Balance Discussion Meeting

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by cwarner7264, September 17, 2013.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Hi forum-goers,

Following a number of discussions that I’ve seen on the forums and in the IRC, and conversations that I’ve been involved in on our teamspeak, I would like to have a discussion with the wider PA community to see what our general feelings are towards various aspects of game balance as we march steadily towards beta.

I know certain community members hold very strong views on specific balance matters, and getting everyone’s opinion on such a rich range of topics is quite a difficult task. So, I’ve come up with what I hope is a reasonable solution.

I’d like to extend an invitation, for anyone who wishes to participate, to a ‘balance discussion meeting’ on our Teamspeak on Saturday 21st September 2013 at 1830hrs UTC. It would be good to exchange some views and to get to know some of you a little better. Entry is open to all!

As far as details go, I’m reluctant to post our Teamspeak IP in the public domain, so I would ask anyone who is interested in joining in to post below. I will then send out PMs a few hours beforehand with the IP so you can come and join in.

I hope to see as many of you as possible on Wednesday!

Here is the agenda for the meeting

Recording:

Minutes:

Time conversions:
    - 1830hrs UTC
    - 1930hrs UK time (BST)
    - 2030hrs European time (CEST)
    - 1130hrs PDT
    Last edited: September 27, 2013
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I'll be there, but you already know that.

Edit: Actually I am in Math Class at that particular time, why isn't this on the weekend?
    Last edited: September 17, 2013
  3. gorerillaz

gorerillaz Member

4:30am my time??? thats quite early i cant make it :(
  4. gorerillaz

gorerillaz Member

could you plz make it on friday???
  5. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

You`re going to have to change the timings on this meeting as many people on this day would have to go to various educational institutions. A weekend would probably be the best thing for people.
    cwarner7264 and gorerillaz like this.
  6. cwarner7264

OP amended. Good points - let's make it Saturday! Sorry - I suppose it was a little impatient of me :p
    gorerillaz likes this.
  7. tmaiaroto

tmaiaroto New Member

hey, can't make it. but i can add my two cents here.... be careful of a nuke game. make anti-nukes cheaper or limit how many nukes you can build or reduce power or something.

the game right now is literally a nuke game.
    frenky29a and gorerillaz like this.
  8. gorerillaz

gorerillaz Member

its either that or factory spam
    frenky29a likes this.
  9. theadamwest

theadamwest Member

expect a representative from ballistic logistics to attend, we'll let you know whom we'll be sending later on today.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  10. greeves

greeves New Member

I cant attend but here is my feedback:

> vehicles seems more powerful than bots

> WHITE Color is BROKEN > when u zoom out your icons are displayed as white so if the enemy chooses white as their color they are also displayed as white which obv makes it hard to tell who is who and gives the team selecting WHITE as their color an unfair advantage
  11. gorerillaz

gorerillaz Member

But bots are stronger
  12. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

That depends on usage my primate friend
  13. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

That's about 0630 here so count me out.
  14. gorerillaz

gorerillaz Member

crap i meant are faster...wasn't thinking
  15. cwarner7264

No need to send just one! It's open to anyone who wants to attend, bitter rivals included ;)
  16. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea, but you might have to have two meetings, one UTC evening and another time that's better for people farther away. I'm in the UK so 6:30pm on a Saturday is not a problem, but it appears that it is a problem for a few others.

Can we get Brad or sirvladamir (new dev focusing on game balance) to attend?
  17. cwarner7264

I seem to recall that was one of the reasons for my initially looking to hold it on a weekday (I had a late night last night). It's entirely their prerogative - I've no doubt they'll see this thread and panic accordingly ("uh oh, they're getting organised!").

I tried to select a time which would enable most users to get on. Perhaps I should move it to a slightly later UTC to enable our friends from Down Under to get in on the fun? How would 2030hrs UTC sound to people?
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  18. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

I'm curious, whats the advantage of doing it on teamspeak instead of a written medium like irc or those forums?

Of course its faster but it has some drawbacks. Mainly its hard for others who can't attend to get insight in to those discussions. Also such a discussion is very limited in how many people can attend while still keeping it viable. (The more speakers the shorter the individual time for each and increasing length of discussion.)

Additionaly, whats the advantage for somebody for uber to attend to those as it excludes by design a large part of the community? (Time zone, TS itself, the medium, etc.) while they can reach many more people by posting on this forum?
  19. cwarner7264

Honestly, there's no real advantage. It's not supposed to reach any definitive conclusions, it's just a chance to have a chin-wag and get to know some of the people here on another medium!

If people who can't attend would like to listen, I can record the conversation and post the recording in the forum (with a written summary, if necessary).

Depending on numbers and interest, I can draw up an agenda of sorts to make sure we cover a as much ground as possible.

As far as Uber's involvement, I suppose it's a chance to get to know some of the community members a little better; again I've not specifically requested their attendence, though their presence I'm sure would be warmly received.
  20. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I believe I can make it, although it may be with an exceptionally terrible mic.