Invisible cursor with new nVidia driver

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Hakkonen, April 25, 2015.

1. Hakkonen

Hakkonen New Member

My video card is a GeForce GTX 760. Today I updated the driver from 347.something to 350.12, and now the cursor is invisible in the PA main menu. This occurs in both online and offline modes. The new driver is the only thing that has changed since PA was fully functional for me.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Does the cursor reappear when you run PA with --software-ui? And does the cursor reappear when you revert to the old drivers?
  3. Hakkonen

Hakkonen New Member

To be clear: the command-line switch is "--software-ui" with all three hyphens and no spaces. Is that correct?
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yes, all switches in PA start with a double hyphen.

If you use the PA Launcher you can add the switch into the command line options (sign in and go to the options menu in launcher to the right of the stream selection box).

I think you can do the same if you use Steam by going into the properties but I'm not sure on that one as I don't use Steam for PA.
  5. Hakkonen

Hakkonen New Member

OK, the answer to both questions is no. I reverted back to 347.88, and the cursor remains invisible. I ran the launcher with the --software-ui switch, and the cursor remains invisible. Sometimes, and there seems to be no pattern to this, the cursor will be visible when the main menu first comes up, but then vanishes as soon as I click on anything.
  6. DeathByDenim

Reverting the driver doesn't fix it? That's rather odd. How did you revert them?

Also, what happens when you switch between windowed and full screen mode? I think the short cut for that is <Alt>+<Enter>.
  7. Hakkonen

Hakkonen New Member

I reverted the drivers by downloading and running the installer from nvidia.com. NVidia GeForce Experience (a pointless and superfluous piece of software if ever there was one) correctly reports my driver version as 347.88.

Ahh, now this is interesting. In windowed mode, the cursor is visible. In fullscreen mode, it is not.
  8. DeathByDenim

Hmm, well, at least you are able to play again. I'm still not sure why it would do that, as PA fullscreen is just a borderless window that covers the entire screen. But I've seen others with that problem. Those were on Windows Vista though.

About reverting the drivers. Could you try completely uninstalling the drivers first, reboot, and then reinstall the old drivers? It's entirely possible that the installer won't overwrite some files for whatever reason. Actually, you can try that with the new drivers too, just to see if that was a problem in the first place. NVidia installers are usually pretty good about that, but who knows.
  9. Hakkonen

Hakkonen New Member

I am running Vista. Is it possible that Vista and PA just don't like each other?
  10. DeathByDenim

Oh yes. They don't. That bug has been around for quite a while:
    PA#3886
    It's very finicky. For some it works, for some it doesn't. For some rolling back drivers works, for others it doesn't. On top of that Vista is quite dated, so not many people use it anymore (2% as of last month).

Is there a possibility to upgrade your Windows to a more recent version? (Or alternatively Linux if you are comfortable with that)
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  11. Hakkonen

Hakkonen New Member

In the medium term, yes. Oh well. Thanks for your help. :)