The Galactic War Begins!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, May 22, 2014.

1. Arcalane

Arcalane New Member

Good start, but the difficulty spike from generic no-name systems to faction strongholds is absurd. Easy enough to steamroll everything else though.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  2. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Right. I experienced the same.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

There is very little relation between the cost of creating software and the price of "the rights to use a single copy".
    squishypon3 and Kursah like this.
  4. emporer88

emporer88 Member

the micro feature is good, its showing that you support Uber yet doesn't make you OP, I like the way they have done the skins, and it could be ALOT worse, imagine having to pay 10$ to get your Alt fire! now that would suck.
  5. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Same issue. I guess it's my fault for letting the commander escape, but what about multi-planet starts? Seeing 100+ astreaus unfolding on the enemy planet is kind of cool and not a tactic I'd used before, and queued go-drop-return commands are actually pretty cool. But at some point they take so long to get into formation you have to start using multiple smaller groups. And then the number of units on both sides and flying back and forth between planets causes lag, and then crashes. I haven't checked if it's a client or server crash yet; I've got mods disabled and Reconnect Button isn't tested or on GW currently.
  6. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

That AI started on the other planet, one on mine and one on the other. I owned the first one in 10 mins but then just didn't have the patience to deal with the lag and trying to drop more than 100 astraeus on him. I'll try again later when I have more time
  7. squawkers13

squawkers13 Member

I really think that if a system is owned by an enemy, when you fight then they should already have a base there.
  8. wondible

Realistically these systems should be fully built up with a halley ready to drop on the head of anybody who comes calling, given that you can do that in, what, an hour or so? But it wouldn't make for much of a game.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Microtransactions? Eww... I much prefer MACROtransactions.. :D
    corteks and stuart98 like this.
  10. captaincrunsh0

captaincrunsh0 New Member

Hey!
    As I wanted to check out the galactic war and clicked on the symbol, on the starting screen, everything I get is the basic, blank UI layout, like shown in the picture. None of the Buttons has an effect and I have to terminate PA, can't even go back to the main menu. Tried it via the pa-launcher and via the steam version. Has anyone of you had the same problem? Would appreciate some clues!
    GW.jpg
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I have herd concerns about the GW upgrades for multiplayer.

Can we make it a toggle for the competitive people, so those of us less competitive people can still have them?
  12. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

This is the biggest thing on my radar to improve for Galactic War.
    Difficulty ramping is difficult.
    drz1 and igncom1 like this.
  13. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Those are the only 3 we have built so far. They all accepted.
    squishypon3, corteks, drz1 and 2 others like this.
  14. wondible

I may have missed this in the the storm of forum posts, but I noticed that the game no longer says "Gamma v.", it says "Galactic v.". So the Galactic War Update is kind Delta phase, only they didn't call it that.

If this pattern holds, next major release/PR push is 2014-08-2x, mostly likely 22 (hope it's not a week later, I'll be traveling)
  15. Arcalane

Arcalane New Member

The killer is the fake-difficulty in the randomness of techs along with the AI factions seeming to have no such restrictions (just loose preferences, such as the Reds like air power?), as others have mentioned. Orbital stuff either needs to be permanently available, or else GalWar needs a proper R&D tech-tree setup.

To give an example, I'm running a new GalWar game on a max-size map. I have seventeen systems (counting my starter), and seven(!) tech slots. Three are used by unique SubComms (Silva, Nero, Urcinius) whilst three more are spent on Efficiency, Improved Build Arms, and Adv. Orbital Tech.

Presently, the attack plan is "bury things under an unstoppable tide of Bolos, and killsat anything that they can't reach". It's a little absurd, to the point I'm delaying assaulting a faction stronghold so I can poke around to try and dig up another Complete Tech that isn't Naval.