The Last Jedi Trailer Discussion

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by wpmarshall, October 10, 2017.

1. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I did not think I'd make this, lol. But I have a thing for well made trailers that go with music.

My theory - Luke will abandon Rey in training and she will look elsewhere. I recall Mark H saying he didn't like the way they handled Luke's character - I think this could be that.
    Thoughts?

I still think the Battle of Hoth.2 (+AT-ATv2) is dumb.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

People are gonna hype it to death, love it when it comes out and then a year later everyone will bash it.
    wpmarshall likes this.
  3. wpmarshall

In all honesty, I thought that TFA was ok when it came out, I thought it was well made, but as with all the original trilogy - not something I really care too much about. I think Empire is with Hope and Clones for the weakest of all the films, but that seems to be a pariah's opinion. I watched TFA again and found myself skipping to the interesting bits because the lulls, like the original trilogy, are dull to me.
    It's one reason I'm not a fan of full action trailers like this because it doesn't represent the film.
    I'll see it with excitement. And then with a brain critique it.
  4. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

TFA was such a bad and disappointing movie that I promised myself I wouldn't see any other Disney-starwars at the cinema.
    wpmarshall likes this.
  5. Devak

All the fan theorizing will destroy the franchise. People hype stuff to death, set impossible expectations and then go crazy when a film does it's own thing. Despite being a mostly comical series with maybe 2-3 running plots, Rick and Morty saw a huge influx of theorizers that made all sorts of insane storylines, and when the show just did it's own thing like always, they got angry. Starwars is already seeing the same insane level of theorizing with who snoke is (Can't he literally just be an original character? Please?), whether Luke is evil or good or apathetic or whatever (if he did the hoola hoop and started to talk about sechuan sauce, i bet there's a theory that predicted THAT), and further crazy weavings of plot and fantasy.

Game of Thrones is also showing the same big cracks, where it doesn't matter what they do, practically whole screenplays of theories already exist and it's just paint by numbers which one will be true.
    I liked TFA, i thought it was fun and interesting. I get why people who saw the original starwars in the original screenings were blown away by it, but by modern standards they're not that great. The series has plenty of flaws, and it really likes it's cyclical storytelling (especially blowing up big objects with improbable shots. Lucas did it three times just for good measure). Yet when follow-up directors play by the same rules of impossible force mastery (apparently piggyback riding grants you the power to fight darth vader), love of BDO's (pick something: Deathstars, Star Destroyers themselves, Ackbar's giant yet useless vessel, the Emperor's own even more gigantic and inversely proportional useless ship), improbable flight capabilities (trench warfare, flying through a ship, flying a couch strapped to two gigantic engines while explicitly being told humans can't possibly fly it), then it suddenly sucks.

Understanding the Star Wars fandom is beyond me. Now it's suddenly starting to be popular to like the prequels.
    Nicb1, stuart98 and wpmarshall like this.
  6. wpmarshall

I'd argue that theorising doesn't hype a film necessarily. Rather, people don't learn to consider that their theory may be false. Because they created the theory they get attached to it, and are therefore disappointed when it doesn't play out.
    Take me for example, I have a theory for SW8, but if it doesn't play out, I'll still enjoy the film - at least on first viewing because it is novel - it is telling a story.
    Game of Thrones is the same - I have my ideas of where the story will go. But I honestly can't see where the current series was "the worst ever" or "broken" as some are saying.
    To me it was stronger than the last 2, maybe 3 seasons combined. It actually moved the plot, it kept my attention. As opposed to the last 3 years of seeing Arya or whatever her name is figure out if she wants to be a faceless muppet or not, get beated while blindfolded endlessly and know that inevitably she will leave in order to use her skills elsewhere. Same with that harpy revolt stuff with Denarys (or however you spell it) - You know she is not going to stay there, the story line is annoying and repetitive waiting for bigger things to happen and so on. Anyway#tangent.

Star Wars originals by modern standards to me, are god awful. Like I say, I could sleep through 4,5 and the first half of 6 easily. Yes the story is its own thing, but after first viewing - you know what happens, you know where they need to go and all of a sudden, you don't care about the journey and just want the exciting stuff.
    Personally though, I quite like the cyclical storytelling - it keeps things contained while at the same time allowing many iterations within that container. Plus it's (in my eyes) quite unique, but maybe I haven't seen enough film.
    As for liking the prequels - I really like the background politics to it (it's what I like about GoT as well). The idea of masterminding both sides of a war to me is great and seeing it fleshed out in a universe with various ethical considerations (eg is Jedi code actually good question mark) is great.

As for the fandom - they are strange and they don't know what they want - like most people (which is part of the problem with hype).
    "Do you like star wars?"
    "Yeah, you?"
    "Awesome!!! I've connected with you on another level. Which movies are your favourite?"
    "'insert any number here'"
    "I hate you on another level - get away from me".

Just wat?
  7. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

I don't consider myself a star wars fan. I enjoyed the movies in the franchise mainly for their creativity. Then I saw TFA and:
    -A sequel/remake can't be good, you have to choose one or the other.
    -No originality: An ice world, a desert world, a droid that goes beep... but now it spins
    -In the star wars chronology: 3 movies about a glorious galactic republic that falls to an evil guy's plot. 3 movies about rebels fighting and defeating the evil empire. A 5 minutes scene to undo everything in the last 3 movies and go back to rebels against evil empire.
    My expectations were not seeing the same thing.

I also follow GoT and that "go north to get a zombie to show to cersei" is the most stupid thing in the show. I still like it, but it's getting sillier.
  8. Devak

Maybe i should emphasise this more, but i'm talking about the extreme theorists here. Everyone's had a little fantheory about how something went down or what came up.

I agree. I like them for the movies they are, and they do some clever stuff, but there's a lot of weirdness

The thing is, i like (aspects of) the cyclical story, like finding the hero in a desert. I mean, the Force is supposed to be connected to life, so the only way a powerful force user wouldn't instantly become a god is to make them grow up on a largely lifeless planet.

I like the idea of the prequels, but god did lucas try his hardest to make it suck. Darth Maul is just a waste of a perfectly good character, Count Dooku was really interesting until he was revealed to be a generic sith. I like how Palpatine played the long game here and all. But it's just all covered in a really bad movie, with wooden dialog and bad acting and bad directing.

I personally found it really weird that the death of the emperor would mean the instant defeat of the empire. I kind of always expected a sequel where the Empire struggled against internal fighting while the rebels struggle to set up a legitimate government. I mean the empire was pretty big, and there seemed to be many planets that didn't really seem to care about the empire deal. Why would the Empire just roll over, and why would many planets chose to side with the Rebels? Wouldn't the end of Jedi just unleash a huge galactic free-for-all?
    Last edited: October 12, 2017
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General