[REL] The UberMap

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by cola_colin, May 17, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

WARNING: If you use this client mod then expect a lot of client crashes.

So it's here, the first version of the Ubermap that works without any external tools.

Some pretty pictures first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features for now are:

- automatically creates a somewhat readable minimap for any planet you play on automatically when the game starts.
    - shows icons of units you have vision on. Units you have not vision on are only shown when they "change". If they stop changing (usually because you are out of vision range) they go half transparent and after a minute are completely removed. The commander icon stays half transparent.
    - the minimaps show a circle for your current camera position
    - the minimaps can be clicked to move the camera
    - you can give simple commands like move on the minimap just like on the real map
    - via space or a configured key you can open the big version. You can zoom into it to move the camera.
    - on the big version you can select units. Notice the selection priorities options to control what you select. You can configure hotkeys for the selection priorities as well.
    - In the options under Gameplay you can turn off the availability of the ubermap, so you only get the minimaps this has some performance advantages and I found that maybe not everyone actually wants the big version.
    - The maps will show spawns when you can select a spawn.

Problems:
    - I am overstating this a bit, please test it for yourself and report back! This mod will eat your computer. Especially your CPU will suffer, but it will also potentially eat another gigabyte of ram. It also forces PA to constantly update all unit positions which can cause network lag in large games. If you like 60 fps then this mod isn't for you. Maybe in 10 years...
    - This mod will lag your whole PA when you start a game for 30 to 60 seconds when it maps out the planets. This happens once per planet you encounter, after it caches the data. If the cached data should be wrong you can clear the whole cache in the UI options under Ubermap.
    - It may bug the game when you rewind time. Reload the UI in case you suddenly can't give commands anymore after rewinding time.
    - No radar blips are shown. No APIs for that, sorry.
    - No orders are shown. APIs are somewhat there, but not easy to easy and I got lazy and want to play.
    - The code (and the whole repository) is a bit ... chaotic right now. I will have to do some cleanup to delete all sorts of old code that was there for processing data from the old memory reader concept, but I want to play now.

It's on pamm. Click here to install.

This mod requires PA Titans, it will not work on vanilla.

Github: https://github.com/pamods/Minimap

A big thank you to @pinbender and Uber in general for his/their great support with the APIs. Pinbender really tailored some APIs exactly like I demanded them :D
    Last edited by a moderator: February 6, 2019
    huangth, Jaedrik, tatsujb and 16 others like this.
  2. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I just skimmed this but this sounds really impressive... gonna watch your video :)

edit: watched half of it, looks very impressive, too tired to really process it though. Lol @ 3:25 when you go "yep, great" at the inability-to-place-mex bug :D
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

That's awesome.

But still, the brown terrain on the map is pretty ugly. I know it's either impossible or very hard to unwrap the generated planets, but it would be awesome that way.
  4. cola_colin

You're free to make a modified version that uses weird looking glibber textures.
  5. cola_colin

This mod only supports 64 Bit Windows. So, assuming the detection works, your OS is 32 Bit or not Windows so not supported. I dont know how to implement this kind of thing for linux or mac. Sorry.

Yes making it display half transparent ghosts for enemy units that were visible not too long ago can be done and sounds like a helpful idea.

There is no need to configure the sizes, it all happens automatically.
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Refinement please:
    Remember the unit ID, and show the ghost as long as it is sighted in a different position, or the location would have been covered by intel, so it is proven that it can't be there any more.
  7. cola_colin

Good point. The exact implementation certainly will have to be more complex than I can describe in a single sentence. I'll think about it carefully once I do it. Multiple things to consider.
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. cola_colin

Updated with support for the new patch and a few bugfixes. The required memory reader program now allows you to by hand easily select the version or pid if that should not work by itself.

You will need to download the new version of the mod on pamm and the new version of the pa_accessor.jar from the link in the OP.
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

should be included in the game by default.
  10. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

but doesnt work with the current update yet?^^
  11. cola_colin

the patch changes actually were not the problem, the new reader version had a bug that made it die on unkown versions, even if they kept working. Fixed it, get the new reader from the OP
  12. tracert

tracert Member

This mod looks great but I can't get it to work. The map is there but shows no units and no alerts. Using it to move the camera around the planets works, as does giving unit commands via the map.

pa_accessor says it got a bad update id:

found PA process with pid 1072
    automatically determined PA version to be 82369
    received a bad update id 1433144028145 vs 0. Will send a reset update!

I'm running on Windows 8.1 64bit.
  13. cola_colin

one bad update id is normal.
    Start a game and the pa_accessor. Then open http://127.0.0.1:8184/pa/updateId/0/minPositionChange/1.5 in a browser. Does it show a list of units?
    If not then it fails to read anything at all from your client.
    Maybe Windows 8 handles the memory allocation different or even enables ASLR.
    To determine that somebody with Windows 8 would need to check what's inside pa.exe's memory space using cheat engine or a similar debugger. Maybe it is something simple that is different on Windows 8 that can be fixed. I just can't test.
    In the end I can only say that it appears to work on Windows 7 x64. I would assume/hope that Windows 8 isnt much different, but who knows.
    Anyone else who can test it on Windows 8? Or maybe even somebody who knows his way around cheatengine and has Windows 8?
  14. tracert

tracert Member

Going to that URL shows one line with empty lists:

{"updateId":1433160904533,"addedUnits":[],"addedCommands":[],"updatedCommands":[],"updatedUnits":[],"removedUnits":[],"removedCommands":[],"reset":true}
  15. cola_colin

Yeah that means the whole access to the memory space found nothing. That's not happening for me on my machine with Win x64
    Can anybody else test with Win 8 (and 7 as well?) I can only say it works on my machine. This kind of thing doesn't necessarily work on all machines in the same way.
  16. starhero14

starhero14 New Member

Windows 8.1 does infact use ASLR. Least from what I researched on. I also had a program that supposiviely bypasses that per EXE, processed by said program, but it didn't seem to work, Ubermap is still completely useless for me unless I reinstall to windows 7.

If windows 10, which is to drop in less then a month or so, does the same thing with memeory as windows 8.1, then cheat engine, and anything else like that reads memory in this fashion, will no longer work.
  17. cola_colin

Oh there are ways around it if you as the user have the executable you want to read from in your hand to modify, which is the case. However it is work....
  18. dephonic

dephonic New Member

Hi,

When I run pa_accessor.jar it says it doesnt support the latest version of planetary annihilation. Just wondering if this is going to be fixed? or is this mod no longer supported? cheers
  19. cola_colin

No longer supported. May be supported again, but it's a pain to fix it every patch and it only really works on Windows 7 x64 even when I fix it.
    Sorry
  20. dephonic

dephonic New Member

damn its such a good mod, so much better than your other map one, i would hate to see it die :(