This and that

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by lulamae, December 27, 2017.

1. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Branding
    When I upload a video to YouTube, I assign a category of "Gaming" and as I type in the name I am offered "Planetary Annihilation 2014". Selecting this displays a PA advertising image icon below the video.

Perhaps the good folks at Uber would consider getting YouTube to add "Planetary Annihilation: Titans" to the dropdown box

Ladder Ranking
    Yeah, I know that everyone knows about the ranking system, but I thought I'd share my experience.
    I'm a mid-level player at best, which was obvious to anyone who saw me play in the AbleGamersCharity Tournament. I was Gold #85 when I quit playing ranked about a year ago. I recently played 4 games, losing one of them and now I'm Platinum #17 ????
    Crazy!

Where's the bottleneck?
    If I play an AI skirmish on PAX and we have say, 2,000 units between us with some patrolling, and I notice that sim speed is at 80%. No surprise I guess, base on past history. I'm playing offline, with local sever on. GPU is a GTX1080 running at 23% utilization. CPU has all 6 cores/12 threads running at 4.4 Ghz and maybe 30% utilization. I have 16G of ram of which 10G is in use. So where is the bottleneck causing the drop in sim speed?

Laser Holkins?
    At the end of an AI skirmish, I had built a line of Holkins'. My earlier ones where shooting just fine but this line seemed to be firing blanks. I'd see the muzzle flash but no shell and nothing in range being destroyed. Pulling back to orbital revealed that this line of Holkins' where shooting lasers into space. (see video) Curious that.

n00n likes this.
  2. n00n

n00n Active Member

The simulations for each entire planet it calculated on a single thread.

This is expected behaviour, the blocking terrain CSG is forcing a higher arching shot to be performed. The max_firing_velocity should probably be lowered a bit to prevent Holkins from firing in such cases.
    Last edited: December 31, 2017
    lulamae likes this.
  3. lulamae

That's what I thought. But I would have expected to see a thread maxed out most of the time.

What are the other 11 threads working on? Seems like I have a lot of horsepower left over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: December 30, 2017
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

From https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Plane..._/_Local_Servers#Multi-threading_Improvements it's apparently:
    Multi-threading is enabled for:
    • multiple planets
    • navigation updates
    • physics updates
    • AIs
    Nicb1 and lulamae like this.
  5. lulamae

Last night I looked at the Leaderboards for an unrelated purpose and I noticed why my accelerated ranking is just as reasonable as it is unreasonable.

When I initially stopped playing ranked, being Gold #85 was solidly in the middle of the pack. But now there are less than 60 players total in the gold tier.

As for my current ranking, I'm #17 out of 18 players. So with this larger perspective, having moved from mid to upper gold/lowest platinum makes more sense, but it would be nice to have more players in ranked.

Any thoughts how we might encourage this?

I have found that playing (and losing) then reviewing ranked games improved my game play better than anything else.