[Discontinued] KNight's Unit Design Thread

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, August 20, 2012.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Alright, so I'm gonna make a little bit of a Table of Contents for my finished models, I set these thumbnails and linked them all to the post with the larger pics so if something catches your eye just give it a click!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Re: Hey Guys, I made the first PA FanArt!

ooo

mind sharing the file so I could look closer?
  3. KNight

No! It's not done yet! :p Besides, I doubt you have the correct 3D app to open it ;p

Mike
  4. knickles

What's the proper 3d app?
  5. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Nice :D

I guess the D-gun looks double-barreled or something...

If the vanilla PA doesn't have a secondary faction, here's to hoping you guys (or 'we' as the community) can rectify that :p
  6. KNight

XSI|SOFTIMAGE

If you watch reallllly carefully you can see some other angles of the commander in the "Crowd scenes" before it rockets to the moon, in one of those you can see 2 glowy lights on the gun arm.

Yeah, I've been working on the BlackOps Mods for SupCom:FA for the last 4 years, click the image in my Sig.

Mike
  7. knickles

Well... autodesk provides all their stuff for free...

so it's just a download away...
  8. hotrod92

hotrod92 New Member

That's awesome! Now let's see it brought into Supreme Commander!
  9. JWest

JWest Active Member

Be a real man and show us the mesh ;)

EDIT: Is the mesh on? You've got a lot of Ngons there... I'm still a noob modeler though, I don't want to act like I really know my stuff or anything, but you'd ideally want to keep things 4-sided (avoid them crazy triangles and avoid Ngons, wherever possible).

Overall though, damn good looking, especially for only having one reference photo.

EDIT 2: Ooh, can you export as an .obj? 'Cause I could totally texture it. Just for funzees... It would be good practice for me, and hey, it's fan art stuff, right? Teamwork FTW!
  10. knickles

11. KNight

That is the mesh! ;p

You're half right. Triangles are perfectly fine, in fact 9 times out of 10 when you export something into a game engine it gets turned into triangles anyways. 4-sided Polys are also fine and are generally the tool of choice, the ones you want to stay away from are polys with more than 4 sides, cause weird things can happen to those when they get triangulated(turned into triangles). everything here is 4-sided(or 3-sided) except for the inset area below the chest, but above the hips, and that's only because I haven't done ANY optimization yet, like I said it's still a WIP.

I actually made a mini-collage of 6 pics, thought the 3 biggest ones are all from more or less the same angle and pose xD(they're from when the Commander first lands on the planet and moon) the rest are from the "crowd shots" on the planet.

Eh, wouldn't look all that great surrounded by SupCom units ;p

Mike
  12. JWest

JWest Active Member

Ah, I didn't realize it would get triangulated (triangle-afied?) in the game engine anyway. I have a habit of breaking my edge loops when I'm trying to fix stuff and ending up with weird triangles all over the place... Anyway, do you have any way of exporting it into a file that'll work in Maya? Maya will read .obj files if your program can export into those. I'm trying to brush up on my texture skills... brush up... see what I did there... eh? I'm hilarious.
  13. xedi

xedi Active Member

Penalty for non-convex polygons: $40, by Paypal to the developers.
  14. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

I actualy wanted to try and start to learn modelling too for this game, I even dreamed about remaking that o.o
  15. KNight

I've already marked down a grand for them, I think I'm payed up for awhile ;p

Well as said, Triangles(it is Triangulated BTW ;p) are fine, and 4-sided are fine too, it's only 5-sided and up that cause issues, stick to 3 and 4 sided and you'll be fine.

Good to hear! The more artists the Better! During my 4 years Modding SupCom it was always the Lack of Artists that help back lots of potential mods.

Mike
  16. JWest

JWest Active Member

Learning to model on your own is pretty intense. Blender is the usual option, but its interface is... less than friendly. I'm being formally trained on Maya, and at one point I tried to learn Blender so that I could produce some commercially viable work (you can't produce commercial work with the student version of Maya), and I could not figure that program out at all. If you think Maya looks confusing, wait til you try Blender. Nothing in that program makes sense at all. It is free though, and for a free program it is mighty powerful once you get the hang of it (from what I've seen).
  17. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

I found Maya easier, I still don't know how to actualy model but I hope that I can get soon to making my own textures and such. I can't understand crap in Blender :lol:
  18. JWest

JWest Active Member

Texturing will come later, get your modeling fundamentals down first ;) And when it comes time to unwrap, look into getting this little program called Roadkill. Maya's pretty terrible at unwrapping, and it's usually easier to unwrap in third party programs. Roadkill just happens to be one of the free ones. Anyway, unwrapping UV maps is one of those things that'll come later. Get your basics down first.
  19. knickles

Not to derail the thread too far away from PA, but I always find it funny when people say this.

Why? I've started on blender and gotten used to it. Tried Maya about a month ago... haven't touched it since because it felt so foreign. (Though... I imagine once I feel comfortable with my own modeling skeeelz, I'll revisit maya)
  20. JWest

JWest Active Member

I had the reverse experience, and I pretty much figured it's about that way with any program. When you're raised on one program other programs that do the same thing feel foreign, especially something as complex as 3D modeling programs. Maya and Blender are both very complex programs, and although they do essentially the same thing, they're both very different, so it's hard to get use to using one if you were trained on the other.