PSA - What Galactic War actually is.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by KNight, October 28, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So what Is Galactic War?

Forum Postings

Live Stream Clips

June 28th Live Stream - Can we get more detail about Galactic War, especially regarding Clans?

July 30th Live Stream - More info about the Galactic War?

This was pulled from my Live Stream Index(which I am redoing as well), I'm still 5 Live Streams behind on my cataloging so I don't have as many of these yet, I will update as I come across more.

Mike
    Last edited: April 21, 2014
    aapl2, xankar, sirmantron and 18 others like this.
  2. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Considering we have like 3 other threads on this just on the front page did we need another one just for an infodump?
    kosmosprime and bradaz85 like this.
  3. KNight

Cross Posting the same thing in 3 different threads isn't exactly a good way to go about it. And what Qualifies as current? We've had probably 20 or 30 threads about the Galactic War in some shape or form, I can't go and post in all of them.

Besides, this, like my other PSA threads, has much more utility in future use compared to the "current" threads.

Mike
    aapl2, xankar, lokiCML and 1 other person like this.
  4. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

It just adds to the clutter. Could have posted it in one of the other threads(Whichever you felt was more promising), and then linked to your response in the other active threads.

More efficient than creating an entirely new thread for something being talked about in 2-3 others.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

@KNight please throw in a suitable definition of metagame, because it's been rather evident that lots of people have no flippin' clue what it is.

[EDIT:] ALSO! A big shiny red notice that PSA's are not for discussions. Talk about things in other threads, but the learning and understanding is for here.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  6. KNight

You're falsely assuming, as BM pointed out, that this is for Discussion. It's not, PSA are for teaching and gathering facts. There is nothing to discuss unless you intend to tell PA's Designer that he's wrong about his idea and then this would not be the place to do it.

What do you think the best description for that would be?

Mike
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Odd, haven't spotted the PSA rule anywhere.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  8. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

The word "Meta" is generally used to to indicate that there's something that goes beyond the discussed subject. "Meta-game", simply insists that there is a game about a game, with some level of abstraction towards the function of the metagame.

The abstraction is where it becomes confusing, because how will you define the meta-game and at what level of abstraction?

Will you define it as the galactic war which serves as a game stacked ontop of another game, or is it about information that transcends that single match, like using information from previous matches the opponent played to influence the outcome of that single match.

This over time will make some strategies common as people have learned them from eachother and have noticed that they've been used to great success. These common strategies or tactics are what people usually refer to as the metagame.
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

So... Galactic War is not awesome.
    iron420 likes this.
  10. KNight

Well it was never meant to be some universally liked Game type. It's more so aimed at people who essentially play 'offline' against AIs and GW lets them play out a "story" and give the series of skirmish games they're playing more meaning and context.

It's also aimed at general online players, Uber can run an "official" GW featuring their factions and maybe even use it to plot out new content much like Valve has done with TF2 to a degree.

Lastly it'll be a fun thing for Clans, no longer are you limited to simple tournaments or random 4v4s or whatever as the high point of clan interaction, now you might see entire clans battling through a private galaxy. It's similar to EVE's Corporations, there is no real story motive behind Corporations, but they create thier own content basically. The bigger battles in EVE aren't due to there being a fancy pants end-game Raid boss, but just players fighting for other players for any number of reasons.

The best part is that each of these GW scenarios could be slightly different, for example the Offline player will play as many battles as they want, but for the Official GW it might be more time limited, like once a week the systems that a given faction has the higher win rate in will become theirs and the following week it'll be a different system they need to fight over.

In the end it might not be for you, btu that's fine, you still have all the regular RTS game types/modes/whatever to play with.

Mike
    Murcanic, lokiCML and cwarner7264 like this.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It is needed because threads keep on popping up where people are making suggestions, asking questions, and thinking (for some reason) that we'll be playing on hundreds of planets at once.

People STILL don't know how to use the search.
    Murcanic likes this.
  12. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Please get off these forums. Go to another forum site for an extended period of time. See what goes on there. It's normal forum behaviour. No point getting your knickers in a knot.
    siefer101 likes this.
  13. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

It's okay, because everyone does it?
    meir22344 and brianpurkiss like this.
  14. bytestream

bytestream Active Member

Of course it is, it's just not what some people thought it would be.
    Galactic War is basically a huge game of risk, that potentially also can be played against every other PA player. With that framework Uber can run a huge campaign with a map the updates once a week/day depending on how the battles people fought during that interval turned out. If you play tabletop games like Warmachines/Hordes you know that concept from their campaigns.
    stormingkiwi and brianpurkiss like this.
  15. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Galactic War is not awesome because it doesn't exist (yet). ;)

Yeah we have had some posts about what its supposed to be but going from an idea to the execution...
  16. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Nice compendium, as always, Mike.

By the way if Uber wanted to release more details on GW to keep us ticking over, I'm sure we wouldn't complain ;)
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  17. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Nice job, Mike.
    I think this thread should be sticky.
    xankar, stormingkiwi and brianpurkiss like this.
  18. comham

comham Active Member

I still don't understand how people could misunderstand what GW is. The pitch video and basic comprehension made it pretty clear.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  19. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Oh, it happens a lot? Then let's do nothing to keep people from posting lots of duplicate posts. </sarcasm>

I've been on these forums for a bit longer than you and am a lot more active on the forums than you are. I am well aware that there are lots of duplicate posts. Encouraging people to search keeps people from posting unnecessary posts in the future.

Absolutely not. It's a randomized campaign on a large scale. It's exactly what was communicated to us from the beginning and will be awesome.
  20. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

This is more than a little childish guys "My dads bigger than yours" crap.
    Also, "So... Galactic War is not awesome." seems to be his opinion, why argue with that.
    tatsujb and stormingkiwi like this.