A Question for Planetary Annihilation Backers & Pre-Orderers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by doomgamer93, June 7, 2013.

1. doomgamer93

doomgamer93 New Member

I would like to preface this by saying that I have been interested in Planetary Annihilation since it first became available on Kickstarter, and have quietly followed its progress & development over the last 10 months. I am sure most of you would agree that it looks like it is shaping up to be an exceptional, extremely fun to play game, in the same vein as the two previous titles released by Uber Entertainment, Monday Night Combat & Super Monday Night Combat.

However, with the impending release of this game via Steam's early access program, I am reminded of another tendency of this particular developer, one that prevented me from contributing any money during their Kickstarter, or via their pre-order system in the interim. Both of Uber's previous titles, Monday Night Combat & Super Monday Night Combat, released to critical acclaim - 82 & 76 on Metacritic, respectively, but both died about 6 months after release, due to poor developer support. Graph of MNC & SMNC player counts: http://goo.gl/oi85R

I know many of you are eager to get into the alpha and/or beta, which means you felt comfortable supporting Uber Entertainment at the $40-$60 range in the case of beta players, and at $90 or more in the case of alpha players. My question for you, as well as the others who pre-ordered or kickstarted this game is, why do you think Planetary Annihilation's fate will be any different? What is going to prevent Uber Entertainment from abandoning your game & moving on to another project while watching your game die? Perhaps, as was the case for Super MNC, launching another Kickstarter while simply pretending that nothing is wrong.

TL;DR - Uber Entertainment has a track record of making fantastic games, then dropping support for them & watching them die. Why will Planetary Annihilation be any different?
  2. jcfisher3rd

jcfisher3rd New Member

Re: A Question for Planetary Annihilation Backers & Pre-Orde

Obvious troll.

Tiki Tournament Flair Code

ymg-omxh-7n9

Redeem this code in game.
  3. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

Well mod support is the obvious answer.
  4. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

But mods have no sense of humor. :lol:
  5. dogtag93

dogtag93 New Member

TA has been unsupport for years but there is still a huge fan base that plays and mods it. Even if Uber does this, the game will continue especially sense they are making it more easy to mod.
  6. northbehemoth

northbehemoth New Member

I feel, the original post holds some things that maybe have not been addressed yet even if there is a very huge lack of respect. However, the faith that this community has in this game is I would go as far as to say un-rivaled. This does not mean that the game will not die, however it has the potential to go much farther then the others you stated because of it's ties to TA. And the mods which were applied to TA keeps it alive even too this day. As per starting another KS and just abandoning the supporters of one of your bigger chances to be known for something great. I will assume the team at uber, has a lot more sense then you seem to give them credit for.
  7. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

Computer programs typically don't have feelings at all so I hardly see how humour is even relevant.

---

To further address the concern, PA is already paid for. Uberent notably went almost bankrupt creating MNC, then abandoned it in favor of further developing the game into SMNC. Which, obviously, was far too in-depth a change than to simply be an MNC update. Not to mention financial concerns; MNC was unlikely to sell many copies at that point.

As for SMNC, Smince always hinged on the success of its F2P model. Like any F2P game, it's projected lifespan was "as long as it remains profitable," or until it was feature complete. It lasted as long as it could, which wasn't long, considering, but it was not abandoned for any arbitrary reason.

PA is different. It's already been totally funded. Uber got two mil out of the Kickstarter campaign, which will be enough to carry it to release. Depending how much it sells, they will continue to update it, until such a time where it has lost profitability or is feature complete in the eyes of the developers, at which point Uber will pull the live team. There is also the modding community, as I previously mentioned.

In short, the circumstances surrounding PA are significantly different and much more stable than that of Uber's previous games. Your fears are entirely short sighted and unfounded.
  8. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Like others have stated we will have mod support which always expands a games life cycle.

It will be multiplatform in a few weeks and don't underestimate Linux users support of games on the platform.

We are helping to shape the game to how we like it before its officially released, meaning if support is ever dropped after official release at least we shaped a decent game...
  9. doomgamer93

doomgamer93 New Member

10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

bradaz85 likes this.