Dummbing down

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Timevans999, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

Yeah I know - but consider SC was 500 units per team - even going to say 10,000 units per team, unit selection will become more of a problem.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's still pretty exccessive, also don't forget unlike SupCom The 'map' is greatly broken up between planets, moons and asteroids, so it's like of an issue of trying to pick out 50 units out of 10,000, and more like selecting 50 units out of 1,000.

Mike
  3. gmorgan

gmorgan Member

You are fighting a losing game making this argument on gaming fora. I've long tried to explain how technical complexity can actually limit options but people can't grasp it. Usually the more complex you get options get eliminated rather than created. If I'm stood on an open field I can go wherever I want. If I'm stood next to a wall with fire screaming behind me and rocks falling from the sky I have fewer places to go.

Extra complexity limits options. For all the extra units in Sup Com people used to build the same stuff all the time. Fewer options that integrate tend to expand and branch the option tree. Adding extra options that stand independently increases the likelihood of something broken being introduced. When that happens you no longer have the options you once did. Suddenly you have to use this broken thing or lose.
  4. KNight

You'll have to enlighten me on the 'extra' units, by late game you had a very limited selection of units for any particular theater of war.

Mike
  5. gmorgan

gmorgan Member

The point is Sup Com had hundreds of units. Most of which weren't viable. People stuck to very narrow strategies. The more combinations you put in the more likely you are to find something that is just outright strong.

The tiers were a bit broken. Combinations across tiers should usually be the ideal strategy rather than massing units in a particular tier for victory then and there.
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

SupCom also had a tendency to shovel useless units on to a strategy. Mass Storages were the singularly most stupid unit in the entire game.
  7. veta

veta Active Member

i liked the picture you painted, well put

SupCom had far fewer types of unit interactions than TA, this was partly due to the projectile changes in FA. Projectile simulation is a simple rule that can create a great variety of natural depth though. In Spring, this depth is manifested through the use of unit classes.
  8. KNight

This is due to the tiers, because of the way they chose to set up the tiers it led to needing 'equivalents' across the tiers. But that doesn't mean they're 'useless', it just means you only use a certain subset of units at a time. This shouldn't be a problem with PA assuming Uber sticks to the plan they seem to have laid out.

Mike
  9. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

i cant wait to crush the rush. Surely it wont be a viable strategy anymore.
  10. Timevans999

Also could bulletmagnet stop abusing me. Ever since i lambasted him for trolling me he's been like a dog with a bone.
  11. KNight

Rushing hasn't been viable since Commanders have started the game.....I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Mike
  12. Timevans999

Rush is viable in forged alliance on little maps that any little low frequency quad can run. what i mean is when others lag, i wont be.
  13. KNight

So wait, first you talk Strategy, then Hardware, then Networking? What are you talking about?

Mike
  14. Timevans999

look chap supcom would not run for years. When the hardware arrived to run it the strategy and gameplay improved massively.
  15. KNight

That's not how it works, Hardware doesn't create strategy, the strategy was there a long, your system just couldn't handle running the game.

Yes, at release it had a bad habit of being a system hog, but unless you where seriously below the min specs it was still playable, the systems I had for most of SupCom's life was a really shitty core duo system, with only 2 gigs of ram and cheap video card, but all the strategy was still there.

Mike
  16. Timevans999

Totally and whole heartedly disagree with you on that chap. Core 2 systems cannot handle 80km. Unless your talking about the q9650@4.0Ghz with 8gigs and the first wave of sata3 ssds.
  17. KNight

And what about the rest of the maps?

Mike
  18. Timevans999

They are nearly all good big or small but not regardless of computer performance.
  19. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I'm still not sure what this thread is about.
  20. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

The "Dummbing down" of course... It's a sandwich offered by KFC. It contains bacon, two different kinds of melted cheese, the Colonel’s secret sauce... pinched in between two pieces of Original Recipe chicken fillets.

Mmmmm... fattening.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.