So who else misses ZaphodX and Marshall?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zihuatanejo, April 14, 2015.

1. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Back when I decided to pay another $10 and upgrade my Kickstarter's pledge from beta to alpha access, I found @ZaphodX's videos extremely helpful whilst learning the game. Not only that, but they were very entertaining and he was a prolific content creator back then. A quick look just now and he has about 450 PA related videos!

Recently he's stopped uploading regularly, as has @wpmarshall (who I discovered via ZaphodX, and also created quality PA video content until recently), no doubt due to real life commitments. Work, education, relationships, health, and other things can sometimes conspire to intrude upon our precious gaming time! I know if I was single, my channel would have a /lot/ of videos on it right now!

Anyway, I wanted to start this thread as a sort of shout-out to both casters, to highlight my appreciation of their hard work. Also, I'm thinking of trying to step into their illustrious shoes and try my hand at casting as well. My Youtube channel, http://youtube.com/user/fractaljaguar, is mostly full of POV gameplay from 1v1 games, which are what I enjoy the most, with the occasional FFA, 2v2, or team game. I'd quite like to give casting a go, and I also really want to try and use video editing for post-game analysis videos. Casting is limited by real-time. I want to watch replays, identify the key moments in the game, and edit together a video showing all the key moments and decisions.

So, please tell me if you'd like me to try casting videos. Do you miss watching PA videos on a regular basis? I can't promise any #scone based hilarity but I'll try my best to be entertaining and informative, and because I currently play the game, my analysis should be reasonably good. Its hard to keep up with the game because it is still in development, particularly the balance aspect of the game.

Lastly, I would like to say that I think it is important for the 'health' of Planetary Annihilation, in terms of sales and playerbase numbers, for quality content to be produced and made available on Youtube and Reddit and so on. The game wasn't in an optimal state when it was released which led to some negative publicity. We've had major updates since then, with more major updates to come. Hopefully Uber will do another publicity drive of some sort, to promote the development work that has gone into PA since release. Until then, let's talk about how much fun this game can be!
    elwyn, lulamae, tr4c3rt0ng and 8 others like this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

simple: everyone who feels like casting and thinks he has the right equipment, voice, speechpace and security to do so shall do it ...
    put links in the vidoesubforum and go for it ...
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  3. zihuatanejo

I guess I'm just trying to gauge interest in general
  4. MrTBSC

if you build (and show) it they will (hopefully) come ....
  5. zihuatanejo

Indeed, and I'm sure I will do casting in the future. This is as much about missing ZaphodX's videos as it is about me trying casting! As I pointed out in my OP, I already have a youtube channel and a lot of PA related content, but it is all POV gameplay because I actually enjoy playing the game. Casting means less time playing! ;)
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Jaguar you're a top fellow, and if your casting has even a scratch on your ability to get a PA server up and running despite hidden typos in the code snippets some nameless wolly put up on the guide, you'll knock em flat.

I'm currently away from my PC until the end of April, but once I'm back would love to try and dual cast with you if the opportunity arises :)
  7. zihuatanejo

Thanks! And hell yeah, I'd totally be up for a dual cast! I think they're a bit more entertaining; if one caster goes silent for whatever reason the other person can fill the gap, and together you bounce off each other and it often makes for some fun banter.

I really enjoyed your commentary and banter with @Quitch during the Evil Twins tournament, you guys did a great job of providing great analysis of the game whilst bantering away to great effect!

Next time I have some nice quiet time to myself I shall lurk and look for games and pester Uber players to open up a spec slot for me ;)
  8. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Pah, I wish :p :D
  9. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

If only we went to the clubs when you where here. With Chris and zaph
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I wish I hadn't got tanked on tequila that night they dragged us out to that Mexican place.

I blame Marshii, I had to do his slammers for him because he doesn't drink.

I will be coming back to Seattle. Soon.
  11. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Come after January so i an go bar hopin with you
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  12. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Not quite the events that I remember o_O

;)
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  13. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I really wish Zaphod would start casting a new game at least, I miss his Sunday casts.
  14. Danagor

Danagor Member

I will check you channel, maybe i can get better as i watch you play :)
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  15. zihuatanejo

Maybe! :)
    Danagor likes this.
  16. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

I for one definitely miss ZaphodX and WP Marshall (and B8factor and Gamegirl for that matter) and I think it's great that you are casting. I have already watched all the videos you have created already and look forward to more.
  17. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Maybe I should get back into casting...
  18. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Ahh good memories ^_^

I might do a one-night-only stream next weekend.
    elwyn, ViolentMind, MrTBSC and 7 others like this.
  19. zihuatanejo

That'd be nice!
  20. MrTBSC

if you don´t feel burned out from PA by all means ...
    the most important thing is you yourself have fun doing it ...
    zihuatanejo likes this.