Wargaming acquired TA IP.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by ucsgolan, July 21, 2013.

1. Artamentix

Artamentix Member

Wargaming may currently do F2P games, but they have not always done so (their earlier works being standard retail games). Just because they struck gold with World of Tanks (and the like) doesn't mean that's what they are going to do until the end of time.

It may be interesting to consider that being self sufficient they may have the means to develop and self publish there own triple-A games or equivalent without the hassle of having to find a publisher and alter their vision of a game because of it.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The Staff that founded Uber Worked on RTSs.

Mike
  3. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

I wonder on what GPG works before :roll:
  4. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Yeah, but who is doing the decisions on what type of game they work on, now that they've been bought up by Wargaming? ;)
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Probably not CT himself. But it would be kinda weird to buy the TA rights and not use them.
    Planktum likes this.
  6. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Well, there was a game called End of Nations, that was supposed to be F2P MMORTS. It's currently being remade into Moba, but that doesn't mean the entire concept couldn't work. And if you look at something like Airmech, which is not RTS, but kinda similar... I'm not sure about scale and macro orientation of TA/PA, but strategies can work in f2p. And since there are no f2p strategies yet, it may be a niche Wargaming might fill.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

fixed.

that's what I was implying. "don't juge a book by it's cover" is basically what I was saying
    Last edited: July 21, 2013
  8. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Did you miss the two quotes?
    :|
  9. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

1 thing i now, and we from FA/FAF still got in mind,and we will never forghet!
    CT and gpg,have no respect to ower community they total abandoned us.
    When we all where enjoy the game even without any kind updates almost since begin,they don´t ask us iff we could suport the server,they just close it ,we have pay for it!
    You think CT make a video talk to us sry guys?

Sry CT i won´t accept you´r Apologise!
    Iff wheren´t ZE-Pilot and some other gods that make FaForever lobby,without no 1 pay them ,they wast hours days months, off their lives ,to find a way to we play on a new lobby,that now its bether then 100 GPG lobbys,got a professional interface that i never saw before.
    And remenber where a few guys without no one pay them make it,thats wy i stay confuse when i see ( we need that money amount to reatch that goal to make that) i agreed that most things need money obvius,but others i don´t get...

All this to say i not trust moore on CT,i play since TA to FAF ,and i see on this rts community a diferent kind players. so no 1 showld abondon us.

All he have to say was just a sry and ask for help!
    Thats wy i like Uber they listen us ......

This was the best they have done!

Attached Files:

Last edited: July 21, 2013
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yea but if you listen to the interview I posted above you'll see how supportive CT was of FAF.

please for future posts write your text in word first then copy paste. The grammar and spell check correct will help a lot.
  11. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

I now you right i got lot problems on english.
    what can i do! you guys have to sry me for that.
    In witch way have CT suport us?
    Talk by 1 time on faf +1 year later?
    But maybe im rong about him, i just feel he left us without care....
    Where is this guy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etOMBEBGbW4 that got ideas, that world never saw before?
  12. thepilot

He did not close GPGNET, THQ did.

And I honestly can't think of any game developer that come on a community chat talking about stuff for two hours while he has nothing to sell (Wildman kickstarter was months later).

He also answered all the email I've wrote him, and that's way more than I can say about every developer or editor I've emailed in my life.

Neutrino did come a few times too on FAF, but it was during the kickstarter campaign.. (and I never had any answer to my email so far :))
  13. comham

comham Active Member

TA and Battlezone, two of my favourite 90's games. Any sequel to battlezone, I'd like it to use loads of physics. Like KSP, perhaps.

I miss the action-strategy genre. Some guys are making a battlezone spiritual remake (Bionite: Origins) but the project had a rocky episode a while back. Looking like it's back on track now though. http://www.moddb.com/games/bionite-origins.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

All Uber guys are really busy for all the time, it's true that it's extremely hard to make good RTS such PA for less than $2M ($2.3M minus kickstarter and amazon fees).

