20+ player FFA on friday - All invited!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lapsedpacifist, February 4, 2015.

1. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Sounds good, although if we get more than 20 people radius 1200 might be a bit small... 30 people on a radius 1200 would be pretty close quarters fighting, although I suppose that way a lot of people would be eliminated early which would reduce lag :p I would say just make 2 similar planets and have them both as starter planets, but orbital tends to be one of the biggest contributors to lag in big games. Plus if you had 20 people spawn on one and 10 on the other that would be majorly unbalanced.

Any thoughts? Any input on the map is welcome from anyone with good ideas.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Okay folks, on the basis of masterdigital's input above, we've decided to postpone this by a week.

Obviously it's silly to host one of these just before a wave of perf improvements hits, so we'd not be playing this on the main branch.

One of the things I was really hoping to get out of this was a lot of crop-in participation to get some people involved in the community - that wouldn't be possible if we had to move this into the PTE.

So, let's reconvene next Friday, start time will be either 2100hrs UTC or 2300hrs UTC, depending on the feedback we get on attendance at those two times.
    guest1, Remy561 and zihuatanejo like this.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Nuuu, just do it on Saturday plz. D=
  4. cwarner7264

If the perf improvements are live by then, maybe, but I really don't want to do this on the PTE because one of the main points of this is to demonstrate to people who might not be so heavily involved in the community just what the game is capable of :)
  5. squishypon3

Ah well, I suppose.

Sorry I've just been waiting all week, I'm finally using a good computer, with amazing interner.. >.>
  6. cwarner7264

I'll 1v1 you tonight to put it to use, k?
  7. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Can't wait for these improvements, Sorian mentioned them in global chat the other day and my anticipation has reached great levels. I played in a 32 player FFA a while back and it was a blast, so I am looking forward to more of the same. I'm going to shamelessly pimp my video of that last game now, so you can all have a taste of the madness and of the sim slowdown that hopefully, come the PTE, will be gone, or at least significantly reduced!

Trying to carve out a base, expand, get metal, produce, tech up, whilst all the time you can see suspicious enemy movements on your radar from all sides, makes for a great game :) So glad I kickstarted this!

8. zihuatanejo

23:00 UTC best for me. Also, what the hell does 'crop-in' mean? :p
  9. squishypon3

Aight, I'll get on the global chat sometime after my classes, around 9pm your time i thiiiink. :D
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Such people won't have PA Stats anyway. So they won't be able to join your game unless you somehow tell them.
    And once they have PA Stats you can tell them about it in the global chat.
    proeleert likes this.
  11. cwarner7264

Ah, true. But I'd say a larger proportion of the playerbase have PA Stats than would play PTE. A significantly larger proportion even.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That is why I build the global chat. It does not care for PTE or stable. So a person in stable can be told to get the PTE to play.
  13. cwarner7264

INTRIGUE. Let me discuss this with my esteemed colleagues in the chat.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@cwarner7264, @lapsedpacifist don't you think it would be interesting to do a then and now comparison on the server performance?

Why not run this Friday on stable, then host the same map next week on the new build for comparison? Its not like pa can't handle quite a lot already... :)
  15. zihuatanejo

We already know what it was like back then. I'm all for waiting for the server updates to be pushed, be it to PTE or to stable.
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I've played a few big matches recently and performance is better now than it was, so I still think it'd be an interesting comparison as it will isolate only the most recent improvements....
  17. zihuatanejo

I didn't think there had been any server performance improvements in the last few months?

Also, for such a rare event, I'd rather play it safe if it only means waiting a week or two.
  18. squishypon3

The cult does these things quite often, they do a lot of 5v5v5s AFAIK.
  19. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

15? Pitiful :p

We're aiming for 40, as promised in the kickstarter.
  20. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I noticed a type in the title. You put FFA. Don't you mean FFAs? :DDD