Regarding some details we'll be releasing today

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, August 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

You're not in software development are you?
    Quitch, cptconundrum and squishypon3 like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Most of the bugs AAA games are fun glitches though, like gorilla arms in Halo 3 :D
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Yes. I am. That's my major :)

I know how hard it is to get there. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be migitated.
  4. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Hard to get there? How do you know when you have arrived? Have you never heard of the Halting Problem? Do you have some magical bug detector that tells you when your program is finally free of bugs? How do you know that you have found EVERY major bug?
    meir22344, Quitch and squishypon3 like this.
  5. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Mitigation is completely different then eliminating.

Edit: there's a reason for all software licenses to have a disclaimer of warranty and or limitation of liability because you simply cannot remove all bugs from a program or any other strange weird issue, etc.
    Last edited: August 26, 2014
    pieman2906, Quitch and squishypon3 like this.
  6. squishypon3

I made a long post and lost it due to mobile, but-

TL: DR

If anyone deserves some leeway, it's Uber, because of nitpicky community that considers them saying "yeah that's a cool feature, I'd love to see it in the game" a hard core promise.

Just give them a break for a bit maybe?
    pieman2906, corteks and Remy561 like this.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The internet at large doesn't give anyone breaks for any reason.

And most of the things the community is desiring isn't "yeah that's a cool feature, I'd love to see it in game" but hyped up and promised features, like offline, server, matchmaking, unit cannon, submarines, and the list goes on.
    cmdandy and hahapants like this.
  8. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Another thread that got turned into a feature fight....
  9. squishypon3

I've seen quite a few features the community claims were promises that weren't.. :/ (at least not promises that they'd be in 1.0, people just assumed that. That's why assumptions are bad.)
  10. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

What is the way to get things done?
    tatsujb likes this.
  11. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Yea, a lot of people don't realize that this game is a long term thing that will continue to be developed well after 1.0. Esports is a big thing now, and PA is set to take a nice chunk of that pie.

Also, if you are not one of the devs, you don't "get things done". You beg the devs to get things done for you. Or you just wait.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. squishypon3

Create a thread in the correct place for one, second don't be a **** about stuff, third don't just post in completely separate threads about it, and lastly... make a bug tracker for it.
  13. doud

doud Well-Known Member

OK, but not because a few "promised" features are not in place with 1.0 means Uber is failing. Especially because a few of them are likely to come very soon just after release 1.0. 1.0 is here just because it has to be. Uber never said 1.0 would have all promised and hyped features. They've just reached a state where the game can be delivered as it is, take a rest and prepare for next steps. They definitly need a break.
    MrTBSC, pieman2906, corteks and 2 others like this.
  14. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

"They definitely need a break" Are you serious? I don't know of any other company which would take a "company break", yes individuals may take a holiday/annual leave, but not the whole company. What planet are you from?
  15. squishypon3

No no, that people need to give Uber a break. :p
  16. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

submitting a bug report or support ticket.

also, this thread is obviously no longer about some really cool details i wanted to share pre-announcement. so, uh, i guess closed? like, there's not much we can do here when topics go into this territory for pages and pages.

edit: actually, let's do a better job sticking to thread topics moving forward. have a topic you want to discuss? create a thread, you know?

[also won't be as lax about this moving forward, but threats are dumb. let's just be awesome instead.]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.