Did you see last stream (June 28)? When I watch it I think that garat doesn't slept for 3 weeks or so. :cry:
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Not everyone know about that, but before WoT was done Wargaming (wikipedia with game list) made multiple RTS games which probably wasn't perfect like TA, but they was good.

Order of War (last Wargaming game before WoT) also have awesome Jeremy Soule music and TA fans should really like it.
    You can check OST on youtube and complete sountrack on some russian website, but I think you find where to click.

So I actually think that we have some chances to see proper PC RTS from GPG, because Wargaming it's not some Korean MMO developer and actually Victor Kislyi (founder of Wargaming) it's really interesting guy who have money on it and actually he had ambitions to make some big RTS (many years ago I've read interview with him).
  16. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

On topic: Someone had to get the IP, from the looks of it it's going to a company with a person who worked on TA. Which is cool. At least it's not like the whole MJ owning the rights to the Beatles fiasco. From everything I've read on here and heard/seen in the videos/livestreams Uber is trying to create something great based on TA because it's something that's been a part of things they've all worked on in the past.

Maybe something like that will happen from Wargaming.

Off Topic (a little):
    Honestly, it's all about perspective, and not thinking solely in terms of "multiple battlefields". I've looked into 3d chess fan rules from star trek a little, and it's not about thinking about 3 boards, its about thinking of the setup as ONE board, with an extra dimension. Almost like thinking of layers in a cube, different sections of one object. In our case planets and moons are the sections, and unfortunately (according to some) you cannot see the whole board (yet?). But it's still one gamespace/map/object. Moving from planet to planet is like kinging in checkers. Normal pieces are restricted to forward movement (or in this case stuck on a planet), but as soon as it reaches the other side (in our case you tech up enough for interplanetary transport), you can move it anywhere.

Then again, I also think/hope that Uber has some serious plans for icons/etc at the celestial level, so even if you can't icon-fight like supcom, you will be able to have digestable information that will also reinforce the idea of it being one gamespace. In other words, with the right UI it won't be a "genius savant" only thing.

I guess this comment really needs to be in the "is 3d terrain a gimmick" thread, but the context is in this one.
  17. thepilot

That's why I'm saying that what CT did is extremely rare, if not unique in the game development world.
    Maybe Tim Shafer is another exception, he often spend some evening playing online with his community too. (and he is not that bad :)

We invited him for a couple of minutes, he finally spend two hours, on his free time, just after coming back from a game developer convention.

I'm not expecting any Uber member to do the same thing, I was defending CT because some people thinks he doesn't care about his community.
    He is also the first one to acknowledge the mistakes they did with supcom 2 (and to be honest, I take a supcom 2 anytime over a starcraft or CoH).
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Wow, this apparently is touchy.

Honestly, i bet this change of hands happened because Uber started PA and made people even remember TA in the grand scheme again. People like me vaguely remember TA and picked up the sequel only to never look this way again until now.

So, Uber is right to not try too hard for the rights, in the end of the day Uber will be remembered for the modern respark of this all, while TA2 will just be remembered as another terrible sequel that followed Ubers game and overall just stole money from those who didn't know better than to buy just a name.

However, i could totally dig multiple forums of the same game, minecraft and terrariaand cubeworld all being enjoyable flavors even though all sandbox. I enjoy flavors, if TA2 tastes good id accept that and would give my blessings to both. I just am skeptical as everyone else about it not just being a poor quality clone or a unique version with some assanine one way balance.
  19. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Why the Frick is everyone making conclusions? There hasn't been an announcement for TA2 yet.

A CT driven TA2 might be crap, then again it might be amazing.

Keep the wild speculation in your pants, please.
  20. Daddie

Daddie Member

Well.. I think you can make a RTS for 2.3M BUT only if you have the best programmers, artists, etc.. to work on it and keep the team lean.. Did you know there is a factor 10 difference in programmers productivity between programmers? I believe it was IBM that had a major project with 250 people nad they could not finish it. They fired the whole team and a single developer finished the project alone!! in 2 weeks!!