What's up this week? 11/22/12

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, November 22, 2012.

1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Today/tomorrow is an official Uber holiday. Yes I'm still coding every day.

First off we now have pre-orders live for the game. We've also announced another commander, the Theta commander. Everyone who's already in will get access to him so don't worry about that. There has been a huge clamoring for us to open allow more backers since the ks ended which is why we have pre-orders open now.

I'm continuing my work on the terrain system. I've made good progress here but there is still quite a bit of work to do. Currently working on the texturing system. There is still some geometry work to do but most of the heavy lifting is finished. The procedural generation system is working but will continue to have work put into it in a big way as well.

Elijah is working on writing the pathfinding and unit motion pipelines. Basically he's building a suite of libraries and test applications to put pathfinding through it's paces. This also includes the flow field stuff.

Sorian has mostly been working on infrastructure for the rest of the game but will be getting to AI fairly soon. Most recently he was re-doing the resource system so that we can support auto-reloading of assets. This is really useful for anyone building assets for the game.

WJ is working on the UI system and implementing the UI for the planetary system editor.

William is working on the client/server architecture. This has been described elsewhere but is a pretty incredible leap over our previous engine designs IMHO.

Art continues on as well but I'll let Steve talk about that sometime in more detail.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Heeeeeeey, where's all the juicy modding stuff you sorta-kinda hinted at talking about? D:

Mike
  3. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

And the pictures.
  4. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Don't forget to add the links.
  5. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Thank's for the update, neutrino! Have a nice holiday! :mrgreen:
  6. Causeless

Causeless Member

"Sorian has mostly been working on infrastructure for the rest of the game but will be getting to AI fairly soon. Most recently he was re-doing the resource system so that we can support auto-reloading of assets. This is really useful for anyone building assets for the game."
  7. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

I guess maybe in the SMNC forum.

How much work, do you put effort in which type of the game? I mean, which stage or level takes the most time? Infrastructure, content, test and so on.. ?

Thanks for the update!
  8. Consili

Consili Member

9. magicide1

magicide1 Member

Interesting to see an acid planet archetype.. caustic water and acid rain? Brings back wonderful memories of meteor showers in TA hitting solar plants and causing blackouts.
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks for this weekly update Neutrino.
    It's nice to read all the team is fully working on development.
    Are there additional people doing some coding or art stuff ?
    I can't wait to watch all this in action :ugeek:
  11. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Well, I am not a programmer but I can understand your poroblems with the UI.
    For this early concept the little config window looks pretty good anyway.
    I am looking forword tothe next livestream.
  12. cptkilljack

cptkilljack Member

How long do you plan on having the preorders open. Seeing if i can get some more people to order it.
  13. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We don't have any intention of shutting the pre-orders down, though the specifics of which pre-order packages are available will likely change over time (Offering alpha access when we're in beta, for instance, wouldn't make any sense!)
  14. svip

svip Member

Offering pre-orders when you've released won't either!
  15. thepyro13

thepyro13 Member

They'll just become pro-orders. :p
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Buncha comedians. :)
  17. poncegabriel

poncegabriel New Member

Neutrino and the guys at there best. I can't wait to hear more. Checking weekly's is like going to church on Sunday's.
  18. norsa

norsa New Member

Any streams planned for the near future? :)
  19. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Neutrino, when is the next livestream and could you manage that the chat is free for all even non registered viewers?

Plan for a new "What´s up this week 11/28/12" ?
  20. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We'll keep the information flow going. Really trying to keep heads down this week though to finish up some stuff so we have some cool stuff to show.