you need any more info let me know.
  17. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for report. Same thing happens to mines. Fixed internaly.
  18. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Update 5.3 (26 apr 2015)

Fixed mine and Boom bot crash.
    Fixed tactical missile shooing at the ground.
    New build bar that fits in lowres screens.
    Superusnits now buildable with non-combat advanced fabbers too.
    Units now can fire at submerged land units. Submerged superunits and commander can fire at non-submerged units. It is not possible to make it so that land units can fire at submerged superunits only, so it's ether they can fire at all submerged land units or non (Megabot is always way high above the water).

Avaliable on PAMM.
    igncom1 likes this.
  19. anonymoustoad

anonymoustoad New Member

Hello zx0 and everyone else. Im Anonymoustoad, the guy who made the really really bad wiki for ModX without asking anyone. First off I would like to say, amazing job with the mod, lots of depth and strategy in it, only problem is that whenever i play this in pubs, they dont really know whats going on in the mod, as to what units are available and how the gameplay should be adapted from vanilla PA to the Mod. Thats pretty much why I made the Wiki, just to give basically a public way of learning the game without actually playing and practicing it.

First off I would like to ask the Mod Author zx0 something: Are you OK with me making the wiki? If not i have no problem taking it down.

If your ok with it, then I would like to let everyone know that if they have any data from the mod files they can contribute (Its an annoying process to get exact unit stats) then they are free to contribute to the wiki, just log in first if possible or just mention after editing the source for your changes (etc a mod update with the value change quoted or something, I want to try to avoid false information).

Anyways, like i said, thanks for the Mod, its lots of fun, and if I get your consent zx0 ill continue work on the Wiki and try to make it up to date and accurate.
    stuart98, Nicb1, zx0 and 2 others like this.
  20. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can make wiki, I'm ok with it :)
    The best way to get unit specs is to go through .json files, I'm afraid. You can reformat them though.
    I have most units referencing base specs from /units/generic directory. Most of the weapons are simply referencing base specs from /tools/modx without changes.
    Nicb1 likes this.